Trans-Florida GS Rally March 9 -10, 2013

Discussion in 'The Sandbox - AKA Flatistan' started by kaosrider, Feb 7, 2013.

1. kaosrider

kaosrider Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    This Event is the first weekend of Bike Week March 9th and 10th from the Ocean to the Gulf AND back.

[​IMG]

This Rally is an overland challenge in which you will have to follow a route sheet (route holders are highly recommended).

The Trans- Florida GS Rally -Route Starts in the Flager/Ormond Beach Area of A1A on the Atlantic Ocean and travels to Cedar Key, on the Gulf of Mexico on Saturday March 9th. There will be a Party and Dinner in Cedar Key Saturday evening at Seabreeze Restaurant. Everyone will need to make arrangements to stay in the Camp Ground in Cedar Key or one of the local motels. There are many motels for under $90 a night if camping is not your thing. Split a room with a buddy and this will be a great time. There are also 2 RV parks should you have a ground crew for your Rally Team.

The meeting place for the start is at the 7-11 on the corner of Roscommon Dr and Old S Dixie Hwy (which is right off of I-95 eastside) Meet up and sign in begins at 8:00am, riders meeting at 8:30.

March 10th, Sunday will be the return trip, a different route and new objectives. Sunday morning we meet up at Annie's Cafe on Cedar Key for breakfast. Sunday evening will be the closing party/ceremony at Joseph's Bistro Flagler Beach across the street from the Pier. Finish will be between 6-7:00pm. 7:00pm is the latest to be counted.

The route will be traveling over paved and unpaved roads. This intended to be big bike friendly, (however, not for those who have never been offroad). This is NOT a beginners ride.

The Route Sheet will include objectives that must be met each day. These objectives will be simply to locate the road side feature and take a picture. Or get a receipt when filling up with fuel at one of the gas stops. It may also be a receipt for ice cream in a certain small town. The instructions will be provided in the route sheets. The days are long 200+ miles, however they will wind through old historic areas of Florida, seldom seen by tourists. Gators, bears and such are a possible feature.

If your Rally Team has logistical (wife/husband) members who prefer a more laid back day, they can enjoy the town of Cedar Key while awaiting your arrival, with your hot tub and sleeping quarters :lol3.

Door Prize sponsors- Jax BMW, Cycle Gear, Daytona Fun Machines, Cycle Goodies Daytona

This Event is a Rally Type Event in the Following

Bike Size Catagories

Class A 800+

Class B 550-750

Class C 250-549

Class D Classic (Older than 1995)

The Rally Riders Check-In and Route sheet pick up 8:00am - 8:30am
    The Rally Riders Meeting will be at 8:30am

Rally Fees - There is no fee. You will however need to make your own camping/motel arrangements. There is only one camp ground in Cedar Key so most will likely be there. You will also be responsible for your own meals. We will be making party arrangements at a restaurant at both ends. How and where you want to eat is up to you. This is intended to be a low cost way to enjoy Florida and Bike week while visiting our State.

This Rally is put on by a very small group of ADV volunteers in North Florida loosely referred to as CADS. We have a thread in the Sandbox for some background on us. This event is intended simply for the enjoyment of old and new friends with motorcycle interests.

In the weeks leading up to the Rally we will be posting up more details.

Places to stay in Cedar Key

A nice RV park with tent space is Rainbow Country RV park

Motels suggested were Park Place, about $90., Nature's Landing, about $115., the Beach Front, newly owned and totally renovated, Faraway Inn, and Island Place (next to Gulf View).

Daytona Side

Anyone that wants to camp near Flagler Beach or Ormond Bch. there's Tomoka State Park, Holiday RV and campground at I-95 and Old Dixie Hwy, and Gamble Rogers State Park on the ocean just north of Highbridge Rd. and A1A. Also Beverly Beach C.G. is north of Flagler Bch on A1A .

Currently targeted starting area is Highbridge Rd and A1A, which is the beach (nothing else). Targeted finish area is the Flagler Pier.

If you plan on joining the fun please post up that you are IN, so we can make enough route sheets and give establishments some heads up in the objectives areas :evil.

So get ready to start your engines......

IN List

Newcastleadam
    dirtybikeFrank + 4
    Kyle B
    Mr Guns
    Kaosrider +5
    Dr. Z + 1
    Day 13
    Kurtzinpa
    Playinatwork
    Sammyb
    Waybill
    R11stew
    Bobby Ginger
    Zane Neher
    Johnny Africa
    Roadking99
    Wolfgang55
    Slimy
    PMB +1
    Milkyway
    bigjohn66+1
    lilrascal55
    africa twin
    reedo 12
  2. newcastleadam

newcastleadam Artful Tagger

Oddometer:
    in
  3. Mugwest

Mugwest "You mean this is the REAL world!?"

