moto-mule a cargo trailer to pull behind your dual sport motorcycle

Discussion in 'Vendors' started by MrBracket, Nov 16, 2011.

1. OsoADV

OsoADV Oso

Oddometer:
    Would like to see (and hear) this!
  2. Dan Alexander

Dan Alexander still alive and well

Oddometer:
  3. MrBracket

MrBracket Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I think the best way to hitch to your bike would be to make you some new chain adjuster blocks that have a hole to mount the trailer to. Similar to the setup I have on the KLR650. Do you have access to a pair of calipers to accurately measure your current chain adjuster blocks? It would require you remove the rear wheel and take a few measurements for me. I can email you a drawing with the dimensions I would need if you are interested.
    Mike
  4. MrBracket

Oddometer:
    It's not metric, it is 3/8". However us in the US are the only odd balls that still use the SAE measuring system.... Stubborn SOB's we are!! LOL...
  5. MrBracket

Oddometer:
    What year is your bike? I may be able to find one local I can measure.
  6. Iamdanman

Iamdanman Regular Dude

Oddometer:
    The XRL is a the same from 1993 to 2012. Only changes being graphics and color's. Myabe a bracket to bot onto the swingarm? :ear
  7. MrBracket

Oddometer:
    That is good news! I will find one and make some mounts! Thanks for the info.
  8. weird1

weird1 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I can bring mine by it is a 2002, I want a trailer for it too. I am in Bend. let me know.
  9. MrBracket

Oddometer:
    Almost all moved, but the shop is sure a mess! Hope to be back up and running this weekend!!!! Sorry for the slow replies, thank you for your patience.

Mike
  10. BlueLghtning

BlueLghtning Riding is my passion

Oddometer:
    Peachtree City, GA and Full Time RV Travel
    Looks like I have a 2009 Husky TE-610 coming into my garage. :clap

From pics, it looks like it has a hollow axle, but I won't know for sure till I get it in my hands.

Have you checked out the Husky's yet to see if they should work with the pretty standard setup? I'll get some measurements from my 610 once I get it in my hands and let you know if you haven't checked them out yet.
  11. Manneman

Manneman Polarbear

Oddometer:
    Please do I´ll PM my emailadress.
  12. weird1

weird1 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Looking forward to bringing the xrl over for a fitting.:clap
  13. MrBracket

Oddometer:
    Me too! I got everything moved and almost everything up and running again.... whew! weird1, I will contact you in a couple weeks and set up a date to measure your bike and get you fitted with a trailer!! Just need to get some space cleared up to actually work in...
  14. MrBracket

Oddometer:
    I have not yet measured the Husky's. Please do measure the I.D. of the axle and the overall length for me.
    Thanks,
    Mike
  15. MrBracket

Oddometer:
    Here are some pics of a moto-mule trailer behind the DL1000 V-Strom :freaky Troy is heading off for a trip and will give a report of what he thinks of the trailer real soon!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Troy selected a different Rubbermaid container for his trailer. Curious of what he thinks of this container model, might be better than the one I normally use?? Looks like it might hinge on one side and latch on the other???
  16. OsoADV

OsoADV Oso

Oddometer:
    Looks great! Not going through the axle, it seems? Did you make swingarm blocks like you have for the KLR?

That tub looks pretty tough too! I like it!
  17. MrBracket

Oddometer:
    Here are some pics from CroMoth of his Yamaha WR250R and moto-mule trailer. He set his up to carry his snow skis!!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

He also posted up a video of it in action on you tube.

<IFRAME height=315 src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/kUUs_tYjXeo" frameBorder=0 width=560 allowfullscreen></IFRAME>
  18. MrBracket

Oddometer:
    Indeed it is not going through the axle.... The axle will allow it, but the rear fender is sooooo big, I had to move the trailer further back to clear it. I made new chain adjuster blocks to move the hitch point back further.

Did you sell your DR650? I see V-Strom in your sig line now??? If so, do we need to make blocks to fit the trailer to your new bike?
  19. OsoADV

OsoADV Oso

Oddometer:
    I see. That makes since.

Unfortunately I no longer have the moto-mule. I got a trade offer from a fellow inmate that I couldn't refuse on my DR650 for the Wee, so I went with it. The guy loved the trailer, and it was part of the trade.

I would love to get another one for my Wee in due time, and honestly thought it would be best to get a completely new trailer rather than modifying the one I had. At the time I think I read you were lengthening the trailer to get it to work on a Vstrom and I would need a wider/longer front section.

Anyway, I'm still a huge fan of the product and will definitely be in touch some time about another trailer for this bike!
  20. DaleE

DaleE TransAlp Adv

Oddometer:
    Getting closer, but what I really need a trailer for is to tow my kayak behind my Transalp. I like the attachment of the single wheel, but don't know how it would handle a 7-8 foot kayak. Could probably make a brace off the back and effectively lay the boat over the top of the box and back, but that puts the weight pretty high.

Anyone with this trailer want to try putting ~40 pounds on top of the box and see how it handles? Or has anyone in CO bought one that I can come look at?