Rookie mistakes

Discussion in 'The Perfect Line and Other Riding Myths' started by gmk999, Sep 2, 2012.

1. gmk999

gmk999 23 wrong turns off the main trail

Oddometer:
    C'mon we all make them, Like today I was taking a hard, low speed turn onto a side street almost 180 degrees, Leaned hard to stay in my lane, but when I throttled up to stand the bike back up. I was in Neutral. I almost kept turning back onto the main rode.
    Experience has taught me to handle it. I downshifted and made the turn Ok , But had to laugh at myself for the Rookie mistake after 35 years of riding.

What is your latest
  2. Seppo

Seppo Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    i´ve got one:
    about a week ago, i came home on my ducati. put it in neutral und let the engine run to cool down a little bit. when i wanted to put out the sidestand, i unfortunatley hit the gear lever and put it into 1st gear without the clutch and the engine idling...the bike jumped a feet foreward and luckily stalled then. no damage done, but it would have been easy to drop it. :puke1
  3. Telemarktumalo

Telemarktumalo Go Red Sox!

Oddometer:
    I have one that I just accomplished. Changing tires last night and installing wheels. On the rear wheel, I stared at the lug bolts and decided to apply some of my bicycle maintenance strategy of putting grease on everything. Only after looking in the manual afterward, did I see the warning "Never apply grease to the lug bolts"! Doh! I can remove the bolts and easily dunk them in Simple Green and brush away the grease. But, what about the grease in the rear hub. Any recommendations?
  4. Bucho

Bucho DAMNrider Supporter

Oddometer:

I wouldnt lose any sleep over it if I were you.
  5. JohnCW

JohnCW Long timer

Oddometer:
    Trying to start the bike with the kill switch in the on/off?? (you know what I mean) position. Never usually use it just turn off the key. But one day filling up at gas station did before going to pay for the fuel. Forgot that I did and go to start it and dead as door nail. Rest of the rides is waiting to take off and I can't get the bike to even turn. Someone even asked me if the kill switch was the problem, I say no having it locked in my head I've got an electrical problem.

Just about to tell everyone else to take off I'll work out how to get the bike home, when one of the ride walks over and flicks my kill switch. Bike starts immediately.

Verrrrrry embarrassing.
  6. imnothng

imnothng Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Had a buddy that just got a new 2 stroke and he fouled a couple of plugs within the first few times of riding it. So we start riding one day with me in front and I notice after a few turns that he is no longer behind me. I head back to find him and he's trying to kick the bike over and over, really working up a sweat. I offer to try and I get a good sweat going. I ask him if it might be the plug yet again or did he forget to turn the gas on, and he says it shouldn't be the plug and of course the gas is on. Since he had another plug on him, we go ahead and change it. The thing still won't start, then I look at the fuel filter and sarcastically ask him if there's supposed to be gas in it. After I turned the fuel on we rode for the rest of the day with no issues.... I gave him a hard time about it for the next few rides.
  7. Yinzer Moto

Yinzer Moto Long timer

Oddometer:
    I would clog up the Internet with my list.

A couple that stand out:

I began riding dirtbikes while living on colorado and my riding buddies were rookies as well. We all ran 20+ psi in fear of getting pinch flats. I moved back east and could not ride at all. Then my buddy turned me on to the joy of single digit tire pressures. Sometimes around here I run 4psi in my rear tire.

Another thing I learned on my own and no one ever told me, the clutch on a bike is not like a clutch on a car. Using the clutch while offroad is mandatory. I don't know how I rode without using a clutch before. Just twisting my wrist.
  8. Conedodger

Conedodger Wanna Ride

Oddometer:
    Years ago I was taught to use the kill switch every time I shut the bike down. I never forget to turn it on as it is now habit before every ride. The added bonus is the switch is "tested" every day, so I know it will work if/when I need it.
  9. BootsandPants

BootsandPants Sprayer

Oddometer:
    Was logging a 600 mile day down to Oregon and pulled in for the last gas stop of the day. Pulled up to the pump and stayed on the bike while I took my gloves off and popped the cap. I then shifted the bike's weight to the side in order to get off. At some point in the next half a second, I realized that I had forgot to put the side stand down. Too late; had to lay 'er down :evil. Three seconds later I was laying on the ground with my bike at my feet, the pump attendants and other customers looking on in concern, and me laughing at myself. Popped up, got the bike back up and the pump attendant came over and asked if I was OK. My response was "Yeah man, I'm good at motorcycles" which sent him away laughing.

