Postive reinforcement for good car drivers

Discussion in 'The Perfect Line and Other Riding Myths' started by JGT, Sep 21, 2014.

1. JGT

JGT Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    A new thing I have started to do when riding:

When the driver of a car waiting to turn in front of me (either left or right) does the right thing and (a) notices me and then (b) does not pull out in front of me, I give a friendly head nod and (if safety permits) a little fingers-off-the-grip wave.

It is well known that positive reinforcement is a much better training method than punishment, but often we don't reward good behavior and concentrate instead on criticizing the bad.

Maybe giving a little reward to those drivers who do act right will encourage them to do this again. I may not ever encounter the same driver twice on the road, so I don't know if I'm really making things safer for myself by doing this. But perhaps it will influence them in their next interaction with a motorcyclist.

So consider this when you have a chance to let a motorist know that they have done the right thing, even if it is only what they should be doing anyway to follow the law. If it happens often enough, it could make the roads safer for all motorcyclists.
  2. Ledge End Hairy

Ledge End Hairy Lost in Space

Oddometer:
    I do this when riding my motorcycle but, also when pedaling my bike on the road, and even when I drive my cage. I focus on the positive for 2 reasons...

-positive reinforcement like you say and,

-keeps me in a positive frame of mind rather than getting all wound up over poor drivers

So, Ditto
  3. ozmoses

ozmoses persona non grata

Oddometer:
    I do this myself in the hopes...

kind of a sad commentary that it's necessary to reward(acknowledge) someone for doing what they should be doing anyway.
  4. randyo

randyo Long timer

Oddometer:

more often than not,when I am in this situation of a car not pulling out in front of me, I agree that the driver may be being courteous, but are giving up their right of way, when clearly I am the vehicle that should yield

I prefer that drivers simply obey traffic protocol
  5. ChrisSRT

ChrisSRT Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Do this as well, including waving to those that move out of the left lane so faster traffic can pass.
  6. JGT

JGT Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Oh, maybe I wasn't clear about that in my original post. I'm saying when I do have the right of way, but they don't turn left into my path and force evasive action on my part. That's when I give them the nod.

So it's just acknowledging them doing what they are legally required to do. But thanking them for it all the same.
  7. * SHAG *

* SHAG * Unstable

Oddometer:
    I've started to give a :wave to people that don't try to kill me also.
  8. 390beretta

390beretta Long timer

Oddometer:
    I do a similar thing: When a car is tailgating me (usually younger women), I wave them back with my left arm. If they drop back to a safe distance, I wave a "thank you". If they don't, like some asshole this week-end who gave me the hands in the air (speed up sign) he got the finger. (I was already doing the speed limit +5-10) He then got caught at the next light. I pulled up next to him but he wouldn't look at me.
  9. wheelbender6

wheelbender6 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I forget which leadership book it was, but it said to "Catch employees in the act of doing something good". They will be more positively affected by positive reinforcement.
  10. Buliwyf

Buliwyf Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I just let the missus on the back flash them.
  11. C/1/509

C/1/509 Think for yourself

Oddometer:
    Yes, certainly won't hurt
  12. the_sandman_454

the_sandman_454 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Me too. Reward good behavior even if it is stuff they already should be doing anyway.

I do negatively reinforce idiots who refuse to get out of the passing lane with a head shake or a wtf gesture with the hands. I'm thinking of plastering a full size traffic sign on my riding jacket's back that says "keep right except to pass".
  13. Bronco638

Bronco638 Nobody Home

Oddometer:
    I gave up on doing stuff like this. You usually get "WTF, speed up a-hole" look or get the finger in return. If I'm in the left lane and am being tail-gated, I'll move over and slow down. If I'm in the right lane, I'll just slow down until they decide to pass. I've had enough of battling with those idiots.

The positive reinforcement thing is intriguing though.
  14. ruin

ruin Been here awhile

Oddometer:

I really like this idea. ::D
  15. Navy Chief

Navy Chief Long timer

Oddometer:
    Positive reinforcement is an interesting idea, I will have to start doing this. I have a new strategy for the tailgaters that seems to be working, basically it is the closer you get the slower I ride. Most drivers seem to figure this out fairly quickly and back off.
  16. larryboy

larryboy Just obey!

Oddometer:
    I always give a friendly wave to drivers that notice I'm on a Goldwing and give me just a little bit more room when I'm splitting lanes. It's pretty easy to move a few more inches towards the fog line and I'm happy to say thanks. :nod
  17. aldend123

aldend123 Long timer

Oddometer:
    I'll give a wave (left hand in the air) whenever I can to drivers who are friendly. Especially those who are ready to pull out in front of me, but I can see them do a double-take and decide not to. They usually could have pulled out safely but I appreciate their patience, caution, and attention to driving. Or those who encourage me to pass by waving me on, hugging the edge & signaling etc. The people who go to change lanes in front of me, but decide not to also get a wave for using their mirrors properly.

I'm frustrated by people who want to give me priority when they have the right-of-way. And if I'm already stopped, I'll usually refuse to accept by keeping both feet on the ground, and motioning with my head that they should go. It's kind of a pain since my riding habits mean both hands are being used to hold levers.
  18. BadKarma

BadKarma Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I got pulled over by a State Patrolman during a morning commute last year. It was 0-dark thirty and I was tooling along when a vehicle came up behind me. He got right on my bumper (at 75mph:huh) and stayed right there, I slowed down, he slowed down, I sped up, he sped up. I tapped my brakes, waited... nothing. I signaled a right and pulled off on the shoulder and that's when he hit the lights...

He tried to tell me I had crossed the center line a couple of times (bullshit...) and that's why he was tailgating me before he pulled me over. Right... I told him I dislike being tailgated, especially on a largely deserted stretch of Interstate Highway. And even more especially when the tailgater has those fucking bright white lights. :deal

He apologised for the delay and I got back on the road.
  19. GreyThumper

GreyThumper Long timer

Oddometer:
    In Japan, it's pretty common to turn on your flashers (just two blinks, usually) to say thanks to someone who was courteous and is now behind your vehicle. Wish that habit was common where I lived. I just give a wave when someone moves over to let me pass. I figure it wouldn't hurt.
  20. moggi1964

moggi1964 Tiger Keeper

Oddometer:
    Double ditto