The Yamaha TW200 Thread...

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by neepuk, Jan 10, 2009.

1. frog13

frog13 Long timer

Oddometer:
    When you folks say "top end" are you wanting less RPM's at speed (55 mph---65 mph)?.....or are you thinking you'll have better pull at those speeds with less teeth on the rear?.Since the TW forum is back up,and if folks have not been there.....go and read that forum's in-depth facts on this topic.....the riders on that forum have taken the TW inside and out.....lot's of great info....including a sprocket speed / RPM calculator.
  2. xaman

xaman Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Smoother sailing at high speeds is what I'm hoping for. I feel like I'm wringing it's neck too often by running 60+ (actual) lately.
  3. FootDoc

FootDoc Gas it

Oddometer:
    Ive been running a 42t for the last 5k miles on my '02. I love it but most will say to not go lower than a 45t. The bike has an open filter, jet and an exhaust. I easily cruise 65 even 2 up (Im @225lbs, gf is 130). Im mostly street, so lowering RPM made longer trips a lot more comfortable.

[​IMG]
  4. Mad Mac

Mad Mac Adventurer

Oddometer:
    That is a purposeful looking and neatly turned out unit, FootDoc. The mirrors, handguards, grips, headlamp stoneguard and blackout flyscreen, slim front fender, bash plate, stainless exhaust, seat cover, black luggage rack and the translucent tank... I like it all. Will you give us some details?
  5. assquatch20

assquatch20 Long timer

Oddometer:
    The headlight screen is a TCI product I think? The fender is probably a home job on the stock one or a universal (looks good), the plate looks like a Ricochet/Moose, TTR225 header with a FMF Powercore probably, Stearns/Coleman seat pad from Wal-Mart, rack looks like the Yamaha one or a Manracks rack, and tank is definitely a Clarke, but I don't think the TW200 one? I can't remember what the guys use for 4 gallons as opposed to the Clarke Tdub upgrade to 3. XT350 Clarke tank maybe?
  6. Spud Rider

Spud Rider Long timer

Oddometer:
    I installed a 4.1-gallon, Clarke, XT225 fuel tank on my Zongshen copy of the Yamaha TW200. :deal

[​IMG]

Spud :wave
  7. FootDoc

FootDoc Gas it

Oddometer:
    You guys eyeballed most of it...
    The tank is a clark TW 2.9 gallon, headlight shroud from an '06, Mirrors are some no-names I got off amazon, work great! TCI headlight guard, Acerbis handguards, Pro Taper pillowtop grips (amazing reduction in vibration), Ricochet bash plate, Front fender was imported from Thailand, made of fiberglass, coleman seat pad, stock seat was recovered all black with memory foam, Yamaha rear rack, XT225 Header, FMF PC4 exhaust. LED Front/rear blinkers with a baja designs tailight, D2 Moto pegs, RK O-RIng chain, 42t rear sprocket, K&N Cone filter with a 132.5 jet.

[​IMG]
  8. prsdrat

prsdrat Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hey SpudRider, what tires and wheels are you running? Are they stock
    on the Zongshen or is that bike a clone of the TW with the fat tires? Of
    course the next question would be sprocket sizes. I'm not convinced I
    like these fatties, you really have to push them through the bends.
  9. Spud Rider

Spud Rider Long timer

Oddometer:
    Yes, my bike is a Chinese copy of the Yamaha TW200. However, my Zongshen 200GY-2 came stock with a 15-inch, rear wheel, and an 18-inch, front wheel. The TW200 has a 14-inch, rear wheel.

15-inch, knobby tires are readily available in China, and other parts of the world. However, after I bought the bike, I could no longer obtain 15-inch, knobby tires in the United States. :rolleyes Therefore, I performed an XT225 swingarm conversion, and installed an XT225 rear wheel and shock absorber on my Zong. I later bought a 21-inch, front wheel. I am currently running a Kenda, K760 rear tire in size 110/100-18. My front tire is a Shinko 524 in size 80/100-21.

