wolfman rolie's or Giant loop? I'm torn.

Discussion in 'Equipment' started by The Letter J, Jul 1, 2011.

1. The Letter J

The Letter J Long timer

Oddometer:
    I am currently in the market for soft luggage for my ktm 690 enduro. I have narrowed my choices down to 2:

Wolfman rolie saddle bag mount system: http://www.wolfmanluggage.com/Rolie/set_sm_md_saddle.html

using 2 medium bags (one on each side) and a large bag on top. I have already emailed wolfman and they confirmed that these bags will all fit together albeit tight. This will provide 29.5 liters capacity and the roll top bags are without a doubt waterproof. The saddle bag mount attaches very similarly to a GL bag and so no racks are required and it appears that it should be very stable. I am leaning towards this setup as I like that I would be able to reconfigure the bag setup depending on the ride and it is a bit cheaper than the GL (~$270 retail vs. $329 retail)

Giant Loop Coyote: http://www.giantloopmoto.com/products/coyote-saddlebag

30 liters capacity (very similar to the 3 rolie bags) and waterproof. I have heard a few minor complaints about leaking through the seams and zipper, but that is easily dealt with (seam sealing kit is included.) I like that this is just one piece to strap on compared to the nearly dozen straps of the wolfman bags. Being that it is one large bag compared to 3 smaller ones, I would be able to carry much larger individual items (I'm not sure what I would ever need to carry that would not fit in a rolie bag.) The integral top straps would make it easy to attach my tent or an additional dry bag if needed. The biggest down sides that I can see are that it is a bit more expensive than the rolie's and the bag would more often than not be too big for what I carry for day to day riding and it would be harder to secure just a few small items than the smaller rolie bags.

Does anyone have any experience with the Wolfman Rolie bags? I can't seem to find much info (positive or negative) from actual users. I've read tons about the GL and it is no doubt a quality product and I'm sure that it could work for me, but I'd like to hear input about why it is superior (or not) to the rolie bags :ear
  2. Tail Gunner

Tail Gunner Life is Good !!! Enjoy the Ride

Oddometer:
    I have 2 Giant Loop bags. Mojavi for Day trips. It holds tools and a few other things. For longer trips I have the Coyote which fits everything I need for a longer trip. Beware the bags are NOT waterproof. I misread the website (so I have been told). The material the bag is made of is waterproof but not the assembly of the bag (zippers and seams) I found this out the hard way. I was in pouring rain and everything got wet. I now use dry bags inside to fit that problem. The bag goes on easy and it built well. I have not have any problems with the zippers or stitching. You do find them in the flea market every once in a while and they sell in minutes. I used the bag on my KTM 450exc, BMW 1150GS and BMW HP2
    TeamGS likes this.
  3. The Letter J

The Letter J Long timer

Oddometer:
    Having to purchase multiple setups (more $$$) is what I'm trying to avoid. With the rolie's I can have a large or medium top bag by itself, 2 medium saddle bags, or all 3 depending on the ride. For that matter, I guess I could even purchase a small rolie to add to my options and come out slightly cheaper than the coyote.

The GL not being 100% water proof almost puts the last nail in the coffin for me. To me, waterPROOF means that I can seal it up and submerge it and have the contents stay dry, I've gone swimming on my bikes enough for that to be a valid concern. Your post seems to agree with others' thoughts about the weak points of the GL which got me looking for other options in the first place.

I'd still like to hear other people's perspectives on the rolie bags:ear
  4. tmotten

tmotten Lefthand ride Dutchy

Oddometer:
    The yield in internal space for the same outside size is higher with the GL but is not as flexible if you want to put it on a smaller bike with smaller rolie bags attached. Saying that you can strap the GL down to whatever size so that's a bit of a moo point. I personally wouldn't rely on any waterproofing from a bag exposed to the elements. One slide down the road or slope and no outer material is waterproof any more. So I tend to waterproof the items that need it on the inside with roll closure bags. That way it's easier to pack and organise as well. I'd go the GL.
  5. Gerken

