British Motorcycle Gear/ Belstaff

Discussion in 'Vendors' started by Dantegod, Apr 18, 2008.

1. Dantegod

Dantegod Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    The Name of the company is British Motorcycle Gear
    We were the USA distributor for Belstaff U.K. and produce our own line of clothing as well as Import Knox Armor, Davida Helmets, and Barbour International jackets from the U.K.

Over the last 17 years of doing all the Cycle World Shows in America and the Daytona 200, Laguna Seca GP, Lake George, BMW Rallies and countless other events, I have had the pleasure of meeting and getting to know quite a few regulars on the ADVider web site. I must say we miss seeing Wayne from MotoPort and his crew on the tour but it is great to see his imput on this site..

I am putting up this post so that anyone with any input or questions about our line can put in their 2 cents and we can respond. We have made changes to some of our products based on Posts about our products placed on ADVrider in the past but would like to do it in a more open forum such as this. looking forward to your input:ear

Paul Brooks
    www.BritishMotorcycleGear.com
  2. Steve G.

Steve G. Long timer

Oddometer:
    I'm one of those silly asses with 7 motorcycle jackets, and 4 pants, 2 of which are Belstaff. I've had my old waxed cotton Trailmaster jacket & pants since the mid seventies, even used them when I went to the IOM in '94. My other Belstaff, 7 yrs old, I think gortex. Unlike the waxed cotton Trailmaster, it's an extremely warm jacket, even with the liner taken out, and cannot use it in the full summer, I get soaked in sweat. Other than that, it's comfortable. The only bad thing I can think of is that I'm not supposed to machine wash it. Not sure if it will just take the waterproof coating out of it, or whether it will fall about. So, it's looking kind of ratty now that I've only been able to use a bar of soap and a garden hose.
    And I've always wanted to say this: Davida Helmets hire the most lovely looking female models available!:evil
    Steve
  3. elchino

elchino Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Paul

I purchased a Challenger jacket while at Bike Week this year. Superb product. I paid 279 for it - which is significantly less than the BMW Santiago I was considering as well as the aerostitch darien.

I have worn it in Miami without the liner into the mid 80s and it has been comfortable. Has loads of pockets and generous armor. It vents very well!

I am looking to get the pioneer pants now. Could you let me know if the pants have some sort of belt/waist adjustment. Is the liner detachable? How do these compare to the Darien pants?
  4. Randy Babcock

Randy Babcock Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I was going to ask whatever happened to my gift for starting a thread...

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=262233&highlight=belstaff

but I see I missed reading my own thread and never got back to you guys! My email must be lost in cyberspace or the bulk mail bin...no worries!

I still like my jacket...I lost weight and dropped from the XXXL to an XL but manage to adjust the jacket so it still works for me. The pants are another matter! I need belt loops...then I could cinch 'em up with a rope or something...LOL!

I used to be a vintage bike type guy and always admired the waxed cotton, but then I gave up on all the fun of owning Nortons, Triumphs, BSA's and Enfields got the turn key comfort of just riding BMW's without wondering where along the road I left the bits and pieces! The vintage look still rocks!:clap
  5. Dantegod

Oddometer:
    Hi Randy,

Just PM me your address and I will get you that bike cover.. If the pants are still in new condition just send them back for an exchange. We don't use RA number and we answer our phones ourselves ..so just put them in a box and put a note in that you want a XL and we will get them right back to you.. "Adventure Riding is good for the waist line"... Another line to use on the wife.. when I want to go to South East Asia..:wink:

Paul
    www.BritishMotorycleGear.com
  6. Dantegod

Oddometer:
    Good Morning ELCHINO,

The Pioneer pants have a zip out liner and zip right into your jacket. On the outside they have reflective materials on the side and up the leg as well as Nomex panels on the inside of the legs to displace heat and protect the pants from hot bike parts.. I will let someone else compare and contrast since I am a bit bias.. I will say that our products have Knox Armour in the Hips and Knees a well known leader in the protection business and are 100% waterproof. I will stop there..

Paul
  7. Dantegod

Oddometer:
    Hi Steve,

I wish I could get one of the Davida girls to come over and help you hand wash your jacket... If you check on our web site it has complete washing instructions for all the garments www.BritishMotorcycleGear.com bottom of home page.. quite a few of Belstaff's products were made for winter commuting.. If you only have a bike to get you to work in the UK or Germany your jacket better be as warm as possible hence the Discovery jacket and the Merlin and Trekker Jackets before it... The more recent models like the Challenger ( full write up in Rider April Issue cover of Rider March Issue) have a lot more venting for riders that are looking for a wider temperture range not the warmest jacket possible... We also have some great jackets for the heat.. Zodiac and Adventurer both of which will keep you warm if you have a nice heated vest under them but are great and hot humid climates.. Hold on to the old waxed cotton they are going for big money these days. I just sold a 1968 version I had for $1200. I have seen old Langlitz jackets go for big money as well.

