Hawai'i

Discussion in 'Regional Forums' started by Dirty Barber, Oct 18, 2008.

1. Southest US Thumper

Southest US Thumper Extreme n00b

Oddometer:
    You can store it at my place, just read this first before you decide Bike Hunt . Mauna Kea (another ADVrider) keeps his XR650R here, I'm about six miles from the airport.

Well if you're gonna be homeless Hawaii has about the best climate for that sort of activity plus you can use the zodiac to fish for sustainment! :rofl
  2. Idahosam

Idahosam Set Adrift

Oddometer:
    Thumper Man
  3. Southest US Thumper

Oddometer:
    Yeah, quality bikes with a plate are a bit rare over here, saw a pretty good deal on CL for a XR650L over on Oahu tonight, not a great choice for single track though. PM me your e-mail, I can link you up with George who's Plated XR650R is sitting at my house and needs some exercise, not much fun in single track but a worthy Big Isle Steed.

Great guy! He's over there with you on Oahu and lives in Mililani, ride with him, chat him up, and I bet he'll say you can ride it when your're in this neck of the rain forest.

Or not...
  4. Southest US Thumper

Oddometer:
    Started a thread in Racing on the forest section of the Mauna Kea 200, link is here LINK .

95 or so folks signed up, the heat and humidity were a factor!!!

Tomorrow is Mauna Kea, top guys will be back in under 2 hours, if you live on this rock be at Mauna Kea State Park by 0730!!!!!!.
  5. dirtypumpkin

dirtypumpkin "Monster Truck Bike"

Oddometer:
    Thanks for sharing the pics, got more or a online gallery?:freaky
  6. Southest US Thumper

Oddometer:
    they dumped em all on www.MK200.com quite a load....
  7. dirtypumpkin

dirtypumpkin "Monster Truck Bike"

Oddometer:
    Thanks.:thumb
  8. mojozlizard

mojozlizard n00basaurus

Oddometer:
    Hey guys im just wondering where some real easy and basic Dirt riding can be found on oahu? Im getting my scrambler inspected on monday so I can get it registered and want to get a little dirty at some point... I have noo dirt riding experience except for jumping a curb into my neighbors lawn on my old sport bike because some J/A cager decided i no longer needed to be on the road... I havent ridden in almost a year now because of work and moving but im real eager to get back on and do some riding.
  9. Southest US Thumper

Oddometer:
    There's tons of dirt roads in the Wahiawa, Haleiwa, Waialua area that were former sugarcane and pineapple fields, most are locked these days but you can usually squeeze through (just try to look like a farmer!):rofl . There are some ADVriders over there and most are always ready for an excuse to ride, they ought to be able to show you around.
  10. SugarDust

SugarDust Kulia i ka nu'u

Oddometer:
    That's were I learned to ride back in the day on an old (new back then) XR75 :D
  11. mojozlizard

mojozlizard n00basaurus

Oddometer:
    Well... being a 6 foot tall bone white red head.. I dont exactly blend in with the locals however being a good ole country boy i suppose i can pass off for a dirt farmer :D ill have to go looking for these roads though, I have seen a few driving about and wondered about them. now if i can get this damned inspection sticker ill be in business :freaky
  12. Southest US Thumper

Oddometer:
    Ho! Sweethart, no shame!!! I wen learn same plase on won Steen!!!!

Ware U wuz for da 200? Had some wahine wen entah, neva make da foress but did gud on da mounten!!!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  13. Southest US Thumper

Oddometer:
    Hey! The same folks that bust trail, time, set up Gas Checks, and drink beer in support of the Mauna Kea 200 are putting together a Dual Sport Ride on 26 July. :clap

The route will be through Puna District and very mellow compared to the 200.

200 Route:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Versus.....
  14. Southest US Thumper

Oddometer:
    I'm not the route master but knowing Puna I''m betting you'll see places like:

Kaloli Point.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Kalapana:

[​IMG]

Pahoa:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And everthing in between:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Reality Check: It'll be a mellow ride, about 120 miles total and nothing challenging, gravel roads, great views, probably 50% pavement.

If interested show up at 9:30 A.M. at Big Island Power Sports, 447 Kalanianaole St. in Hilo (Across from Harper's Truck Rentals) figure five hours of Riding!

All the Big Island ADVriders need to show up or Shut-Up! I know who you are so Cowboy Up!
  15. Southest US Thumper

Oddometer:
    Here are a couple of the posters for the 26 July DS Ride done by Gasser:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Not to Dime anybody out but has anyone heard from Prf. Caos, AndyinHilo, or Great Sadhu?????
  16. Andyinhilo

Andyinhilo Long timer

Oddometer:
    Thumper,
    Unfortunately, I did not know about this till today, and spent the 26th driving the family about Kona. Call me next time, K? You wen go o' wat?

Andy
  17. Bulldogs2k

Bulldogs2k Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Nice, its about time there's a HI thread. I'm in Va Beach for now but plan to move to HI....I co-own a gym in Chesapeake but would like to start a nice 24 hr studio/gym on any island. Whats the chances of that working out?
    A :freaky :freaky
  18. Southest US Thumper

Oddometer:
    Sorry 'bout that Andy, it was my first ride since that dreadful day in January.
    Semi-Report:
    15 riders showed up at Big Island Power Sports for the 9:30 a.m. kick-off that came precisely at about 10:15, hey this is Hilo, people wanted to get a good feel if it was going to rain or not.... I had the WR set up with the motard wheels and could only ride till noonish. Mixed bag of bikes and riders, two plated WR's, three plated CRF450X's, one plated YZ450F, two or three KLRs, a big street bike with a guy I didn't know rode, Husky 450, DRZ400, DR650, 250 Yamaha Enduro, and an airhead BMW.

[​IMG]

The route was all over Puna District, Fern Acres, Hawaiian Beaches, Kapoho, Pahoa, Kalapana, upper Waiakea, and all points in between, nothing challenging cuz it was a first and they wanted to check out abilities.

[​IMG]

I had a blast on the motard! Only regret was having to leave early, they didn't finish until about 5:30 pm.

This coming Sunday there's a East Meets West Ride, the Hilo and Kona guys are supposed to link up at Puu Huluhulu then ride up to the NOAA Observatory on Mauna Loa eat lunch and then ride up to the summit of Mauna Kea. I'll get the specifics and PM you. Robert
  19. Southest US Thumper

Oddometer:
    Hmmmmmm, here in Hilo we have a couple of gyms already and of late BJ Penn's is pretty popular, not sure of what's going on over in Kona, but none that I know of are 24 hrs (in Hilo we roll the sidewalks up at about 8:00 pm...... on a Friday night).

What about going into diversified agriculture? Just don't let Andy find any of your crop on State Lands. :rofl :rofl
  20. Southest US Thumper

Oddometer:
    Here's what Gasser E-mailed me:

[​IMG]

Note the correction in the Link Up Point, Mauna Kea State Park at 0930 not Puu Huluhulu.