Gerken Fear is to me for people who don't get out much Supporter

Oddometer:
    I have the Wolfman Rollie system. I bought 2 small bags and 1 medium. I really like the system as it allows tremendous flexibility. I have the saddle bag mount and the rear fender mount also. When I need little room I will attach the rear fender mount with a medium bag. Stays put, tough material and 100% waterproof. If I need more space I attach the saddle bag mount with a small on each side and the medium on back. This setup carries enough for a multi day ride as long as I motel it. The beauty of this is it will fit any of my bikes. On the dirt bikes I rarely notice the side bags and the rear bag only when I move waaayy back, very unobtrusive. I can also use the bags by themselves as dry bags inside my Gran Canyon hard bags or strap to the passenger seat. I may invest in a tank mount for the Canyon, more versatility from the same bags. Down sides? It's not as easy as a zipper to access contents and to empty them it's about as easy to remove it completly from the mount. There are a fair amount of straps to deal with which also brings extra length flapping when cinched down. I use a GL Hot Springs heat shield on the silencer and highly recommend it with the saddle bag mount. Like the GL system things cinch down better when the bags are full. If you take items out during the day an empty bag is difficult to keep tight. Eric makes great products and I am very happy with the Rollie bag system.
  6. Callahan

Callahan Long timer

Oddometer:
    I have a range of different Wolfman Motorcycle Luggage bags and have nothing but praise for the way they work and the service from Wolfman. If I was to choose, I think you already know which way I would go.
  7. The Letter J

The Letter J Long timer

Oddometer:
    Do you happen to have any pictures of this on your bike(s) and/or the amount of things you fit in your bags? I'm trying to get a real world idea how much I can stuff into each size bag.
  8. BCJC

BCJC Adventurer

Oddometer:
    bump for an update?
  9. The Letter J

The Letter J Long timer

Oddometer:
    I would have liked to have updated with my decision, but my 690 is STILL collecting dust at the dealership (4 + months now) so I chose not to put anymore money into the bike until it actually runs! FWIW I am definately going with the rolie bags if I ever get my bike back.
  10. BCJC

BCJC Adventurer

Oddometer:
    thanks, i'm in the exact same boat as far as my luggage choices go. leaning very hard toward the rolie, w/ 2 medium and 1 large. the "delux mounting kit" seems like a good idea for 14 bucks.

anyone heard of damage from the pipe w/o a heat shield?

if that giant loop coyote was truly waterproof, i'd own one right now.
  11. Dan Alexander

Dan Alexander still alive and well

Oddometer:
    +1

If GL radio welded their seams like Wolfman does they'd be on my bike too.:deal
  12. RobR

RobR up to no good Super Supporter Supporter

Oddometer:
    +1

you can't go wrong with Wolfman. Great designs, quality workmanship and they stand behind their products.
  13. merickk

merickk Living Folk Tale

Oddometer:
    :ear
  14. Offcamber

Offcamber Long timer

Oddometer:
    I just ordered two large Rolie bags. P lan to strap them to the top of my panniers. Post a pic when I get them.
  15. MotoandCo

MotoandCo Adventurer

Oddometer:
    In the store, I have a set up as demo on a 796 Duc. It works pretty good. On the pic, it is 2 medium Rolies and 1 small. Capacity 21.5 liters. I wouldn't put excessive weight on the side bags, but well strapped it will do the job ( the straps who come with the rolie bags are not on).
    Rolie bag system is a brilliant concept.

Attached Files:

16. BCJC

BCJC Adventurer

Oddometer:
    i got my rolie bags today, first impressions:
    -very good build quality/materials
    -not as big as i had imagined/hoped
    -i have a M/M/L combo, and doubt it would hold as much as the GL
    -bit of a pain to attach/unattach
    -lots of straps to flap in the breeze
    -some straps were too short for my bike, some were too long
    -most importantly for me, they look quite waterproof.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  17. sintax

sintax Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    that bag setup looks way complicated. i think ill stick with my GL
  18. The Letter J

The Letter J Long timer

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the pics BCJC looks good! How secure do the bags feel? Do you think that you could drag/lift your bike by the bags or hammer through the whoops without them bouncing around much? Just to give us an idea, what have you been able to pack in that setup? I just got my bike back (finally!) yesterday, so I hope to be ordering sooner than later.

edit: I just noticed that you went from "considering" to "owning" in 3 days, talk about fast order processing/shipping:deal
  19. BCJC

BCJC Adventurer

Oddometer:
    yeah, hummed and hahed till i said fuck it.

sintax- you are correct sir, and i am a believer in "less is more". however, i live in a rainforest...and having wet gear sucks.

J- no way i would lift my bike with it. it may hold, but i wouldn't bet on it. it seems sturdy enough to withstand getting jarred around. and so far i've only stuffed some clothes in it for a trial setup, i don't usually take 3 cotton hoodies and 2 pairs of jeans camping...
  20. hatchetdan

hatchetdan Don't Look in the Freezer

Oddometer:
    O.M.G.!!! He showed the world his tag number!:eek1