small computer for Mapsource/basecamp

Discussion in 'Mapping & Navigation' started by team ftb, Mar 30, 2013.

1. Albie

Albie Kool Aid poisoner

Oddometer:
    There's a hack for 8 that gives you the START icon, just google it.
  2. jonz

jonz Miles are my mantra Supporter

Oddometer:
    CA dez (it's a dry heat)/West Yellowstone,MT
    From Costco.com:

http://www.costco.com/Dell-Venue-8-...dows-8.1-|-Office-2013.product.100082672.html

$279

They had a special a couple weeks ago for costco members that was cheaper and I ordered one but my wife paid for it as my Xmas present. It got here but now she won't let me play with it until xmas :cry I've been looking at the Pelican case for tablets and will probably get one for this tablet and then that will be my traveling setup.

My recent trip to Mexico made me wish I had something along to do routing. Between my riding partner and I, we had 3 gps's which agreed on our location in the Sierra Madre mountains but each one showed a different route choice at one point. We both wished for a computer to do route planning and uploading. I'm hoping this tablet will fill that role.
  3. 250senuf

250senuf Long timer

Oddometer:
    Patience grasshopper :D Good score. It'll run Basecamp just fine.

Good tip. Found some freeware, Classic Shell, that did the trick. Thanks for the nudge.
  4. Sleddog

Sleddog Ridin, again:)

Oddometer:
    Well, Christmas Is over...have you had a chance to check it out? I'm assuming if it will run Basecamp it'll also run Mapsource? What about creating & loading track / routes into the GPS?

Sleddog
  5. Skizzo

Skizzo Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I've bought some days ago this little object.. and i love it! :)
    http://us.acer.com/ac/en/US/content/model/NT.L1JAA.002

Windows 8 is perfect for use in tablet mode, and when you need to use mapsource/basecamp you can switch in desktop mode with a finger :)
    Decent battery life (8hr), affordable price (i paid 249eur for the 32Gb model).. perfect companion for my trips!
  6. worwig

worwig Long timer

Oddometer:

Does Mapsource work with Win 8? Basecamp does of course.
    That Dell is only 32GB. You need to figure in an additional memory card to the price.
    Online reviews weren't disappointed with it.
  7. 250senuf

250senuf Long timer

Oddometer:
    Yes, Mapsource works with Win 8. I have the same tablet as Skizzo. Basecamp works better than Mapsource in the "touch" environment. Some things in Mapsource don't seem to work as they do on the desktop. I have a Bluetooth mouse arriving which will make it easier to use. I am totally new to touch interface.
  8. Sleddog

Sleddog Ridin, again:)

Oddometer:
    What do you mean "some things in Mapsource don't seem to work as they do on the desktop"? Is it because of not using the mouse?
  9. 250senuf

250senuf Long timer

Oddometer:
    Probably mostly me not being used to a touch interface, partially MapSource being pre-touch and partially the 8" screen and trying to get the right touch on the right spot. Once I get the mouse I'll know if part of it is Mapsource/Win8 not playing nice.
    Edit: I've stayed with Mapsource 6.13.7 . The newest version might behave differently.
  10. jonz

Oddometer:
    I'm still trying to get comfortable with Windows 8.1 using a touchscreen. Today, I was looking around for a micro to mini cable and neither Radio Shack or Best Buy had such a cable. I did find a 4" long one amidst my stuff so I can use that for the time being. I'm going to contact both Garmin and Bicimapas tomorrow (Monday) and see if I can get my maps (City Navigator 2010 and 2013 Bicimapas maps) loaded onto the tablet. Then I'll try to load routes/tracks from the tablet to the Garmin 478. I should have more to report in a couple days.
  11. worwig

worwig Long timer

Oddometer:

I had some trouble getting it up on my tablet, so I just loaded Basecamp. Time for me to learn it anyway.

PS: On the mouse. I just got a Logitech T630 Bluetooth mouse. Very nice and very compact for small Win 8 devices. A little too small for full time work thought.
  12. MJS

MJS Long timer

Oddometer:
    You can install the maps onto as many computers as you want. They are locked to your gps not the pc.
  13. MAXVERT

MAXVERT O.G. on da O.C.

Oddometer:
    I'm getting a Asus T100. 64gb ss
    Full Windows 8.1 O.S.
    10" screen plus detachable key board.
    Half the size and weight of the laptop I've hauled around on my rides.

Should be able to Blue tooth to my Montana 600 and camera.
    Leave the key board at home when I need to pack super light
    to keep up with Jonz in Mexico. :D

Max
  14. jonz

Oddometer:
    I understand that is how it is supposed to work but I looked around and on the Garmin webpage in my account, I seem to be missing a button to allow the download. The 25 character key is displayed, just not what to do with it. My son is visiting and he leaves tomorrow so I'll invest more time in it then.
  15. jonz

Oddometer:
    Since my tablet is smaller and lighter, maybe that will make up enough of the difference between your 690 and my 950.

:huh Or not. :D
  16. Wansfel

Wansfel I'm not lost! The world is just a bit misplaced.

Oddometer:
    Been using an Asus tablet with Windows full 8.2 with Basecamp. Much easier to use with a Bluetooth mouse rather than a fat finger on the touch screen. Have a micro to USB adapter to allow connecting a USB regular cable (to USB mini or micro) to connect to the GPS. No problems thus far. Left Mapsource in the dust long ago after getting comfortable with BC.
  17. bighopper

bighopper Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Montana has Bluetooth, I think not.
    You will need to hook via USB.
  18. poppawheelie

poppawheelie Long timer

Oddometer:
    This question is not GPS related, so if there's a better thread for my question please point me to it. I didn't find it.
    What tablet would be able to take a 16GB micro SD card from my video cam and transfer it to YouTube, for purposes of embedding video on ADVrider? I assume if it could do that it could also post still picture to Photo Bucket, do Email and cruise the web. This is of course for use on ADV riding.
  19. 250senuf

250senuf Long timer

Oddometer:
    The Acer Iconia W3-810 has the microSD slot (32gb max), wireless and bluetooth. I'd guess that as long you're at a wifi hotspot you could upload to YouTube.
    IIRC: most of the tablets out now have the microSD slot.
  20. poppawheelie

poppawheelie Long timer

Oddometer:
    Yeah, I know they have the micro SD slot, but can they handle transferring up to 16 GB to YouTube? Not store 16GB, but upload it to YouTube.
    I got an Electrical Engrg degree in the 60's, but HA! :rofl It was so different then. I used to work on Main Frames and haven't kept up at all, changed career entirely. Love the computer but know little about it.