The 650 Dakar Thread

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by underwaterguru, Mar 10, 2009.

1. tmotten

tmotten Lefthand ride Dutchy

Oddometer:
    Who's put wave rotors on? Is there a cheaper option to the Galfer one?
  2. TwilightZone

TwilightZone Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    >"Hey guys. I really dont like how the sidestand flexs on my Dakar....has anyone found a fix for it??"

I think the flex really isn't in the sidestand... it comes from the hokey attachment to the subframe. I think there was a guy who 'fixed' his over on F650.com Put in a new bushing and re-arranged it a bit.
  3. twinrider

twinrider Pass the catnip

Oddometer:
  4. twinrider

Oddometer:
    One more question... Anyone know if this chain comes with a rivet-type master link? Emailed the seller through Amazon but hoping to get quicker confirmation.

[​IMG]

EK Chain 520 SRX Quadra X-Ring Chain - 112 Links 701-520SRX-112
  5. mrprez

mrprez KJ4WMZ

Oddometer:
    The reviews I have read say clip style master link.
  6. Gravel Seeker

Gravel Seeker Old, growing older.

Oddometer:
    Dreary old Norway, dreaming of adventures past
  7. Parx400

Parx400 Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I have them. You need to use his bar clamp since the hand guard mounts there. I have not ridden with them yet but its all high quality stuff.
  8. twinrider

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the info, will see if I can order a rivet master link.
  9. kubiak

kubiak Long timer

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]
    added a new rack today, got it off a ktm950sm for 10 bucks. weighs 1 lbs so not bad.
  10. Parx400

Parx400 Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Well I picked up a power commander for the bike. Indysuperbikes has them listed for 350, that's 150 off the retail. The F650 gs ones comes with wideband built in so you can see the A/F ration in the map recording.
  11. soloyosh

soloyosh Dad and husband Supporter

Oddometer:
    I've got the HDB mirrors.

It takes some fittling to with the angle of the guards themselves to get the mirrors in a position that's useful when extended. They are stable on the highway as they are essentially in 1 position.

If my Aprilia didn't already have Double-Take mirrors, I'd buy the HDB ones.
  12. Gravel Seeker

Oddometer:
    Yeah, that's what I was wondering :D Does it (the bar clamp) fit our bikes or are the hole patterns off
  13. soloyosh

soloyosh Dad and husband Supporter

Oddometer:
    Paul at HDB is all about customer service. I believe he does have a clamp for our bikes. My bike has the TT/WP forks and shock. It has a clamp that's totally different than anything else. He had a clamp made for me, no extra charge. Just took a bit longer.

Can't argue with that.

The guards themselves are perfectly suited to a heavy bike like ours.
  14. mattomoto

mattomoto 2 wheels rule

Oddometer:
    I use the HDB guards/mirrors also. They have been on the bike for like 7-8 years now. I have beaten the crap out of them with no problems. Paul even remarked that he should upgrade mine since they were so old! :rofl
    Mirrors work great on highway speeds and fold in very nice and easy for trails. I have a Yammie fork so just use the stock top clamp for those, but he does make (and usually stocks) the top clamp for the stock F fork.

[​IMG]
  15. Gravel Seeker

Oddometer:
    Would think they all come together somewhere so that approach sounds like a possibility. I've also removed the sidestand switch since it meltet against the exhaust and only caused problems. Don't really feel the need to remove the clutch switch though. What you're never going to start it in gear with the clutch out anyway
  16. Gravel Seeker

Oddometer:
    I've always used JT sprockets and never felt anything was wrong witht them. They wear and must be replaced with the chain at about 15-18.000km (at least for me). Grinding sound comes from the chain when it's worn out. At least that's my experience. New chain and the grinding noise disappeared.
  17. Gravel Seeker

Oddometer:
    After all those km's you'd be best off having it replaced or at least serviced if that's an option.
    I'd give you my old one, but I'm afraid it's already been around the world once and is lacking about 5cm worth of static sag in gas after a El cheapo repair of a worn out top bushing.
  18. Gravel Seeker

Oddometer:
    You probably have a motocross shop in Romania ? I know when I bought my Öhlins the suspension guy just ordered component and built the whole shock from the ground up hence it should be possible to just buy the spring too :dunno I'm pretty sure an MX shop would be a good place to start
  19. Gravel Seeker

Oddometer:
    I'm seriously considering just shipping my bike over to you cause I know I'll never be able to get mine anywhere near how pretty your is. Filth I tell you.
  20. Gravel Seeker

Oddometer:
    Alright, sweet. Thanks guys. So just specify that they are for a GS when ordering then.
    Now to figure out if can make them work with the new headlight and home made dash (that has to fit both IMO computer and Zumo 660) and actually have it look half decent.....

Anyone tried this by the way ?