ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Layin' down tracks > GPS 101 - Which GPS For Me
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 19 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 06-18-2014, 07:07 PM   #691
supernewf71
Adventurer

Oddometer: 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emmbeedee View Post
That's all you see with the basemap.

The only surprise there is that you're surprised.

And to answer your question: yes, you're missing a map or two.

Here's some free ones: http://osmmaps.com

Sent using strings and tin cans and Tapatalk.
I was expecting turn it on and at least see some major road in the area .
Looking at more maps now for it.
supernewf71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2014, 03:33 AM   #692
Emmbeedee OP
Procrastinators

Oddometer: 8,792
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthernTraveler View Post
I've used Mapsource quite successfully with my 78.

The trick is build a map set with one map product - say Topo 2008 - and save the mapset on an SD card.

Rename the completed map set something more meaningful - from gmapsupp.ing to say Topo2008.img.
That's how we used to get multiple mapsets on the Oregons before Garmin released MapInstall. It works well as long as you remember to rename the files as they get uploaded.
Emmbeedee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2014, 09:38 PM   #693
cwenger
Adventurer

Oddometer: 13
I am going to buy the city navigator maps and download it onto a sd card in the unit, my question is do you load one card with all the maps and just keep the one card in your unit or do you buy a smaller sd and put different maps on each. the card I have is a 32 gig which should fit alot
cwenger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2014, 04:00 AM   #694
Emmbeedee OP
Procrastinators

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwenger View Post
I am going to buy the city navigator maps and download it onto a sd card in the unit, my question is do you load one card with all the maps and just keep the one card in your unit or do you buy a smaller sd and put different maps on each. the card I have is a 32 gig which should fit alot
I have 8Gb cards which are more than adequate to hold all the maps at the same time. Don't forget the segment maximum, for all maps. There's no point in having 28 Gb free and wasted if you've hit your maximum in 4 Gb of maps.

Not sure a 32 Gb card will even work in that device but let us know if it does.
Old 06-20-2014, 10:19 AM   #695
cwenger
Adventurer

Oddometer: 13
thanks thats what I was wondering
cwenger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2014, 05:57 AM   #696
RidingDonkeys
Purveyor of Awesome

Oddometer: 7,406
GPS n00b here, so please pardon the stupid questions. I've used a Zumo 220 for years, but just picked up a 78s last night for trail duty and for use as a backup on road trips.

I'm planning on doing some sections of the OAT next week. I got the Basecamp map for it here:
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=836706

Now, when I opened Basecamp last night, I could hardly get any detail. So I suppose I need to download a map to Basecamp. I'm downloading the free one suggested a few posts up right now.

Do I then upload that map to my GPS, or does it already have a detailed road map?

Will the 78s keep me on the OAT once I upload the maps? How well does it navigate on roads to get me to the starting points?

Finally, it seems I'm going to have to make a metric shit-ton of setting changes in the unit itself. Anybody got a basic rundown of what settings to change to make it motorcycle friendly?
Old 07-04-2014, 12:30 PM   #697
Countdown
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,958
Quote:
Originally Posted by RidingDonkeys View Post

1) Do I then upload that map to my GPS, or does it already have a detailed road map?

2) Will the 78s keep me on the OAT once I upload the maps?

3) How well does it navigate on roads to get me to the starting points?

4) Anybody got a basic rundown of what settings to change to make it motorcycle friendly?
1) No, the 78 only comes with a crude Base Map. Just spend another $90 and get Garmin City Nav.

2) What do you have for the "OAT"? Routes or Tracks or just some map so you will have to create your own Route or Track? Yes you just follow Tracks, Yes if you download Routes and have a Routeable map installed like City Nav.

3) If you have way point for Start and City Nav installed, just hit find and go to it.

4) There may be some tip files on Adv but I have complete setup tips for off highway use on http://www.dualsportwest.com/Gps/GpsOverview
Old 07-04-2014, 05:25 PM   #698
RidingDonkeys
Purveyor of Awesome

Oddometer: 7,406
Quote:
Originally Posted by Countdown View Post
1) No, the 78 only comes with a crude Base Map. Just spend another $90 and get Garmin City Nav.

2) What do you have for the "OAT"? Routes or Tracks or just some map so you will have to create your own Route or Track? Yes you just follow Tracks, Yes if you download Routes and have a Routeable map installed like City Nav.

3) If you have way point for Start and City Nav installed, just hit find and go to it.

4) There may be some tip files on Adv but I have complete setup tips for off highway use on http://www.dualsportwest.com/Gps/GpsOverview

You rock. I'll be running tracks for OAT, and I have them downloaded from on ADV. Unfortunately, I'm probably not going to have time for a good GPS shakedown before I hit Oklahoma. Hence the stupid questions.
Old 07-04-2014, 09:46 PM   #699
Countdown
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,958
Quote:
Originally Posted by RidingDonkeys View Post
You rock. I'll be running tracks for OAT, and I have them downloaded from on ADV. Unfortunately, I'm probably not going to have time for a good GPS shakedown before I hit Oklahoma. Hence the stupid questions.
Tracks are great, you can use them without routable maps, just follow the tracks.

Put all the tracks into one .gpx file, then use Explore to copy that file from your PC to the "gpx" folder in the "Garmin" folder in your 62. You must then go to the "Track Manager" and open each Track and click on "Show on Map" so it then says "Hide on Map", then quit and go to next track. You may also have to set the color of each track to what works best for you. I like Dark Green.
Old 07-21-2014, 07:21 PM   #700
Emmbeedee OP
Procrastinators

New Firmware out for the 62/78 Series:

Changes from version 5.40 to version 5.60:

Fixed issue with barometer when auto calibration is turned off (62s, 62st, 78s, 78sc models).
Fixed issue with power off pressure trending (62s, 62st, 78s, 78sc models).
Fixed missing ascent, descent, and elevation statistics when reviewing certain tracks.
Fixed possible shutdown when displaying the option menu in Czech.

Use Garmin WebUpdater to get it.

Make sure you have fresh batteries before you update. Last thing you want is for the device to delete its existing firmware, then die before installing the new version.