Paul
  8. Dantegod

Oddometer:
    I love the pictures on the ADVrider site... If anyone has any pictures they want to submit, wearing our gear we would love to put them up on our site... In fact I think I will do a best picture contest every 6 months.. Send me you pictures and we will figure out a way to do an on-line vote for best pictue.. Free pants and jacket to the winner.. Be creative has to be G rated to post but we will have a look at anything you guys and ladies come up with.:eek1

Paul
  9. mrmaico

mrmaico Long timer

Oddometer:
    Just recently bought a used (like new) Mercury on the Flea Market here, great jacket, very comfortable. Only have one picture of it so far though, taken at about 75 mph, feel free to use it if you want.

Here's the full size shot:
    https://mrmaico.smugmug.com/gallery/1474425_JfxiA#279888611_EHhCV-O-LB

Barry

[​IMG]
  10. jamesbrown

jamesbrown Lefty tighty.

Oddometer:
    Your Montana jacket is awesome. I also have the Pioneer pants, but they're pretty hot in the summer. Do you have any pants for summer riding (75 deg F and over) ? Thanks.
  11. Dantegod

Oddometer:
    Thanks Barry... I will get my Web master to set up a picture section and you will be the first one...

Paul
  12. Dantegod

Oddometer:
    Hi JamesBrown...

The Pioneer are great but a bit heavy when it gets real hot... We do a light pair of overpants the Ezeon that are about 1/3 of the weight. They are also waterproof with pockets for Knox Hip an Knee Armour.. I am working on doing something in between these two at the moment.. We have been looking at some vented designs that are lighter than the Pioneer but more protective than overpants, the big thing is making sure they are waterproof as well.. Any suggestions are more than welcome..:ear

Paul
    Paul
  13. birdie_xx

birdie_xx Long timer

Oddometer:
    I really like your ( I mean MINE !) Adventure jacket ! :D

Both gloves - summer Rapido and cold weather Thermosport work well too.

The shopping experience was 1st rate as well. Thanks Paul.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Cheers,

P.S. Pants suggestions ? :evil

I have some.....

-
  14. munchmeister

munchmeister Grow'd Up Mini Trail

Oddometer:
    Love my Belstaff Discovery Jacket. I've worn it in every kind of weather from 95 degrees to 30 degrees. Best value for the buck, IMHO.

Riding my recently purchased R1150GS back, on Raton Pass, Colorado:

[​IMG]

--Doug
  15. Dantegod

Oddometer:
    Thanks Peter, Doug and Barry for the pictures.. My web Master is designing the page as we speak.. We will transfer the pictures there after it is complete and let the voting begin..

Thanks for helping to get this going...

PM me your addresses and I will get you all out free bike covers although it does not look like most of the guys on this site spend much time with their bikes under cover or in a trailer..

Paul
  16. Steve G.

Steve G. Long timer

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the info Paul.
    Geez, 1200$ for an old waxed cotton. Mine's in really good shape too.
    Cheers, Steve
  17. michelf

michelf motorcyclist

Oddometer:
    I can vouch for that. After so many years of not being able to afford decent grear and riding all year round in BC and freezing half to death I got the jacket and pants for me and my wife. Loved the thing. With the liners in there and the supper cool neck thing nothing got in. WHen traveling light the kit is very versatile. You can use the liner as a jacket or if it's hot you can use the back as a fanny pack to carry stuff on a day trip once you arrived for example.

Only down side is in this thing is bulky. If you are wearing it fine, but if you want to bring the pants and liners in case for 2 people, its very bulky. not a fault of the kit, just the way it is. I wore the jacket in 100 plus with some weating down, but the pants I cant do it when it's hot like that. But on normal temps it's great. I also wore it on a few hard trails (differnt bike) and it was good. The jacket as loads of pockets and and i carry everything in there very handy.
  18. Dantegod

Oddometer:
    Thanks Michelf,

You have some of the best scenery in the world around BC.. Any pictures you would like to submit for our picture contest?

Thanks for the input...

Paul
  19. Dantegod

Oddometer:
    Hi Steve,

The Italians love them for fashion wear... It seams the older the better they like them beat up and "real looking"... We had a load of them at our booth for the Daytona 200 bidding on customers coats that were just hanging out with us wearing their waxed coats having a beer or two :freaky .. We hung a nice one up for a mate of ours who lives in Florida.. He was offered $2000 but when it came to handing it over could not bear to part with his memories... So he took it home. That's what we like to see...

A few years ago we had someone go by our booth at Daytona wearing a first year production jacket and we offered him a free trip to the UK and a new coat in exchange for the jacket ( we wanted it for a historic display). He said it was willed to him by his best mate who was Scottish Motorcycle Police and that he was given it at the funeral by his mates wife. The jacket had now outlived both his wives as well and he would be buried in it... No giving it up.. Our kind of customer..:D

If anyone cares Will Smith was wearing one in The Legend Movie..
    Malcomb Smith still wears his much more important..:clap

Did you see what Steve McQueens went for, then again what was it $7000 for his Visa card.. Still the king of COOL..:evil

Paul
  20. Olscool

Olscool Knuckahaid

Oddometer:
    Ditto to all of the above on Belstaff's Trekker (below waist) and its shorter cousin, Spitfire (waist) jackets; they are superior quality made jackets with great detailing and features...