the DR650 thread

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by sleepywombat, May 1, 2006.

1. Grizz Adams

Grizz Adams When in Doubt Throttle Out!!

Oddometer:
    Superbrightleds.com has a flasher kit. You can replace the flasher module under the seat. Then either pull the dash bulb or install the kit Dennis Kirk sells to make the dash light work. Good luck. There is an abundance of info on this topic in this thread. You just have to search for it.

Sent from my SCH-I500 using Tapatalk
  2. SprintST

SprintST Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I'm currently in Des Moines Iowa, a thousand miles from home in Ontario Canada on my way to Tierre Del Feugo wondering how much I'll use the camping gear I'm hauling along. I enjoy camping but the stuff takes up awful lot of room, not to mention the weight. One of the reasons I changed to a DR from a KLR is the lighter weight. Now I find myself loading up on the poundage again.

Accommodation costs in the U.S. are manageable in the short term (kinda) but how much would I really be camping once outside of the States? Safety is a concern since I'm traveling alone. I'm hoping to do some couchsurfing along the way and stay in motels and hostels in the cheaper areas.

For those of you who have already done Central or South America and taken camping gear along would you do it again or forego the camping altogether?

So, do I leave the camp gear at a friends and just enjoy the ride a lot more or what? HELP? Would love to hear other peoples take on my dilemma.
  3. NordieBoy

NordieBoy Armature speller

Oddometer:
    That doesn't sound right. Even 2010 bikes have had philips head screws.
  4. B1

B1 Carbon-based bipedal

Oddometer:
    nup. checked my 2010 DR a few weeks back and it had allens... they were nice and tight (as was scottl's 2003 DR we did at the same time, it had the usual phillips heads) but we did the usual slightly longer bolts, loctite, drilled and wired.
  5. TRAVELGUY

TRAVELGUY Old Traveler

Oddometer:
    Having done that trip as far as the Panama border and now livng in Costa Rica I would leave the camping gear up north.

TravelGuy

6. PHILinFRANCE

PHILinFRANCE Long timer

Oddometer:
    Cheers Rusty, the simple things ehhh !!!!!!!!!!!!!! i'd never have sorted it.
    Phil
  7. goodcat8

goodcat8 Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
  8. NordieBoy

NordieBoy Armature speller

Oddometer:
    The one I checked had 2 loose philips screws...
  9. CHRIS_D

CHRIS_D Long timer

Oddometer:
    Is the NSU the Neutral Sensor Unit? :ear I think I'm getting the fact that the screws (allen or phillips) loosen up and this sensor falls off causing a nightmare. Does it just need some blue loctite and a good tightening or does it need its bolts changed also?

Next week I'm picking up a 2006, so I'm currently in the planning stages of getting it dirt worthy and reliable. Any other advice in this regard is highly appreciated.:deal

And to think I use to think the KTM 690 thread was long!!:lol3 So with that said, I'm sorry in advance for asking all these newbie DR questions .........
  10. nzrian

nzrian Ugly as sin

Oddometer:
    i am 100% positive no on else has been into that clutch, still had all the blue paint on the bolts.
    my bolts were nice and snug but loctited them anyway.
    this is an aussie bike, i am second owner, the first owner used it to learn on, when he got his full license he "upgraded" to a cb 1300 or something like that.
    His loss my gain.
    Absolutely lovin the dr, what a weapon, the farkeling has begun!
  11. newone

newone n00b

Oddometer:
    Hi guys! I want to put 18 inch wheels on the back for winter driving, we have a large selection of tires of this diameter. Unfortunately we have hard to find a wheel assembly at a low price. Suitability for the DR wheels from other bikes?
  12. plugeye

plugeye MC rescue

Oddometer:
  13. ADV8

ADV8 Long timer

Oddometer:
    If you remove the stock screws,use contact cleaner to make sure there is no oil residue on the screw threads and those in the engine case they go in to blue loctite will be fine.

[​IMG]
  14. ADV8

ADV8 Long timer

Oddometer:
    The basic problem with the GPS body is it has no steel inner sleeves the thickness of the wings the screws go through.
    Sleeves would stop any compression of the plastic stopping the problem.
    Locking agent would guarantee it.
  15. The Rizz

The Rizz Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I posted this as a WTB in flea market, but this is a better audience. I'm looking to buy a set of Intiminators, new or used. Thanks!
  16. Grizz Adams

Grizz Adams When in Doubt Throttle Out!!

Oddometer:
    Find a used DR350 rear wheel. All you will need is a DR650 brake rotor. That is what I use for my dirt set up. I paid $400 for a rear 18" with a new D606, and a 21" front with a new D606. Good luck.
  17. Rusty Rocket

Rusty Rocket Life behind "Bars"

Oddometer:
    Are the DR350/250 front wheels the same as a 650 wheel also?
  18. vintagespeed

vintagespeed fNg

Oddometer:
    he'll need a sumo'd DR to make a proper comparison. :evil

[​IMG]

mine is not for sale however....
  19. procycle

procycle ~Retired~

Oddometer:
    Nope. Nothing else shares the DR650 front hub.
  20. acesandeights

acesandeights Noob

Oddometer:
    Mr Procycle:<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" /><o:p></o:p>
    <o:p> </o:p>
    Is the DR400 rear license plate bracket and turn signals a fit for the DR650? Looks like the DR400 kit includes smaller turn signals than factory?<o:p></o:p>