If you had to choose between a KTM 690 Enduro or a 950SE, which would it be?

Discussion in 'Dakar champion (950/990)' started by kirkmoon, Mar 4, 2008.

1. Stobie

Stobie Mr. Motivated Supporter

Oddometer:
    So Kirk, I see a Husky in your sig line.

Is it SM time?:ear
  2. kirkmoon

kirkmoon Making up for lost youth

Oddometer:
    Funny you should ask. :lol3

That's exactly what I've been thinking. I need a bike that will serve as a weekend play bike and that I can use to get to and from work (short cross town urban commute.)

I have been thinking about the 690 SMC vs. the 950 SM. I even had a line on an '07 950 SM-R that 3Bros KTM in Temecula was selling for $9000. I missed out on that bike by a day. It was one of the KTM NA demo bikes. Had 4K miles on it and was in great shape. Bummer.

But to tell you the truth, I am STILL thinking about the 950 SE. I know it is a dirt bike and I know that the SM is infinitely better as a street bike than the SE, but I am somewhat afraid that having a hard core street hot rod will just get me in trouble (I couldn't help but ride like a jerk on the Super Duke.) Plus I think the handling of the SM is just a little bit "twitchy" due to the steep head angle and short wheel base, particularly on bumpy pavement. Popey let me ride his this past weekend and I had a lot of fun (thanks Ed!), but it wasn't perfect.

I think the SE is just a wickedly cool looking bike and have been thinking about getting one, putting a set of 17/19 wheels on it, and using it mostly for weekend play and commuting. I know it is sacrilige, but I just can't get it out of my mind. I bet it would be super fun. Plus it would probably be better at soaking up bumpy pavement. Plus I wouldn't be tempted to push it quite as hard as the SM because of the skinnier tires and the weaker front brake. Plus I could always take it out into the dirt when the opportunities arose.

The Husky, BTW, seems to be a really great dual sport bike. I've only had it for a few weeks and haven't taken it out into the dirt yet, but I love how it handles and the power is excellent. Looking forward to getting it out on an extended trip into the dirt a few weeks from now.
  3. soundasleeprecording

soundasleeprecording genuine pleather seating

Oddometer:
    dallas, texas, EARTH (sky-ground-sky sometimes)
    SMC.

If you rode like fiend on the SD, why would you do any differently on the LC8 SE/SM/SMR?

On the SMC, you'll be able to wring it's neck and still be under 75mph. Get the silly off-road wheels if you must, but after changing them 1 or 2x, you'll want to go get on the TE anyway.
  4. kirkmoon

Oddometer:
    I have no doubt that if I got any bike that was competent on tight twisty roads I wouldn't be able to behave myself.

The biggest fear I have about getting the SE is that I would do exactly that, and end up getting myself in trouble because of the limitations of the tires and brakes.

At this point, I am on the waiting list for a 690 SMC, but I love the LC8 engine and I just can't seem to get the SE out of my head.

Help me. :rofl
  5. Claybuster

Claybuster Been here awhile

Oddometer:

Once the SE gets in your head, it's a short trip to your garage.:D
  6. grb6372

grb6372 GRB6372

Oddometer:
    I too am comparing the new 690 with the 950 SE. Its done my head in too. I have concluded that my interest in the 690 is based on my head saying the single is more practical, cheaper, and newer. It has bridged the gap somewhat to the 950SE over say the 640 - LC4.

My heart says 950SE all the way. Lets face it, thats why we cant get off this thread. We know we want one. By all accounts, this bike is an excitement machine. I dream about riding one.

My gut feeling says back off. The power and performance will bring you undone. Previously I backed off from a road muscle bike (XJR1300) and moved into the dual sport Wee Stom 650 and also KLR650. These 2 bikes heavily modified for dual sport and very competent. BUT I am getting bored with them.

My 525 EXC is incredible on the dirt. Motard wheels extended the fun on the road. Very high maintenance though.

My ZX7R is my track bike tool.

I see the 950 SE covering all the above bases in one bike. I just like the bike. It does something for me. What better reason than that. The USA prices almost tempt me to come over there and get one. Nearly 20K AUS out here. Thats about 18K US. Ouch !!!

Greg B
    Oz
  7. MookieBlaylock

MookieBlaylock Long timer

Oddometer:
    690e lower c of g and probably better balanced and us mere mortals will be able to travel way quicker on dirt with it --low 300 pound range

950 se sick urban machine and back road flyer able to soak up bad pavement---low 400 pound range
  8. HappyGoLucky

HappyGoLucky Goeie Grys Giftige Gert!

Oddometer:
    How about an informed opinion?

:D

I rode the 690 Enduro this weekend, on an enduro course set for KTM owners. I am coming off my own bike which is a SE.

I ride my bike fairly well, I am not in the top class but definately not in the bottom.

When I got on the 690, my first impression was that of a toy. Its so light, its so tiny, and just odd.