The bike came stock with a 15T/46T sprocket combination, which was too tall for trail riding. I switched to a 13T/46T sprocket combination with the stock, 15-inch rear wheel. After I converted to an 18-inch rear wheel, I switched to a 15T/58T sprocket combination. Most recently I have geared down even lower to a 14T/58T sprocket combination for riding more technical trails.

The Zongshen 200GY-2 has not been imported into the United States of America for several years, and I'm sure it will never will be imported again. In fact, I believe the Zongshen 200GY-2 is no longer being manufactured by Zongshen International. :deal Zongshen now seems to be concentrating on bikes with 150cc and smaller engines. This information seems to be corroborated by the motorcycles listed on both the Zongshen International website, and the Zongshen PEM website.

http://www.zongsheninternational.com/Product/Default.aspx
    http://www.zongshenpem.com/products/motorcycles.html

Zongshen PEM is also introducing a number of electric scooters, which are not listed on the Zongshen International website.

http://www.zongshenpem.com/products/electric-bikes.html

I'm really happy I purchased my 2006 Zongshen 200GY-2 while it was still available for sale in the United States. :D

[​IMG]

Spud :beer
  10. prsdrat

prsdrat Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thanks Spud, this is all food for thought!

-Parker
  11. Small's

Small's Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    How does that 42 tooth sprocket work out for you? Im thinking about doing a 1500-2000 mile trip in October on mine and was thinking about trying a 45 rear or a 15 on the front since i already have a 47 rear now. It would be all road/gravel riding and im a lightweight "150".
  12. FootDoc

FootDoc Gas it

Oddometer:
    Ive been running the 42t for 4 years, it turns 5th gear into a real "cruising" gear. 60mph is the sweet spot.
    With the 42t on a flat road without a headwind I hold the throttle WFO in 5th which usually tops @75mph indicated, with the motor nowhere near redline. Add in some headwind or a big hill and my speed drops to 68-70. Wide open I'm getting 62mpg and my longest day has been over 300 miles of highway. I thought the 42t would turn it into a dog, but in a drag race its a touch faster than my '03 with stock gearing.
  13. DingDangKid

DingDangKid El Lechero

Oddometer:
    I got my new chain and sprockets in. I will be putting them on tomorrow morning when it's cool out. It's already to hot and humid out to dick around in the garage.

Another question for those who have done LED turn signals. Do I need a new relay? If so, do you have a part number? I'm mounting up some panniers and the stock ones are to long.
  14. Lizrdbrth

Lizrdbrth Wackjob

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]
  15. DingDangKid

DingDangKid El Lechero

Oddometer:
    I haven't ruled that out yet either. I have the LED's left over from replacing the front blinkers on my F650. They are way brighter than stock.
  16. rm_hm

rm_hm Logging Road Cruiser

Oddometer:
    Anyone else getting this error on the main TW site.

"There appears to be an error with the database.
    If you are seeing this page, it means there was a problem communicating with our database. Sometimes this error is temporary and will go away when you refresh the page. Sometimes the error will need to be fixed by an administrator before the site will become accessible again. "

I guess I'll go wander around the backup Hodaka Guy TW200 site.
  17. TheAdmiral

TheAdmiral Long timer

Oddometer:
    I'm getting the same message.
  18. Cat Daddy

Cat Daddy Long timer

Oddometer:
    I'm still plugging away on my restoration. I spent the day on the front brake and fork parts. Lots of work.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  19. Newfie Rider

Newfie Rider Concentrate Samir please! LOL Supporter

Oddometer:

Nice job...I should of done the same instead of black
    [​IMG]
  20. Cat Daddy

Cat Daddy Long timer

Oddometer:
    I kind of got into a rut lately with building bikes with red frames. This color is actually called Hot Orange but it looks red to me. I'm doing everything in this color.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

My wheels are a bit different than you did yours. I am hoping the black rims will make the tires look even fatter.

[​IMG]