VStrom Owners Thread

Discussion in 'Japanese polycylindered adventure bikes' started by Queen, Jan 16, 2006.

1. camodog

camodog Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    You were right. I should have called in. I dont think I will be able to sleep tonight. Like a kid on xmas eve.
  2. Dubl-A

Dubl-A SuckerDucker

Oddometer:
    Man, that bike is sweet! I love the factory panniers. It's a true homerun :thumbup
  3. Two Wheeled 'Tard

Two Wheeled 'Tard Banned

Oddometer:
    Weeeee! Welcome to the club :)
  4. squish

squish Waiting to see

Oddometer:
    I just picked up my second dl650 today. This one is a 12 orange. My other one is an 04 blue.

I've got an 88 mile a day commute and wanted something with abs that was a low hassle bike. I was looking seriously at r1200gs from about 08 and left over super teneres but then I found this bike.

Pretty happy. No real plans other then heated grips, a better horn, conspicuity lighting, knuckle guards, gps with traffic and an on board camera.
  5. jazzer

jazzer Lost again... Yeah!

Oddometer:
    Hi All,

My wife and I just got back from our first trip on our new to us DL1000. My wife says it's more comfortable than our Honda ST1100 was. I like the handling and ergonomics better. It was way better in the dirt (gravel roads two up) than I expected:clap.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I don't think the PO did any mods and I have a few complaints...... Can anyone direct me to a list of the "required" mods. It has a terrible vibrations when passing from about 2.8K to 3K, and anything under 4K is almost worthless. It seemed to run better on premium. Is that expected?

The PO lowered it and I want to bring it back up. The plastic skid plate did what is shouldn't be capable of doing:huh.

Thanks for any advice!

Ken
  6. Craneguy

Craneguy British Hooligan

Oddometer:
    Www.stromtrooper.com for any and all information.

The low end fuelling is notoriously lean. There are several fixes including the Power Commander. $300 and ten minutes and you'll have a new bike.

Vibration can be caused by crash bars if you have them. Make sure the torque is correct.

My Vee was lowered when I got it (just the forks thank goodness) I returned it to stock and I think the low speed handling is greatly improved. Others prefer it lowered for sharper handling... I found it downright unstable.

The other farkle most agree on is a fork brace. You can get one for around $80 from www.adventuretech.com along with a few other useful bolt-ons.

Head on over to Stromtroopers. The options are limited only by the thickness of your wallet!
  7. Mulewright

Mulewright Old Fart/Journeyman

Oddometer:
    Ken... wander on over to Holeshot Performance & mebe call Dale Walker up.
    He owned one & did a lot of dyno work to sort stuff out. Many options available from them.
    I have been Quite pleased with their products and especialy the customer service I have recieved. :D

Ken;
    p.m. me & I can point out the "Magic Fixes" for you that worked for me..... some are a mater of personal taste..... Some necessary to make the bike "Livable" in day in/day out use, like the Dobeck Electronic Jet Box (Holeshot).
    I went up 3 teeth on the back when replacing the sprockets & chain and also did the 530 chain upgrade at the same time & really like it.
    Also the speedo healer, and a Leo Vince slip on upgrade.(from RevZilla for $425 shipped) I will be doing a "Clutch Basket (from Real Shelby on the VSRI SITE) at the next oil change. Terry is a real stand up guy to deal with & a bud has done it and the result is a completely different bike. You can run it under load sub 2k rpm & it Works!
  8. whipit1k

whipit1k Long timer

Oddometer:
    I would make sure the bike is not still running its stock gearing. two teeth on the rear sprocket does wonders for the bike while still allowing overdrive to be speeding ticket on the interstate-fast. the vibration is probably what people in the strom world refer to as "chudder". lowering the gearing a tad helps get past this point, I personally just try to spend less time at such low RPM
  9. Nitro1970

Nitro1970 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    So when you change gearing from stock how do you get the speedometer and odometer corrected?
  10. Craneguy

Oddometer:
    Exactly. Chain, sprockets, speedo healer, wouldn't that cost a lot more (and be a lot more work) than a Power Commander?
  11. goodcat8

goodcat8 Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
  12. helipilot650l

helipilot650l Sweet!!!!!!

Oddometer:
    Hey Guys I did the race tech springs to mu Vee and and now I am looking for a rear shock. I was going to have Squatch do it but he is now doing Time! So any one out the running an after market shock on the Vee? I am 6'2" 245 LBS. I ride a lot of two up. Any Ideas????:deal
  13. lentil

lentil King of the Dad Joke and Senior Status Legume

Oddometer:
    I just bought one of these http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=680675

its not on yet but I am excited :D

Should go with my 21 inch front wheel perfectly :D
  14. whipit1k

whipit1k Long timer

Oddometer:
    rear sprocket $50 speedo healer $110 power commander $350. you do the math.

also,The DL1000 is geared too tall. No amount of optimizing with a power commander will correct this
  15. Craneguy

Oddometer:
    Don't you need a new front sprocket and chain too? Labor as well unless you do your own wrenching.

Gearing seems fine to me.
  16. whipit1k

whipit1k Long timer

Oddometer:
    If your front sprocket and chain are in good shape there is no reason to replace them when making minor gearing changes. I dont even have a speedo healer...the speedo is off a little. not a lot. no big deal. most stock speedo's have some error to begine with. The gearing shange I am talking about is not a huge one. two teeth on the rear sprocket is all that is needed.
  17. lentil

lentil King of the Dad Joke and Senior Status Legume

Oddometer:
    The Stock Vstrom speedo is 10km (not miles) down or there abouts @ 100 kmh (60mph) they all are its just a fact of life I reckon and you learn to deal with it :D
  18. cb4017

cb4017 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hi Folks. I've been waiting for and wanting a Versys 1000 since they were introduced. Since Kawasaki has decided not to bring the V1000 to the US I started taking a close look at the DL1000. I looked at a 2012 Adventure. It didn't do anything for me. I didn't care for the included luggage and I'm tired of black motorcycles. I decided to get a new red/black DL1000 and install my own luggage. Made the deal for my VStrom a couple of days ago and it was delivered Friday. Six miles on it when delivered. I rode it to town to get a feel for it. I like it. Relaxed riding position is awesome. A little lean surge around 3K rpm but other than that it ran fine. Felt kind of like my old BMW R1100RS. I installed the Givi luggage. Here it is.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  19. JayS

JayS n00b

Oddometer:
  20. Nitro1970

Nitro1970 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Nice... I've been having a compound struggle going on in my mind about this bike... Buy with or without luggage? 650 or 1000? Drive a guy mad it will!!!

So to beat the dead horse one last time will a 650 with bags, top case and pillion keep up with the traffic on interstates easily. Speed limit is 75mph but traffic flow is more like 85. Now we won't get on them much but... Though I never rode one I figured with bags catching all that wind and the extra person the 650 would be getting short of breath. Then again this kind of trip would be only like twice a year with the rest of the time commuter duty.