I blamed it on being on the road for so long that day...but really it was just my general stupidity at the moment :D.
  10. zerohype

zerohype Long timer

Oddometer:
    Using the rear brake only, my first 2 years of street riding. Back in 1978 and 79.:eek1 Came from riding exclusively from off road as a teenager/kid. Yikes, never down either though.
  11. bwalsh

bwalsh Long timer

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]

Use the straw that comes with it to direct the spray into the holes and hold a rag under it. :deal
  12. riverflow

riverflow Half Built

Oddometer:
    I did that once. I usually put my side stand down as soon as I stop, but I happened to be discussing dinner options with a friend. We decided to eat where we stopped, and I leaned the bike over onto its newly installed SUPER-ULTRA-LIGHT-AS-AIR-GROUND-LEVEL-KICKSTAND and it nearly took out his bike in the process. Don't worry, I'll look stupid enough for the both of us so you don't have to :rofl
  13. bwalsh

bwalsh Long timer

Oddometer:
    That's one topic I always explain to my students, in the classroom and again on the range, when we get into the slow speed maneuvering parts of the course. Still, they have a hard time grasping the concept of holding a steady throttle and using the clutch to increase or decrease their speed.
    They think they'll burn up the clutch if they don't immediately release it(because they would if it were a car/truck clutch). It's a night and day differeance using the friction zone to do slow speed maneuvers verses using the throttle alone.
  14. High Country Herb

High Country Herb Adventure Connoiseur

Oddometer:
    First long trip with TKC80 knobby tires on my 750 Aprilia. They seemed to handle decent, considering the type of tire. After gaining some confidence in them, I was caught off guard. I came to an intersection a bit too hot, and the car in front of me chose to stop at the yellow light. There simply wasn't enough traction to stop the bike, so I slid into the intersection between the car and the curb (front tire at the edge of traction too). I kept the bike upright, but looked like an idiot. Stopped, looked around, and made a right turn to get out of there. :shog
  15. Telemarktumalo

Telemarktumalo Go Red Sox!

Oddometer:
    Excellent! Thanks.

16. bwalsh

bwalsh Long timer

Oddometer:
    If you're more environmentally sensitive, go with the green labeled can. :D

Just an FYI regarding brakleen, I had a guy who works on engines tell me if you want to get rid of the gum/residue that ethanol leaves inside a carburetor, use the red labeled can. The green doesn't cut it(pardone the pun). Carb cleaner doesn't even touch it.

Sorry for the hijack.
  17. bwalsh

bwalsh Long timer

Oddometer:
    I did that once. I was also a bit too hot in a right turn lane, the truck in front of me decided to stop! They had the green light. WTF! :eek1
    I locked up the rear by accident and started to lowside into(under) the back of the vehicle! Luckily it was still upright enough to not highside me when I released the brake. I just did miss the rear bumper(with my leg) and slipped up along side the truck and the thru lane(with traffic in it) and stopped at the front of the truck. I did a quick look around, then got the hell outta dodge!
  18. ArmyStrong

ArmyStrong 6F

Oddometer:
    Taking off the center stand and forgetting the side stand was down - plop

Trying to creep up to a light and not put my foot down, hoping it would change green - plop

Not being quick enough on the horn because I did not practice prior, and instead hitting my light switch, resulted in a driver hitting me at a stop light (coming into my lane, she was texting and not seeing me) - no plop, no damage (to my bike), her car a scratch from my pannier

Hooking up a pig tail to my battery and touching the wrench to a ground - spark/shock

Routinely telling my wife that I will not spend much more on stuff for me or my bike - smack

Coming into a turn too hot, chickening out - slide (minor damage to bike/gear, no damage to me)

Not paying attention while backing out of a parking spot and allowing bike to lean beyond my strength - plop

Not being able to pick my bike up despite watching video of 130 lbs female doing so - shame

Leaving my pannier top open and doing 70 on interstate - clappity clap clap and me wondering whats that noise

Doing too much with GPS while moving - scary but ABS verification check done

Spending an hour looking for my keys at a gas station and then finding them IN THE IGNITION - shame

that's enough for now - wheres my sign?
  19. Vankaye

Vankaye n00b on the move

Oddometer:
    I can't really call it a rookie mistake as I have done this dozens and dozens of times. It's really more of a mental disorder.

On my 2 stroke... I am constantly forgetting to take this out before the first morning kick!!!!

[​IMG]
  20. dwoodward

dwoodward Long timer

Oddometer:
    (Hijack)
    I, on the other hand, find it easier to hold the clutch steady and use the throttle as needed. Same effect, different technique.

You may be relieved to know that as of BRC2014, it is possible to do this and not die immediately. (In Oregon and Idaho, it's been possible for over 10 years now...)
    (/Hijack)

Some years ago I was riding my KLR down to Eugene (about 90 miles) for a day conference. I'd just changed the oil with Mobile One. Hit the bottom of my exit ramp, hit the brakes... no rear brake. I mean, there was pressure, but no effect. WTF? Look down, yeah- filler cap missing, right side of bike and right leg coated in a fine mist of synthetic oil.

Got to the parking garage just fine, but pissed off. Got off the bike and started walking away. The loud crash was my first reminder that I hadn't put the kickstand down...

Took most of a can of brake cleaner to get the bike cleaned up, found a rubber stopper to fit in the filler hole. Had to replace the brake pads. When I got home the filler cap was on the toolbox, right where I'd left it.