Drz250 Thread

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by tdrrally, Jul 24, 2008.

1. rivercreep

rivercreep Banned

Oddometer:
    I.M.H.O. They really need to bring this back out as an "S" model to compete with the other 3 that have a 250 D.S. class.:ear
  2. quick1911

quick1911 n00b

Oddometer:
    A little north of Charlottesville near U.S. 33

That would be cool. I really hope to plate this bike.
  3. privateer2010

privateer2010 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Quick1911 not sure if you have heard about it but Oct 5th weekend there is a dual sport ride not to far from you. It is the shanandoah 500, two days of riding through the mount Solon area. Lots of great riding, bike has to be plated because it does cover some roads. Great little ride though, I'm taking the 250 for the first time this year, you should check into it.
  4. bobfab

bobfab Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    does anyone have a moose skidplate on their DRZ250? I am curious what kind of coverage it yields. Any photos?
  5. tdrrally

tdrrally Long timer

Oddometer:
  6. mendydrz

mendydrz Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Will a Drz 400 rear shock fit a 250 somehow? I know the 250 shock has the remote reservoir but I can get a 400 shock for free.

What could people foresee as being the major drama?
  7. tdrrally

tdrrally Long timer

Oddometer:
    for free give it a try

i'm not sure if there is clearance for the reservoir
  8. mendydrz

mendydrz Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    That was my initial thought, but as its free I best give it a good home any way.
  9. tdrrally

tdrrally Long timer

Oddometer:
    let us know how it goes!

if it doesn't work i have a good home for a drz400 shock
  10. BruceC

BruceC Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    ... and ended up doing just on 10,000km. Went from Sydney to Cape York (northern most part of Australia) to attend a rally, then criss-crossed western Queensland on the way home. Most of the ride was on bitumen or what passes for bitumen in Queensland. A lot of this is only one car wide which makes it interesting when a road train comes the other way. For those not in the know, a road train is a truck with 3 trailers and is over 50m long and when on a narrow road they appear to be 50m wide. In any event, they don't give way to anything smaller than themselves which means that on the 250 it was a case of get off the road. A long way off! If you catch up to one on a dirt road its time to stop and make a cup of tea. Trying to overtake a road train on a dirt road is suicidal. You can't see a bloody thing within 500m of the truck.

The little DRZ now has 52,000km on it with no engine work so far. But, unfortunately it did give me a bit of grief on this trip. It now sports a new set of spokes in the rear wheel as well as new wheel bearings. The stator in the alternator was also changed during the trip. The former issues I put down to general wear and tear (the bike has been grossly overloaded all its life as I use it for adventure touring), whilst the stator is a weak part of many bikes of this type, so I guess I can't complain. About 2,000km of the ride was dirt with some of this being very badly corrugated. I guess that didn't help either the spokes or the wheel bearings. These are the only failures I've ever had on the bike. At least it did not leave me stranded out in the bush. The wheel bearings collapsed very conveniently near a tourist resort so I had accommodation whilst waiting for spares. A string of fortuitous events meant I arrived at the resort at lunch time and had the new bearings that evening. Not bad considering I was over 50km from the nearest village.

Unlike many of the people who attended the rally (the Off Centre Rally, or OCR - there are probably trip reports posted in ADV somewhere) I didn't throw it into the bushes. I put this down to the light weight which makes the bike so easy to ride. Plus, at my age I have decided that falling off is no longer an option. It bloody hurts!

I'm now wondering how long the bike will last before I have to do any engine work. I suspect I will get 60,000 or 70,000km before I have to touch it.

BruceC
    ozzyal likes this.
  11. twinrider

twinrider Pass the catnip

Oddometer:
    That's a mega ride alright, well done.
  12. tdrrally

tdrrally Long timer

Oddometer:
    what seat do you have on that bike?
  13. twinrider

twinrider Pass the catnip

Oddometer:

Lol, that's what I was wondering. :lol3
  14. BruceC

BruceC Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I suffer from duck's disease, so seat is cut down by about 20mm (1 inch). This immediately makes it wider. Then I fitted an airhawk cushion. It's now bearable. It would be better if I could lower the footpegs so I'm not sitting on the point of my bum.

Listening to podcasts also helps - takes my mind off my arse :D.

