2014 KTM Adventure 1190 Thread

Discussion in 'Hard. Core. (1090/1190/1290)' started by harryzgnilek, Dec 3, 2013.

1. AmericanWalkabout

AmericanWalkabout Lost in the Wilderness

Oddometer:
    Good to hear. Mine was pretty clean after 3000 too. A little in the box but a new bead of RTV should fix that up.

I guess the engineers figure we only need to get in there every 24000 km. The real idiocy is the poor design that makes us all paranoid and wanting to check it every 2-3 k. If you dislike the effort for the 1190R don't ever buy a multistrada. It requires even more fiddly work but then their air box doesn't suck dirt and only needs to be opened at service when the tank will likely be off anyway.

Good riding...
  2. Mowster

Mowster Stressed Member

Oddometer:
    Just replaced a Unifilter at 22k kms.

Installed the kit when bike was new.

Done some dusty riding in that time, but with care; shutting down, or clutch in/idleing when passing thru dusty section etc

;NO DUST in the throttle bodies :norton...just a little oil sucked thru from the filter :1drink
  3. Johnny34

Johnny34 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I'm headed to Bellingham for a job next week and plan on stopping by. Maybe I'll get lucky.
  4. BrightSight

BrightSight Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I plan to do some off-road riding after I put on the RUMBUX crash bars that I have on order. I have only ridden my 2014 1190 Adventure once on unpaved roads: about 15 miles (south end of Colorado's Phantom Canyon) in February on a day without any noticeable dust. The other 1957 miles have been on pavement. (Very sad to report that I have only had time to ride 1972 miles since I got the bike last December). Having recently read the various internet horror stories about KTM 1190 Adventure/R engine damage, I ordered the Unifilter and installed it two days ago.

I was very surprised to find a significant layer of dust on the inside of both trumpets (or whatever those two stacks are called). The OEM filter was clean except for some small insects. I suspect most of the dirt entered through the seam between the airbox lid and the airbox body. The box-lid seal did not appear to be tight except near the eight bolt locations. The foam lid gasket provided with the Unifilter appears to make a much better seal.

The engine has been running great, so I am hoping this fix is not too late. I wish I had installed the Unifilter when these first became available for the 2014 model year. I am glad to hear that the OEM filter and airbox have worked well on some bikes, but it has not been working well on mine. I hear that KTM is now recommending a different filter upgrade (not the Unifilter). If you go that route, I recommend doing something to seal up the contact seam between the airbox body and lid.

I absolutely love this bike, and I thank KTM for building it. But I now understand that I must seriously take responsibility for addressing all design problems as soon as these are reported by 1190 Adventure/R owners.

I cannot recommend this bike to anyone not interested in keeping abreast of reported design problems and getting these fixed early. Those riders may be better served by more conservatively designed bikes such as the Suzuki V-Strom and the Yamaha Super Tenere.
  5. 2wheeladv

2wheeladv Lost & lov'n it

Oddometer:
    That's good to hear. Did you notice a drop in power after you installed the Unifilter? Today I rode my first 250 mile ride and the 1190 doesn't have as much punch. The only part changed is the UniFilter. :cry
  6. Koolranch

Koolranch NCADVR

Oddometer:
    Looks awesome.
  7. VonBiker

VonBiker Work sucks and then you RIDE! Supporter

Oddometer:
    Looks great Kag. Nice work.
    I bet your excited to get back on it!
  8. team taz

team taz Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I just got back from a 4,500 mile road trip and had no problems, the bike ran great. Then the next morning after I got home, I unloaded and washed the bike. Then I started the bike and pulled it into the shop and the warning indicator flashed a "general failure" code. I checked all lights , fuses, and all electrical components and all are good.I know the bike is under warranty, but I'm curious what might be the problem. The bike is a 1190 adventurer R with 5,000 miles, and I did remove the canister under the seat at 600 miles. Any ideas would be appreciated.
  9. kag

kag Wander Lust

Oddometer:
    Does the bike run fine? If unknown ride it and see. There have been several of these reports and several reports of it being nothing....general failure resolves as mysterically as it arrives. You washed it and I suspect there is a correlation that water got into something. I guess we will see after your dealer looks at it
  10. Rainier_runner

Rainier_runner Heh..?

Oddometer:
    Good luck!!!
  11. oldfuddy

oldfuddy Long timer

Oddometer:
    +1 on something got wet. Let it sit and dry out good. You can get a hose in places rains doesn't normally get at.
  12. Schussboelie

Schussboelie Kicking up dirt Supporter

Oddometer:
    Yo Kag, bike looks awesome!!
    Would you care to share how/with what you blacked out the exhaust??
  13. kag

kag Wander Lust

Oddometer:
    I used a high temp stove paint that had ceramic in it.....another product a guy told me about i think is better is FlameProof

I used 3 coats and then on the pipes after coating I wrapped with a good black exhaust wrap
  14. Schussboelie

Oddometer:
    Thanks for that!
    And for prepping? Sand it all down??
  15. Mowster

Mowster Stressed Member

Oddometer:
    Yeah, maybe a bit - there is a comprehensive dyno test around this thread somewhere....the Unifilter sure saps a fair bit.......I don't mind - full power isn't used all that much... :dunno

might try the new K+N filter next....
  16. PBrad

PBrad Paul

Oddometer:
    It bugged me wow a bit, the power loss from the unifilter. Just remove the intake socks. You'll gain back nearly all of the power lost. You really don't need the prefilter either.
  17. DirtJack

DirtJack Adventurer Supporter

Oddometer:
    356 miles SE or 539 miles NW of Orla, Texas
    kag, I like this version better than the previous. Can you tell us the process used to paint the plastic? Anything special/unusual needed?
  18. BlueCattledog

BlueCattledog Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hi hope this helps any of you with 2013 bikes who have paid for the MSC update to be flashed to your bike only to have lost things on your favourites page. I lost the fuel consumption and fuel milage left to run settings.
    Find a road on which you can have a clear fast run; reset trips 1 and 2, run the bike at a constant speed, I done this at 70+ miles/hr and run bike until settings reset.
    It only took approx 5 miles to reset mine but I believe it may take upto 20.
    Thanks to Jim Drysdale dealers Perth, Scotland for passing on this info.
  19. Schussboelie

Oddometer:
    On my bike (2014 R) it takes exactly 10 km to reset.
  20. Schussboelie

Oddometer:
    By the way, it's the same when you reset either one of the two trip counters, always takes 10km for it to show new values for fuel consumption and range.