KTM 1190 ADV R Ultimate Tire Thread

Discussion in 'Hard. Core. (1090/1190/1290)' started by coloktmGS, Jan 5, 2014.

1. KnucklesGA

KnucklesGA Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Has anyone run any sections of well-known US big ADV-bike 'friendly' trails (e.g. COBDR, UTBDR, White Rim, etc) on their 1190 that can talk about knobbie tire performance and wear on those rides? I come from a background of riding a 650 with D606s on those trails, so I need all the help I can get on figuring out off road tires for the 1190.
  2. scudrunner82

scudrunner82 combustion addict

Oddometer:
    If you're looking for a tire that gets great wear and actually has traction in all conditions check out Mitas E07 tires. They only make the rear in tubeless for the R model but it's a FANTASTIC do all option. I'm pairing mine with a TKC80 front.
    EMFL likes this.
  3. SonoraDave

SonoraDave Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Here is a photo of my front TKC 80 with 4000 miles so far. Probably 1000 of it in the dirt. I'm happy with the on road and off road manners. I'm running 1 oz of Dyna Beads for balance. The sides are wearing a bit faster than the middle. I have mainly twisty roads where I live. :wink:

[​IMG]
  4. scudrunner82

scudrunner82 combustion addict

Oddometer:

That picture is very encouraging!! I have 3000 miles on my Karoo 3 front and doesn't look ay better than that. I just ordered up a TKC front to match up with my E07 rear.
  5. Schussboelie

Schussboelie Kicking up dirt Supporter

Oddometer:
    Glad I found this thread, I'm looking onto tires for the HardAlpiTour in September.

Funny thing though that most of you combine the Mitas or Heidenau rear with a TKC front where I've been getting quite the opposite info earlier stating the TKC sucks on a 21" rim.

Also, has anyone tried the Mitas E10? And why have all you E07/E09 users chosen that one over the E10?
    [​IMG]
  6. Schussboelie

Oddometer:
    Any news or experiences you'd like to share with us?
  7. stuza

stuza Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hi Guys,

Here in the middle east (Muscat, Oman) our tyre choices are VERY limited. Even Dubai doesn't have what we need.

anyone know a company that ships tyres internationally?

Thanks!
  8. Mowster

Mowster Stressed Member

Oddometer:
    PIRELLI M/T 90's....

Probly get 7k km's out of them - 5k km's so far...

Very impressed with the road holding - you can still run with sports bikes in the twisties...and still get through some mud and dust.

I let pressures down to 20/22 psi....pump back up with a mini compressor...
  9. wilmar13

wilmar13 Long timer

Oddometer:
    ^
    Yes, I just saw on Revzilla the Pirelli MT90 is now available in TL for both front and rear. Maybe this isn't new, but I swear when I looked a few weeks ago only tube type was available as this is the tire I want to try next.
  10. FuzzyDunlop

FuzzyDunlop Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I feel kind of dirty contributing to a tire thread, which is weird cos I do find them useful from time to time.

+1 for the Mitas E07 rear. Much rounder profile than the Heidi's so they steer better, and they seem to have more grip on and off tarmac. I will expect to get around the same mileage as the Heidis which is around 8 or 9 k kilometers. Cheaper too so win/win.

One caveat is that on tamac in the wet they do tend to let go spectacularly and without warning when giving the bike the berries.

Running a Heidi front atm but might give the Karoo 3 a crack next change. Like the TKC but worried about the squishiness. My Tiger 800 rims took a pounding when I ran one.

So what brake fluid to y'all use?
  11. andrewrt

andrewrt Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I was running a TKC 80 front and a K60 rear for some fairly aggressive off road riding.

The TKC 80 split on the sidewall all the way down to the ply but didn't come off the bead. Rim is a bit warped. Tire stayed inflated and got me home.

The K60 I find does nothing well off road and really slows me down on the slab.

I am currently thinking of making a second set of wheels up one tubed (off road) and one tubeless (on-road) trips.

Anyone tried making up a tubed set of wheels yet?

Found this while searching and seems promising but complicated?

http://www.wilddog.za.net/forum/index.php?topic=131440.0

Any thoughts or advice welcome.

<?xml:namespace prefix = "o" ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" /><o:p></o:p>​
  12. DirtJack

DirtJack Adventurer Supporter

Oddometer:
    356 miles SE or 539 miles NW of Orla, Texas
    Mine are in progress. RAD makes hubs and wheel sets. Mine have Excel rims, 1.85 front, 2.5 rear so I can mount any tube tires I want.
  13. Boats69

Boats69 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I am also looking at this at present, got a quote from Woody's and also looking at getting a hub from KTM and have an Excel rim laced locally. Currently running the MITAS E10 front and E09 rear, great on dirt but can see that it won't last on tar.
  14. Nowwhat

Nowwhat I'll Go Second... Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    Yup the TKC is not a dirt tire....:deal....It is for butching up GS's while they sit at Starbucks....
    Marlin.45 likes this.
  15. andrewrt

andrewrt Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thanks great info.

Let me know when they are finished and the approx cost.
  16. andrewrt

andrewrt Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thanks going to try the Mitas.
  17. Schussboelie

Oddometer:
    I'm having a set of Mitas E10 (both front and rear) fitted late this week or early next week, they're on order as we speak.

Boats69, any reason for the mix between E10 and E09??
  18. viducce

viducce Island Explorer

Oddometer:
    Define dirt tire, MC tires are real dirt tires but useless onroad...
    Tire choice depends on the individual requirement, I use the
    TKC80 mostly onroad and on some easy to medium trails - fire roads
    It performs well has great grip because its a relatively soft tire and therefore
    doesn't really provide great milage....
  19. IanC

IanC Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I'd agree, TKC's are very good on dirt, and pretty good on road, used them from Dempster highway to the Sahara desert. Not just for posing! Though obviously not quite as good as a full knobbly.

However, trying some MT90's for the first time on my 1190, seem good so far though I'm not expecting too much in the mud.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk
  20. ebrew

ebrew Motorcycle A.D.D.

Oddometer:
    Ok.

TDye82 likes this.