I found the suspension to be competent, I found the engine nice and torquey, and I found the FI gave me hassles within 2minutes (ok - I didnt know to start the thing properly - RTFM) :lol3

Fueling itself was perfect, and man - on loose rocks and dirt this thing was SO much easier to ride than my SE.

Only thing is, that I felt like the hunchback of NotreDame on it, it needs serious bar risers. I am only 6ft, so the taller guys must really crap themselves.

Awesome bike, but for the price?

Gimme my SE - anyday.

:deal
  9. dhaynes

dhaynes Alpha geek

Oddometer:
    ...and have been ogling the 690 on the KTM website.

I actually wanted to get a 525/530 but the 690 isn't that much heavier (50lbs) and a lot more versatile.

I'd be completely satisfied (complete understatement) with the SE *if* the dang thing was about 3" to 4" lower in seat height. I've got a Renazco seat on it (+1") and when I get into the tight stuff, loose stuff, muddy stuff etc. it's very difficult to manage due to my 31" inseam.

The other issue with the SE that it looks like the 690 might address (any owners out there that can confirm this?) the range issue of the SE. Range to empty on the SE is somewhere between 100 and 140 miles. I made it to 137 miles and the engine I was on fumes, engine cutting out now and then, coasted into the gas station. Generally the reserve light comes on between 70 and 90 miles. The 690 has almost as big a tank (minus 2.5L) but I'm guessing the single doesn't swallow the fuel the way the LC8 does.

If I get a 690, I'm keeping the SE... in fact if I were destitute tomorrow and could have only one bike, I'd keep the SE and sell the GSA.

There is *NO* substitute for the SE. Riding it is a complete fantasy experience, unlimited power, perfect brakes, amazing suspension, excellent ergonomics, flashing lights from the cops... er... um... wait a minute, that's not supposed to be in there! :lol3
  10. wreckinshop

wreckinshop super enduro

Oddometer:
    Havent rode the 690 yet but first off it looks like all wheels no bike(chic bike like a HD sportster) now a 690 baja if they ever produce one witch they probably will not I would take 2.They will come out with aftermarket products to make it a baja model 2years from now and an extra $4000.00, I dont get all the hype myself just put an old metal milk crate on the back and a thumb bell on the bars and you have your own 2 wheel grocery getter:lol3
  11. gabrielu

gabrielu let's go

Oddometer:
    bottom line is you'll talk yourself out of the SE if you think about it too hard, stare at the lbs, etc etc.

Then you ride it for 10 minutes, and you can't get the grin off your mug, and start thinking at ways to rationalize your choice.

Ride it and you'll know all you need to know: it's heavy, once you get going the weight is all gone, it's a wheelie-o-matic machine, it's tall, it's only ~30lbs lees than the adv but it feels 100lbs less, grin factor is huge-

Find a friend or a dealer and take it for a ride-
    I had a 950 adventure for a month, had to take it back for some repairs and tried the SE since I was at the dealer- I drove off with the SE :D and have loved every minute on it-

Gabriele-
  12. neduro

neduro Long timer

Oddometer:
    The difference between a 530 and 690 will be large. 50 lbs is an enormous amount on bikes like these.

2.5 liters is also a substantial difference.

My experience is that most bikes get similar mileage ridden the same way. It's kind of uncanny that wildly different engine configurations get about the same mileage on loops I know, I think the issue is that most modern engines operate at about the same efficiency...

There are certainly outliers to this rule (F650GS's get amazing mileage), but I've found it to be generally true between my 2-stroke and 4-stroke, XR's and KTM's, and singles and twins.

The fuel injection on the 690 might be more efficient than the SE's carbs, but the 990's and 950's don't seem to get much different mileage. :dunno

How's that for scientific? :lol3
  13. soundasleeprecording

soundasleeprecording genuine pleather seating

Oddometer:
    dallas, texas, EARTH (sky-ground-sky sometimes)
    Taking in consideration your expressed purpose/usage of the bike, the SE sounds so much like a dirt bike that you'll be riding on the street.
    The SM sounds like the perfect edition, but you've been there already.

Get an SE, get the 19/17 SM set up for it, and then ride it. If you hate it (or don't love it enormously), you probably won't have trouble unloading it here on AdvRider. Either way (690SMC or 950SE), you'll be able to unload w/o too much bloodletting. It's not like you don't have anything to ride in the garage....
  14. reconsmr

reconsmr Banned

Oddometer:
    "My experience is that most bikes get similar mileage ridden the same way. It's kind of uncanny that wildly different engine configurations get about the same mileage on loops I know, I think the issue is that most modern engines operate at about the same efficiency..."

My 950SMR ridden along the same roads and pace with my buddy on a 690SM are a lil different, 38 MPG for me, 57 MPG for him. Aggressive street pace, wheelies over crests, hard braking into corners, up & down from 40 to 65 MPH on country two lanes. Expect the 690 to always do better IMHO, the 950 is starting out with piss poor MPG from the get go. My SE drops to low 30s pretty easily and hit reserve at 60 miles or so once trail riding in snowy muck, what is that, like 20+ MPG. I think you'll have to drill a hole in the 690 tank to drain it that fast!

