HPN style cartridge inserts for the R100GS

Discussion in 'Airheads' started by Kokopelli, Nov 24, 2011.

?

Would you consider participating in a group buy?

1. Yes, if the price is right.

2. No, these cartridges are way to expensive.

3. No, USD forks will work so much better

Multiple votes are allowed.
Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. Kokopelli

Kokopelli Yeah, right!

Oddometer:
    *Closed*

I am trying to find out if it's worth investigating a group-buy for the Race tech fork inserts.
    [​IMG]

link

Here is the list of people who are in, send me a pm if you want to join. I need to know by the end of Friday. If we don't have ten, I can't guarantee the 10% discount.

1 Stagehand
    2 One Less Harely
    3 Kokopelli
    4 mbogage
    5 Renner
    6 Erland
    7 MoMan
    8 Infracaninophile
    9 Hoss18
    10 tiefflieger
    11 fk4015
    12 Chadleys1
    13 advNZer?
    14 Velocipede
    15 OZbeemer
    16 BMWayne
    17 advNZer?

Maybe:
    igormortis
    nowhereman
    Fudmucker
    BruceS
    espressodrinker
  2. Voltaire

Voltaire Triumphant.

Oddometer:
    I just bought a set of springs and emulators for an R90, was about $400.00 NZ all up to my door. Mr customs was not involved.
    I does not look like a lot of work to modify the internals.
  3. Kokopelli

Kokopelli Yeah, right!

Oddometer:
    From Race Tech?
  4. Padmei

Padmei enamoured

Oddometer:
    You haven't put in the price bro...
    or maybe I can't see it:ear

I'm sticking with sloppy stock then maybe nutsos conversion if I can be arsed.
    Hey Nutso can you stick another pic of your bike up? I've forgotten what it looks like:D
  5. Box'a'bits

Box'a'bits In need of repair Supporter

Oddometer:
    Hard earned lesson which you are just begining to realise Grasshopper. Buy cheap, spend large, ride little. :wink: Or was that the other way? Some combination of those anyway...:D

Big kisses xxxx Padmei. There's some links for you in my signature
  6. Voltaire

Voltaire Triumphant.

Oddometer:
    yes Race Tech direct. I rebuilt the forks with later Brembo internals and progressive springs...but now going to go all modern...well as modern as you can with spindly 35mm forks....not sure about the rear yet...I have a set of Ikons set up for a Commando...they might do.
  7. Kokopelli

Kokopelli Yeah, right!

Oddometer:
    It's the old chicken and egg thing. I'll find out how many eggs we'll need, before I'll bother the chicken.
  8. Steve in NZ

Steve in NZ scared/cheap

Oddometer:
    Buy 10 get 1 free :rofl
  9. Box'a'bits

Box'a'bits In need of repair Supporter

Oddometer:
    Voltaire, what you appear to be discussing is Racetech emulators & new springs, using the later generation BMW airhead fork internals. That ground that has been travelled before. While worthwhile for 70's bikes, that isn't waht is being mooted for the later GSs.

What Koko is investigating is several steps up from that, ie replacement internals - a true cartridge fork with externally adjustable preload, rebound, & compression damping. If these do as stated, then EUR 700 probably isn't too expensive cfw new forks. However compared to purchasing & modifying second hand forks that can do the same thing???? That really is the discussion point.
  10. Voltaire

Voltaire Triumphant.

Oddometer:
    opps.... I'll go back to my mancave where its always the 50's 60's and 70's...:eek1 apart from a Triumph Thruxton.....and a bucket racer.....:evil
  11. One Less Harley

One Less Harley OH.THAT'S GONNA HURT

Oddometer:

I've got dibs on the free one!!!
  12. Kokopelli

Kokopelli Yeah, right!

Oddometer:
    bump , we need to get this done, before the NZ dollar is worthless :lol3
  13. Kokopelli

Kokopelli Yeah, right!

Oddometer:
    FYI I've sent them an email to find out if they are willing to give us a group buy discount. So far we have 9 people who are at least somewhat interested. I am pretty keen myself, but only if they show some flexibility with their pricing.
  14. Fudmucker

Fudmucker ex-lurker

Oddometer:
    I'm keen - depending on price.
    Earning ZA Rand and paying in Euros is twelve times as expensive.
    But if it will help to bring unit price down, let's at least try.
  15. One Less Harley

One Less Harley OH.THAT'S GONNA HURT

Oddometer:
    I case you couldn't tell I'm interested.
  16. Kokopelli

Kokopelli Yeah, right!

Oddometer:
    It's an open poll, you can see who has voted for what. Haven't had a response yet. I might have to ring them up and speak to them in their native tongue.
  17. MoMan

MoMan PigPen

Oddometer:
    I already have RaceTech cartridge emulators matched with Wilbers Progressive Fork Springs and they do a REALLY good job, but there is ALWAYS room for improvement :wink:
  18. Kokopelli

Kokopelli Yeah, right!

Oddometer:
    This is a German company. [​IMG]

I don't think they are affiliated with the other Race Tech.
  19. Kokopelli

Kokopelli Yeah, right!

Oddometer:
    I had no reply from my email to HH Race Tech, so I rang up a few minutes ago and managed to get hold of the owner. We had an interesting discussion, which would have been even more interesting to someone who actually knows the technical side of suspensions.

He told me that HPN is now buying the cartridge inserts from him, as they are better than what they had before. However, HPN wants them set up for 10weight oil instead of 5, as apparently it's easier to get the 10.

The cartridges can be adjusted for pre-load, compression and rebound.

Now the bad news. The maximum discount he will give us is 10%. If we get around ten people to buy them. He also needs to sort out whether he can deduct the German sales tax from the 700 Euro for shipments overseas.

I have decided to buy them if I can get them without the sales tax, even if the group buy won't go ahead. The 10% would be the icing on the cake and probably cover the freight to NZ.

A decent rear shock costs about this much and by using the cartridges I can keep the stock look. I don't really want to mess with that too much, as the R80GS Basic is a little bit special.

So, the next step would be firm expressions of interest with the condition that we don't have to pay the German tax and do get the 10% discount.

Let me know if your are interested. You can post it here or pm me, best to do both. He wants to investigate the tax issue and needs to know which countries he is going to ship to.

For those of you who also ride an F800GS, he makes inserts for those as well and they are supposed to work extremely well.

I hope that covers it.
  20. Erland

Erland Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hello all,
    I'd like to be in on this. And if HPN is buying these things, they must be fairly good, right?
    Nonetheless I like this solution over all the extra work to install a USD fork....
    From what I recall in the past, German business do not collect VAT on sales to overseas-so that shouldn't be an issue for him. That takes care of 19%, then another 10%- not bad, but shipping is going to cost a fair amount I'm sure.
    How would a group purchase work? Do we call him up individually and place an order, stating that we are from ADVrider...?
    Regards,
    Erland