Triumph Tiger 800

Discussion in 'Triumph Tigers' started by ScrambDaddy, Jul 12, 2010.

1. fullmonte

fullmonte Reformed Kneedragger

Oddometer:
    Go spend some time in G-spot or Parallel Universe if you want to see some real grumbling.:deal Another satisfied Tiger owner here with no regrets.
  2. ThomasVolomitz

ThomasVolomitz New Old Stock

Oddometer:
    One issue with the XC, not enough time to ride it.
  3. Mercury264

Mercury264 Once you go Triple...

Oddometer:
    +1

:lol3
  4. lonerockz

lonerockz Permanent n00b Supporter

Oddometer:
    I'm looking at the tiger because I know of one F800GS that has been burned up. 6th gear destroyed because she "rides at high speed for two long...". And on its 2nd engine at 35,000 miles. Of course the bike was in the 2011 IBR, so maybe an extreme use case, but my 650 Versys has more miles and I ride like she does, so you'd think the german engineering would be up to it.
  5. cug

cug Out riding ...

Oddometer:
    Hmmm. If you don't consider a bike because of one specific one of that model that fell apart, you might have an issue getting any new bike ...
  6. HatesSnow

HatesSnow Waiting for Summer

Oddometer:

+1000 :cry
  7. Xcountry-Rider

Xcountry-Rider Banned

Oddometer:
    Pine Valley, California (San Diego County)
    30k on my Tiger800XC no problems. Extremely reliable. Way more reliable than the F800GS.

Sent from my MB860 using Tapatalk 2
  8. ThomasVolomitz

Oddometer:
    Oh boy, hope we dont start the 800gs vs Tiger 800 stuff again. One guy got the banhammer for life out of that one. He was a little over the top.
  9. Xcountry-Rider

Xcountry-Rider Banned

Oddometer:
    Pine Valley, California (San Diego County)
    Lol Yes he was ;)

Sent from my MB860 using Tapatalk 2
  10. cug

cug Out riding ...

Oddometer:
    Hmmm. Don't even recall that - who was that?
  11. invicta1

invicta1 Long timer

Oddometer:
    I've been commuting all fall, temps down as low as 20F, with no heated gear. Doing so with heated grips has made me think how great heated gear would be, so I've just had delivered a heated jacket liner. Permanent mount controller. Looks all very simple to install - except where to mount the controller.

The obvious and easy location would be just below the seat, left side. Easy drill through plastic, can reach when riding. But, right next to the knob is a LED, which would be best placed in one's line of sight. Sure doesn't seem anywhere obvious up at the front of the bike for a mount. Experiences anyone? Otherwise out of sight it goes.
  12. KildareMan

KildareMan Long timer

Oddometer:
    You can use the Triumph aux light bracket, about €10. Even if you already have the aux lights, you can fit another aux light bracket above that one. I have this set up for my computer switch. Would then be a case of attaching the controller to the bracket.

[​IMG]
  13. ThomasVolomitz

Oddometer:

It was X-Country Rider, from San Diego. Actually started the Show Us You Triumph Tiger 800 XC photos thread. Now? Persona no grata.
  14. blacktiger

blacktiger Tigers R great.

Oddometer:
    Another VERY satisfied owner of two Tigers here.
    2002, 955Tiger 67000 miles and no issues at all except for things wearing out naturally.
    2011, 800XC 17600 miles and no problems at all.
    Both just pure reliability.

And the BMW owners.
  15. blacktiger

blacktiger Tigers R great.

Oddometer:
    It's a pity that anyone can get banned. Perhaps he, like me, hates BMW in general when they blame a fault on their bikes on the owners. I got "user error" when drive shafts were wearing out too quickly on R100GSs.:huh It was a known problem amongst owners but BMW wouldn't admit it. Some years later, they changed the material of the UJ grease seals (OE ones broke down in contact with gearbox oil!!) and solved the non existent problem. Bastards.
  16. ThomasVolomitz

Oddometer:
    I think he made unwarranted personal attacks on Beemer owners, questioning their manhood and so forth. It was quite comical but the thread was exploded into oblivion and so was he. He may be here with another handle keeping a slightly lower profile.
  17. ducnut

ducnut Long timer

Oddometer:
    The LED is not crucial. Really, you wouldn't even need to drill the hole to mount it. You'd just have to remember to turn off your gear, when shutting off the bike. I don't really use my LED for anything other than to confirm I've turned on my gear. But, certainly, you'll feel immediate heat when you do turn on the switch.
  18. Yossarian™

Yossarian™ Deputy Cultural Attaché

Oddometer:
    Right on the dash. Use the wireless controller from Warm n Safe. No wires, no fuss.

[​IMG]

The beauty of this is that it moves from bike to bike by using a simple RAM mount.
  19. burgerking

burgerking echt bezopen

Oddometer:
    I think he came back :wink:
    You know him very well I believe :D
  20. cug

cug Out riding ...

Oddometer:
    Me like!

I don't have any heated gear yet, and if we get some, it'll be the heated liner for my wife first before I'm allowed to buy heated gear for me ... :lol3

Was thinking about Warm & Safe, too, as they seem to have a pretty good reputation and seem to be nicely manufactured, while Gerbings has been getting some heat (pun intended) for outsourcing to China and manufacturing them as cheaply as possible, e.g. not having heating elements around the arm, only on top and so on. But I don't want to get this into a heated gear thread, just saying.

I really like the wireless controller, how does this work out for you? I'm thinking of heated glove liners (if it gets extremely cold) and a heated jacket. The Tiger should have enough juice to drive both without an issue I guess. Do you guys also use heated pant liners? For me, freezing always starts around the hands, shoulders, arms, chest area, then feet and way after that I feel the cold in the legs.