the DR650 thread

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by sleepywombat, May 1, 2006.

1. ER70S-2

ER70S-2 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Some ktms with oversize tanks use vacuum pumps to pull the fuel up to the carb from the lower lobes in some tanks. I think that pump is external (not in the tank), seems somewhere near the carb, IIRC.

Safari and IMS use an internal vacuum pump in their oversize aftermarket tanks for the WR250R.
  2. ER70S-2

ER70S-2 Long timer

Oddometer:
    :beer
  3. kezzajohnson

kezzajohnson kezza

Oddometer:
    Or even better was what I did and that was to cut the line about 5 or 6 cms from the float bowl and put in a t-piece (I got mine from an aquarium shop). Add back on the piece that was cut off back on to bottom of t-piece and run it back down where it was. Add an extra length of line to the t and run it up into the frame back bone near the airbox under the seat. My DR could sit in knee deep water all day and keep running with the bottom line blocked off.
  4. Kommando

Kommando Long timer

Oddometer:
    The sticker price means nothing. What matters is the OTD price and what you have to pay in financing.

Is Suzuki still offering 0% financing for 60mos on the DR650? If so, put only enough down to not need GAP insurance.
  5. Kommando

Kommando Long timer

Oddometer:
    What kind of nasty offroad?

I like the IRC TR8 up front for our sand and mud. It also runs nice on the slab for me. You can run a more-aggressive DOT knob up front for really nasty stuff, but it'll probably be more expensive and/or not last as long. I get around 8K-9K miles out of a front TR8 for about $52, and it's slightly more aggressive than something like a front TKC80.

You could also try one of the several Pirelli DOT front knobs that are very popular.
  6. Yinzer Moto

Yinzer Moto Long timer

Oddometer:
    I too would be interested in this. I rotated my carb inlet tube, I have not run my tank down low since. Maybe I need to drain a lot of gas out of my tank and to ride around with a small gas can on the back of the bike.
  7. french horn

french horn Just Add venture

Oddometer:
    I had maybe an inch of fuel in each side ... definitely over the petcock inlet ...... died.

it'd be great if you'd do this test, then I'd know if it's "just me" or not.
  8. DockingPilot

DockingPilot Hooked Up and Hard Over

Oddometer:
    I ran mine down to, and then below reserve on the Acerbis with petcock turned yesterday. Pulled into Shell station under power and she drank 5.1 gals.
  9. chrishsu

chrishsu Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    PM sent.
    Thanks so much!
  10. x32792

x32792 Cracker American

Oddometer:
    The whole condensed truth.
  11. The_Precious_Juice

The_Precious_Juice MC_Rider

Oddometer:
    71 Highway miles were munched up easily

The KLR foot pegs are great!

The recon 5 sleeping bag folded in the tarp is good for 74miles or so.
    I have to sometimes rest one foot at lights :eek1. My views are commanding :1drink

Stock carb. After 158 miles,
    all I needed was 2.6 gallons! That is 60 mpg. Mostly 55-65 mph highway ajd interstate. Some 70mph and some rolling the throttle to pass Mid Atlantic folk

The DR's generously tall 5th gave me good acceleration.
    Glad I did not go CRF250L and little dr.

Relaxing in Lot 9 camping at Dover Downs .
    Inmate Headcheckman got me on in!
    [​IMG]

Here is Jeff Gordon celebrating his 92 win.

[​IMG]

On 5th street in Phili

[​IMG]
  12. thump!

thump! Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Tires - many options and opinions. FWIW I've been running inexpensive ones om my DR for awhile. IRC TR8 on the front. Duro HF904 on the rear. I don't usually replace both at once, but I did this last time because of my TAT trip. These tires just turned over 4,000 miles. About 50/50 paved/unpaved. Some 70mph pavement. About 3K of the total was with 50 lbs of gear on board. The rear shows more wear but will go at least 6k. The front more like 8 or 9 I think. This combination works very well for my type of riding.
    [​IMG]
  13. acap650

acap650 acap650

Oddometer:
    I assume you mean the last of the fuel available on reserve thus reducing your reserve distance. If that is the case I would modify the main pickup straw (the longer one) making it even longer. You will go on reserve sooner but have more fuel available for your reserve distance.

It seems easier and safer to do this rather than adding another sub-system (fuel pump) that could cause problems. It's not like there is a shortage of fuel with the Safari tank, I mean so what if there is a half liter in there at the end.
  14. Yinzer Moto

Yinzer Moto Long timer

Oddometer:

Lol

I have heard once the tanks relax a bit, they can take on more fuel.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  15. Yinzer Moto

Yinzer Moto Long timer

Oddometer:

I'll try and do that this week.

16. Yinzer Moto

Yinzer Moto Long timer

Oddometer:

It is not so much as reducing the reserve distance, my bike would quit before it even hit reserve, not enough pressure to push the fuel into the carb. Made no difference if I turned it to reserve.

17. basketcase

basketcase lifelong reject fixer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Any thoughts on the new 2015 DR650S?

It seems new graphics and cartridge type forks are the only changes.

I sold my '08 DR earlier this year and have a wild fantasy about fuel injection coming at some point. Apparently not for the '15 models.
  18. Yinzer Moto

Yinzer Moto Long timer

Oddometer:

I don't think the forks have been changed. The BNG that add 6hp and 10ftlb of torque.

19. SantaFeTrailer

SantaFeTrailer still social distancing

Oddometer:
    My starter switch is gone and the PO rigged something on a chunk of (sharp) aluminum bolted to the top clamp. I also don't like the stupid kill switch that requires me to remove my glove to get a thumbnail under the edge to pull it back out. Soo... I just ordered one of these from Highway Dirt Bikes:

[​IMG]

I'll post up how it works out for me.

20. refokus

refokus Hmmmmmm Supporter

Oddometer:
    :huh