BruceC
    ozzyal likes this.
  15. tdrrally

tdrrally Long timer

Oddometer:
    i thinking seat concepts dr350 seat
  16. tdrrally

tdrrally Long timer

Oddometer:
    i found this write up today and thought i would share

Bush bash Sunday, ride to work Monday - Suzuki's DR-Z250 is a jack-of-all-trades, and a bit of a surprise in the bush, too
    A fun bike is a fun bike. It doesn't have to come in a big, flashy, expensive package, just as long as the ingredients for fun are there - in a road/trail motorcycle's case, a predictable chassis and usable engine mean the rider can get right on top of the bike's performance, and feel like a bit of a Daryl Hurley while they're at it.

In the $7990 Suzuki DR-Z250's case, it is a fun bike par excellence, with the improvements wrought over the out-going DR250 making the package even more practical, as well as better performed.

The original DR250 proved a reliable, if unspectacular, road/trail machine which did its intended job of being a dirt-capable commuter very well, even competing successfully in the Australian Safari in modified form, winning its class on occasion! A true all-rounder.

A TO Z
    For 2001, the DR became the DR-Z, and with the new name came a number of updates - including new suspension - which I was keen to sample in the bush, in order to see how well the all-rounder DR-Z could cope in dirt mode.

As such, the bike was in dirt-riding trim (see separate panel) when I picked it up from Suzuki Australia's HQ.

The conventional front forks and rear monoshock have been completely over-hauled, with rebound damping adjusters to go with the compression adjustment, giving the rider more scope to set up the bike to suit his/her needs. It is still on the 'compliant' side though - I had the damping on the slowest settings five minutes into the ride in the bush.

So while the spring and damping rates are underdone compared to an out-and-out enduro weapon, the DR-Z's suspension is totally predictable. This means a rider can adapt a riding style to suit - not charging over big logs or whoops for instance, but finding a way around is a more appealing option.

Ground clearance is good, though steer clear of the deeper ruts. It took me a few minutes of pushing and pulling to retrieve the 115kg (claimed, dry) bike from the depths of one such obstacle...

At a more sedate pace, the suspension is plush and forgiving, meaning a rider out for a leisurely trail ride won't be punished, and these are the riders the DR-Z is aimed at.

BASTARD ACT
    The DR-Z250 also scores a kick-starter to back-up the electric leg, a practical addition, and one which also points to Suzuki taking a more serious tilt at the 'trail' component of the road/trail all-rounder.

The kick-starter works well, though not as well as the magic button, which got the 249cc DOHC four-stroke single purring every time without fuss.

Being the sneaky bugger that I am, I didn't tell a ride companion what the little yellow button did, though he worked it out pretty quickly.

"That explains the mischievous look of mirth on your face every time I kicked it over," he laughed.

The ride position is comfortable, and I could still get well forward whilst seated without being too compromised for room. For those riders that like to stand, a change of bars may be required, as at 178cm I was forced to stoop a little when on the pegs.

When standing, the DR-Z is easy to grip with the knees despite the bike being quite slim, the extra 20mm of seat foam helping here, whilst raising the seat height by the same amount to 920mm.

The new 10.5lt plastic fuel tank (instead of metal) also assists in this department, the excellent seat/tank junction meaning my knees had plenty to grip, though lots of use and/or kneebraces will mean the tank stickers will suffer.

The plastic tank also means a low-speed oopsie won't necessarily mean forking out big bucks for tank repairs - a feature I certainly appreciated when a flat front tyre caught me by surprise, and saw me lying under the bike with my knee in between the ground and tank.

FLAT AT THE BOTTOM
    Speaking of flat tyres, the DR-Z250 doesn't come equipped with rim locks (which keep the tyre locked to the rim), so the front tube was destroyed as the tyre turned on the wheel.
    There are holes for rimlocks pre-drilled in both rims, however, and I would definitely fit a set before taking to the dirt if it were mine.

The tyres themselves were Dunlop's excellent 756 soft-terrain knobbies, fitted especially for the dirt by Suzuki Oz. They suited the wet, muddy conditions perfectly, and meant the conservative power output could be overcome by just keeping the throttle open, and maximising corner speed instead.

The engine itself was still in fully restricted form, as per ADR requirements. Removing the large rubber flap in the inlet manifold would certainly unleash more power (for closed circuit use only of course!).

