Garmin Montana 650t Aussie Users

Discussion in 'Mapping & Navigation' started by icebergstu, Sep 2, 2012.

1. sierra_victor

sierra_victor Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    This will work..

Salty.

[​IMG]
  2. icebergstu

icebergstu ADV Ninja

Oddometer:
    :rofl

Thanks for the photo.

Has anyone used the AA batteries to power the unit yet? What was the battery life like?

Stu
  3. El Ponkin

El Ponkin Bloodrunner

Oddometer:
    Got City Navigator mapping so now I have set it up the way I wanted so it is really two machines in one replacing my old Aldi road GPS and Garmin 60 CSX.
    I have set up two profiles:

The bike one opens up Oz Topo mapping and the menu has shortcuts to tracks, track manager, compass, tripmeter (with big symbols) and Profile change.
    The car one opens up City Navigator mapping in the Nuvi display mode with Menu shortcuts to Where to, mark waypoint, trip meter (standard) and Profile change.

Allows me to navigate on tarmac to the start of a ride in Car profile and then select profile change to Bike profile, select a track file and hit the dirt.

This thing rocks.
    Andy
  4. icebergstu

icebergstu ADV Ninja

Oddometer:
    Yeah this is what I have done too.

I have been using a Nuvi for the last few years for the car so know the things back the front. Great to just switch over to (ADV) as I call it and start layin down tracks.

The profliles are excellent!!!

Stu
  5. El Ponkin

El Ponkin Bloodrunner

Oddometer:
    All fitted now and hard wired to a switched supply, its great just having it fire up with the bike and shutdown when you turn off the bike, First test ride today.

[​IMG]

Andy
  6. Emmbeedee

Emmbeedee Procrastinators

Oddometer:
    Don't forget to create shortcuts to those profiles then you can just hit the shortcut, and voila, it's a whole different gps! I have multiple shortcuts to a profile for each mapset, making it easy to switch from a Nuvi like automotive setup to a Topo map with datafields, to an OSM profile, to a Geocaching profile. It's a great gps!
  7. El Ponkin

El Ponkin Bloodrunner

Oddometer:
    Already set up the profile change shortcuts and yes it is superb changing everything on the fly, mapset and display frikken awesome. Went bush riding today and it didn't miss a beat,
    Andy
  8. boneman660

boneman660 Try Hard

Oddometer:
    Went for a ride to Noosa North Shore on the weekend. Thanks Andy for the gpx files.

Was using the replacement 650t on it's first proper trip. Ended up having to use the tape & earplug trick on the way up to stop it switching off. As we were camping I was unable to recharge it, so switched to AAs on the way home. That's the first time I've had to do that. BUT, it still switched itself off at seemingly random times on the AAs.

Do I have another faulty unit? Do I need to use padding (earplugs) for the AAs as well?

Does hardwiring it in solve the switching off problems?

I really want to like the Montana, when it's working it's great but when it switches itself off in the bush it's a pain in the arse.

Appreciate your help.

Boneman :freaky
  9. stevepsd

stevepsd Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Yep you need the earplug trick for either battery......even when using it hardwired.
  10. boneman660

boneman660 Try Hard

Oddometer:
    Thanks Steve,

So even when I get the unit hardwired in, it will still need the earplugs in the battery compartment?

If that will stop the switching off, that's cool!

There is no chance of the water tightness of the unit being compromised? Affecting Garmin warranty?
  11. JoaoPCF

JoaoPCF Adventurer

Oddometer:
    i've tried my new montana 650t for the first time last week, coming from brisbane to sydney, and even if i'm still getting the hang of it there was one thing that annoyed me during most of the trip, the screen keeps rotating even when i'm riding asphalt. has enyone had the same problem? i wanted to know your opinion before i go back to the guys at ryda to ask for a replacement.
  12. Emoto

Emoto Sure, why not?

Oddometer:
    You can lock it in one orientation:

[​IMG]
    ^ Setup > Display > Orientation Lock
  13. Mudcat

Mudcat Unregistered

Oddometer:
    You can lock into Track Up I assume?
  14. DRTBYK

DRTBYK All Things GPS

Oddometer:
    Of course but that is not what is happening to JoaoPCF. Even if the Map Orientation is set to Track Up, the DISPLAY can rotate between Landscape and Portrait mode. So, doing as Emoto suggested will "lock" the DISPLAY from rotating when the built-in accelerometer thinks the unit is rotating (which can happen on any surface if there is enough vibration).

Cheers,
  15. Mudcat

Mudcat Unregistered

Oddometer:
    Thanks. I am trying to learn a little about the <?xml:namespace prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:smarttags" /><st1:State><st1:place>Montana</st1:place></st1:State>, I am probably going to end up with one. An awful lot of what is posted I do not understand.:eek1
  16. JoaoPCF

JoaoPCF Adventurer

Oddometer:
    yep, that's pretty much what happened. thanks for your help. i'll try it tomorrow