Oddometer:
    Damn, fellas-- this sounds killer. Always wanted to do an Atlantic-to-Gulf ride in 50/50 mode.

I approve of the Fee Schedule as well :thumb
  4. dirtybikefrank

dirtybikefrank Beast wrestler

Oddometer:
    Thinking about making the trip down. What's the percentage of offroad/onroad? Just trying to see if we should ride big bikes or small bikes.

Cheers
  5. dirtybikefrank

Oddometer:
    Just reread the og post. Big girls rule. See ya there.
  6. dirtybikefrank

Oddometer:
    Looks like me +4
  7. Zane Neher

Zane Neher Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    What will make this a no beginner ride? Im an experienced noob.
    Outside of street bikes, Im stuck with a Dr250, so this may not be a ride for me?
  8. Kyle B

Kyle B "Dirty Jobs"

Oddometer:
    Lost in the hills of SW VA/ Winter in SW Florida
  9. mr_guns

mr_guns Look Mom no hands!

Oddometer:
    I hate you Rich! I was going to go to the tree farm camp n ride.:cry
    After todays ride I have to say...

IN
  10. kaosrider

Oddometer:
    There are those that can travel the world on a Vespa, so if you are up for it we won't stop you. These are going to be 2 long days. 200+ something miles Saturday and a little more on Sunday (typical dual sport event ride is around 130 miles). The routes are intended to have as much "offroad" as possible, but there is a fair amount of unavoidable pavement. Since this is Florida there is a high probability of some 4 letter words, like (sand) :lol3, which tend to bring out the other 4 letter words....

This will not be fun for someone who has never experienced Florida Sand. It does not mean this will be a "very" difficult ride, with lots of sand. It means just that for those beginners with regard to riding in sand or have never ridden in sand, it likely be too much of a ride. All this said, if I was new, I would rather attempt it with a 250 than a 1200. The challenge on the 250 will be the long miles with a lot less comfort than a 1200.

Good Luck :thumb
  11. kaosrider

Oddometer:
  12. Kyle B

Kyle B "Dirty Jobs"

Oddometer:
    Lost in the hills of SW VA/ Winter in SW Florida
    I've got good practice grounds less than 15 miles from my winter home. I do try to avoid the deep sand. Most of the trails are through trees, so speed is not the best option.
  13. Chicken Helmet

Chicken Helmet I'm A Stumperâ„¢

Oddometer:
    I agree. This is tempting.
  14. Dr.Z

Dr.Z 6Sigma Knuckle Shflr

Oddometer:
    Sounds like a good ride.

IN! :ricky
  15. Day13

Day13 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    So you're saying the possibility exists that there may be, "Some sand!" :wink:
  16. kaosrider

Oddometer:

Well, it is just what I heard about Florida. I have never really seen any myself :D
  17. jaydee1445

jaydee1445 Footpeg Crash Tester

Oddometer:
    Damn Already made plans with the wife for the Scrub.:cry
    Really have no points left to bail on her agian.
  18. Jack Daniel

Jack Daniel See Ya At The Swamp Supporter

Oddometer:
    Scrub should be a checkpoint :freaky

I'll lay odds they all ride within walking distance of it

It's a fair bet that they'll be crossing the ferry at some time :1drink

Campout should have been at The Swamp too :lol3

The ranger at Shell Mound campground in Cedar Key watches my bike while I go stay on my friend George's island
  19. kurtzinpa

kurtzinpa KurtzInPA

Oddometer:
    Now in Carterville, IL for long haul... or snow.
    Looks like a great ride... Am planning to attend on BMW G650GS Sertao.

The Dixie Dual Sport group is doing similar ride the following weekend.

Will plan to stay at KOA Friday night and Cedar camping Saturday.

Where will the Sunday ride finish?

I'm based in Oxford, just west of The Villages.

Jeff

Eric from Camp Blanding and Rony have mentioned your group.
  20. kurtzinpa

kurtzinpa KurtzInPA

Oddometer:
    Now in Carterville, IL for long haul... or snow.
    Looks like I'm doing two similar rides... any idea how they may compare? DixieDualSport is using similar destinations the following weekend.

Jeff