Power from a fully restricted 250cc four-stroke is never going to be startling, and the ADR-complying DR-Z certainly feels short of breath up the top end, though it meant I could just hold the throttle open and ride it. When combined with a little imagination, this can make the pilot feel like a bit of an enduro legend. The feeling wasn't lost on me...

While imitating people who have more talent than myself, I like to have a good set of brakes on my side. The DR-Z250 has just that, with more than enough power available at the front lever, and a well-modulated rear brake set-up.

They combine to haul up the DR-Z easily, although I found the rear brake pedal itself too small, meaning I missed it a couple of times.

TIGHT GOING
    The DR-Z really shone in the tight stuff, the low centre of gravity, good brakes and easy to use power making it quite nifty through the trees, enough to keep more narrow-focused bikes honest.

Once things opened out a little, the Suzuki's restricted power output capped its abilities substantially - de-restricting the engine would certainly mean the bike could hold its head higher in this type of going.

Even so, I had to keep reminding myself that this bike is designed for road use as well, such was its competence in the bush.

SEALED FATE
    Being a road/trail bike, once I had finished covering the DR-Z in mud, I returned the 250 to road-spec for a week of commuting and freeway riding.
    Still in restricted form (of course), the bike none-the-less performed well enough to keep me out of harm's way, and cruising at 110kmh was quite manageable. I reckon around 130kmh would be about top speed, which is plenty for this type of bike.

Saying that, at 100kmh I was doing a great impression of a wind-sock, and the wind clutching at my shoulders introduced a gentle weave at times - pretty standard for a light, wide-barred dirtbike on the road.

The brakes are still effective on the bitumen, with the Dunlop Enduro D903 F front tyre chirping a protest before the brakes have reached their full potential.

The tyres do a good job of compromising mild dirt abilities with road duties - just don't go trying to get the knee down with them. You'll probably succeed, it's just that after you got the knee to earth, it will most likely be followed by your butt, back, elbow etc.

ON A DIME
    Fuel economy is good in city usage, making for a reasonable fuel range from the 10.5lt tank. The well-padded seat grows teeth after half an hour or so due to being so narrow, so only the iron-cheeked will be able to make use of this range for long periods.

In traffic is where the DR-Z excels. The seat height and upright riding position allow excellent vision all round (the mirrors are also very good), and the manoeuvrability makes traffic snarls a doddle.

If all else fails, you can always take to the median strip and roost off into the horizon.

The LED dash display is worthy of a mention, with an accurate speedo, stopwatch, two trip meters and the ability to adjust the trip meters, in case you take a wrong turn in the bush and need to reset to follow a map.

All the switchgear works well and, once adjusted correctly, the headlight does a commendable job.

Don't expect to carry a pillion passenger though - there are no pegs or grabstrap on the DR-Z.

BUDGET ALL-ROUNDER
    All-in-all, the DR-Z250 does what it's designed to do very well. For somebody looking for an economical, value-for-money commuter which is equally at home on the dirt after a few mods, the DR-Z is worth a close look indeed.

Those who want a trailbike which will get them almost anywhere, in more comfort than a hard-edged enduro bike, may find the DR-Z250 is right where they want it. Useful items such as the plastic handguards and easily accessible air filter add to the value.

http://www.redbook.com.au/bike-reviews/2001/enduro/suzuki/dr-z250/suzuki-dr-z250-13993
    ozzyal likes this.
  17. K44rll

K44rll Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Not the best picture, the black bracket at the front is a modification to mount it on a Djebel, DRZ has a captured bolt in the frame...

[​IMG]

Karl
  18. tdrrally

tdrrally Long timer

Oddometer:
    at long last a drz250k2 with a 4+ gallon fuel tank:clap
    [​IMG]

it's a clark 4.? gallon tank from a friends xr650l:D
  19. psu75

psu75 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hey guys,

Real quick can someone give me some directions on where to find some easy to install turn signals for a DRZ 250? Some stick on ones would be nice, nothing that would take too long to mount. I'm not real electrical-saavy, so if you could point me in the direction of the wiring harness I would need also, that would be super-great as well! :evil
  20. psu75

psu75 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Where did you find your blinkers? I'm diggin 'em! (Ermmm...not the ones you melted...)