I phone 5 mounting options

Discussion in 'Equipment' started by ValpoFz, Dec 27, 2012.

?

Which option should I go with?

1. Option 1

2. Option 2

Multiple votes are allowed.
Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. ValpoFz

ValpoFz Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Sooo after years of fighting the dark side I am upgrading to an IPhone 5, I have been looking at some MC mounting options, I have narrowed it down to 2 options, I think. I wished there was a waterproof powered dock but I haven't found one. Not certain that either option is power-able but I think the life proof can be worked around. If anybody has tried these I would appreciate some input.

Option 1 Ilfeproof case and Ram X mount -
    http://www.rammount.com/CatalogResu...77045072079076045085078055066085/Default.aspx

http://www.lifeproof.com/shop/us_en/iphone-5/iphone-5-case

Option 2 Aquabox rammount -
    http://www.rammount.com/CatalogResu...45049052057090045065081055045050/Default.aspx
  2. kingofZroad

kingofZroad Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Mounted mine last night. Very easy to remove all but the base in just a few seconds, should you choose to...
  3. mpatch

mpatch Long timer

Oddometer:
    if you ride off road I would stay away from the X mount and get the Ram finger mount, once setup it holds the Lifeproof case almost too much.
    With the LifeProof case as long as you keep in oriented vertically you can charge it in the all but the heaviest rain the plug fits pretty tight in the case.
  4. ValpoFz

ValpoFz Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Finger mount? I didn't see that one, I do some offloading so that is definitely a idea?
  5. mpatch

mpatch Long timer

Oddometer:
    Lifeproof actually makes a handlebar mount not sure how well it would work on motorcycle though.
  6. worwig

worwig Long timer

Oddometer:
    iPhone. Duct tape it to the outside of a tire,

:rofl
    Just kidding, I'm an Android fan.

I have a RAM X-Grip mount and a RAM universal finger grip. The X-Grip is handy. But with the medium length fingers, and the bottom stop arm in place, the Finger Grip mount is much more secure IMHO. I now use the X-Grip only in the car.
    I also stuck one of the non-slip mats to the back of the finger grip mount to make it even more secure and to add a bit of cushion. I've actually been using this setup for a number of years. The only issue I've had is rain.

I have an Aquabox for rainy days. The Aquabox sucks. It is very difficult to operate the controls. The extra layer of rubber cover make so much glare that it is hard to see my maps. And if you are charging the device inside the case, in the sunlight, it can over heat. It is basically an oven.
  7. Krazyjohnny

Krazyjohnny Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    I have really enjoyed my Lifeproof case. I have used it in the pool shooting video of my son acting goofy with no issues. The ability to mount it to the bike is awesome. Now you have to get the gloves so that you can use the touch screen on the device.
  8. CPORet

CPORet I Am Kirok! Supporter

Oddometer:
    The Ram Aquabox is nice, but for me I use my phone as a GPS (yes, btw it does suck for that) and that function
    eats the power like nothing else. I would need it powered so it doesn't die on me (it has before). So, I pretty much
    came up with my own powered iPhone box for less than the Ram box:

Pelican iCase

[​IMG]

Drilled a hole, cut off the phone end of a Powerlet charging cable and soldered on
    the smallest charger end I could find.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Mounted a Ram ball mount on the back side, and used Ram hardware for the rest
    of the mount.

[​IMG]

Pros: Keeps phone dry, and protected. Can still see the display.

Cons: Bulky, can't manipulate the display, gets HOT when charging. I've had the
    phone shut down several times this summer due to the heat while the power cord
    was plugged in.

So, I ended up getting a Ram X mount & extra powerlet cable for the hot/dry days.
    I carry this one in my top case for when it rains.
  9. GZPainter

GZPainter A Scouser from Crete

Oddometer:
    Bristol, Crete and wherever the road goes...
    Hey Valpoz.. your thread looks like it comes from my mind...
    I am also planning to pass on the dark side and purchase a iPhone 5...and also I was looking for some MC mountings options. The two that you suggest are on my list...but recently I came across with the Hitcase Pro case..
    it looks good and ticks all my requirements... (waterproof, dustproof, mount and stylish...)
    the only disadvantage is that the haven't announced any release day...

http://www.hitcase.com/iphone5

Of course, I don't have any connection with the company..just I have the same queries like you...subscribed...
  10. Anticyclone

Anticyclone Out

Oddometer:
  11. ValpoFz

ValpoFz Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Done! I ordered the finger mount for the bike and the x mount for the car.
  12. SantaFeTrailer

SantaFeTrailer still social distancing

Oddometer:
    Dang, this should not be so hard. I want a handlebar-mountable, damp-proof case, with charging port, that allows the touch screen to work for iPhone 5. Am I missing something?:ddog:ddog:ear

Edit: I usually go ommando with my phone, so I also need it reasonably easy to open.
  13. oalvarez

oalvarez Resident Raggamuffin Supporter

Oddometer:
    That they don't tend to work after being in the direct sunlight for a while. That's the big negative.
  14. SantaFeTrailer

SantaFeTrailer still social distancing

Oddometer:

Has anyone experimented with a shade?
  15. mattDC5R

mattDC5R Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I have one of these

http://www.ibikeconsole.com/detail.asp?catid=47850&subcatid=0&pdtid=673670&private=

i also had a iPhone4 version before it and found it quite good.
    the 5 version doesnt have any access for charging unfortunately, but works well as far as handlebar mounting etc is concerned.

I didnt end up using it for navigation on a recent trip like I though I would, but used the 4 version a few times with good results, using TomTom, no issues with iPhone overheating, but I have seen it before.

They did mention in a email when i asked about charging that they are working a way to charge, few issues, 1) new connector is longer so made the phone case too big, 2) they looked at having the connector in the part of the case and chaarging through the bracket but there is supply issues getting the connector for such things. So hopefully they will come up with something but in mean time it is a good case.
  16. worwig

worwig Long timer

Oddometer:
    I made a shade for my phone. I was wanting to shade it from sunlight AND provide a little bit of water/dust proofing, while leaving the screen totally exposed to me.
    I used a very thin black plastic and formed an enclosure that went over my RAM finger grip mount. It ended up not really being deep enough to protect or shade the phone, and it was hideously huge. Plus the thin plastic that I used flopped around too much in the wind. Fail....

I haven't totally given up on the idea though.
  17. jprovence

jprovence Adventurer

Oddometer:
    We need a tough IPX7 rated polycarbonate with Gorilla glass overlaying the touchscreen and a wired power and audio ports. A case with a cradle perhaps like the Garmin Montana with the charging pins. I have the Rugged mount and I love how the pins allow easy docking and good weather resistance.

On the heat note, I'd be willing to bet an aluminum case conducts more heat to the phone then a plastic case. The glass needs to be UV resistant as well.
  18. worwig

worwig Long timer

Oddometer:
    I think you will find two issues here.
    One is that the phone itself generates a fair amount of heat, particularly when being charged and the screen turn up to overcome sunlight. So you need to get the heat OUT of the box.
    The other is sun shining into the the box through the opening. Like sunlight into a car window, then being trapped inside. Again you need to get the heat OUT of the box.

I suspect aluminum would conduct the heat out to the cool breeze blowing over it much better then plastic. But then it may also kill the GPS and data radios too. :)
  19. jprovence

jprovence Adventurer

Oddometer:
    The aluminum would have to be in direct contact to serve as a heat sink.
  20. worwig

worwig Long timer

Oddometer:
    No.

Do you have to be touching the aluminum fins on your AC unit to be cooled down? :rofl