I've ridden the 690SM, it is NOT a 950, lacks that punch that you forget the 950 has but it is alot smaller all around, pops you up in an over the front wheel position and if I never rode a 950 I'd never miss the extra power/stability and funkyness. When you look in your mirrors on a 950 and see you are pulling away hard, real hard, from an equal rider on a 690 you remember its strengths!
  15. The Big Bear

The Big Bear THE BIG BEAR

Oddometer:
    I think the answer on which bikes could be in "Customer Satisfaction of a high dollar purchase item" and this comes from the people who have the SE.

Usually for most people who have the dough to buy "Disposable Items" like bikes of this calaber you have to ask yourself how many times have you bought something and kept it longer than a year or two???

For me I have been through three 450's of three different brands in only 6 years.

Now for the 950 SE??? I will not get rid of it until I have to canablize it!!!!!!

I have yet to find a link "Correct me if I am Wrong" where a SE rider will tell you they are not happy with their 950 SE and they flat out want to sell it---- regardless of how much they lose on it.

Why is this? I think it is because the bike just flat out performs like it was designed to.

I am finding the limitations are in the Rider, (IE....ME) I think this is the single most important aspect of the 950 SE,

It will do everythiing you want or ask of it,

#1 Insane Dirt Bike for the Desert----just like it is.

#2 Race Bike for the Desert? Step up like several members of the site have done and you have a Baja 1000 proven with a few Mods.

#3 Travel bike? Only limited by it's fuel tank and this will be fixed in due time with a aftermarket Tank from Vendors; Luggage has been taken care of by several other vendors.

#4 Insane Commuter Street Bike?? QTMI and Woody's will fix this with a simple wheel change. I have done this and every single day I can't wait for the alarm to go off so I can "Ride" my SE to work.

For me this bike is the first bike in a long list of "Previously owned" that I can change a few parts and run the tables. In the desert on weekends and on the street during the week; It really does it all for me.

Including the grin on my face no matter what Terrain is passing under it's wheels.

My only concern about this bike???? they are not going to make any more??????? Damn!!!!!

Bear
  16. kirkmoon

Oddometer:
    I've actually never owned an SM, only a SD. They are quite different. The SM is probably the bike I "need" for my stated use. But I have been on them several times and have found that there are a few handling characteristics that I don't love.

For one thing, the front end is a tiny bit twitchy and doesn't deal with bumps as well as I would prefer. Leaned over, bumps make the bike feel a bit unstable, almost like it is going to tuck, perhaps due to the steep head angle.

Second, after applying pressure to the handlebars to initiate a turn, the bike doesn't want to hold the line like other bikes I have owned (including the SD) and needs continued input throughout the turn. This can be mitigated by riding the bike like a real supermoto, steering with the hips and pushing down on the bars to initiate a turn rather than applying countersteering. This style of riding on the SM actually works pretty well, but I have found that it has its own limitations.

Both of these may be simply due to suspension setup and resolvable. I don't know.

I guess I never got completely confident that if I was near the outer edge of the envelope and something unexpected happend that the bike would respond predictably and favorably. I am not sure if this is just due to the limited amount of time I have been able to spend on the SM or if it is just the way it truly is.

The biggest advantage of getting an SM is that they can be had at a sharp discount. Same for the SE, but I would have to spend a substantial amount of change to turn it into a street bike.

The SMC is cheaper than either, but not by much, and being the new toy on the block, it will undoubtedly lose value quicker than either of the other two.

Still in a fog on all of this. Since my lovely wife doesn't know that I am even thinking of another bike perhaps the better part of valor would be to "just say no" for the time being. But that would be completely out of character for me. :lol3
  17. kirkmoon

Oddometer:
    See. It's posts like this that make me want an SE, even if it doesn't make a lot of sense for my stated use.

Sheeeeeeeeiiiiiiit. :lol3
  18. pibbow

pibbow Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I put a deposit on one/mine today!!! :clap :clap been undecided for six months and I have not been able to test ride one anywhere. I was 50/50 se/adventurer but after all these posts and an unbelievable price on the SE I just had to have one.

Never had an enduro bike, always have and will be a Ducati nut but as I live on a Scottish Island with the worst roads in europe so I need something that I can use every day inc winter. 996r is not for this terrain. (146 miles of forestry track, 90 miles of coast/beach & hundred's of sq kilometers of moorland etc,etc

Can't wait untill I pic it up.
    Never ever purchased a new bike without extended test ride before, so if it's crap you lot are for it:D :D
  19. Stobie

Stobie Mr. Motivated Supporter

Oddometer:
    Congrats!!:beer

You will not be disappointed.

Sounds like you have a great place to ride.
  20. docgonzo

docgonzo Great Old Turtle

Oddometer:
    within 20 miles of the Center of the Universe
    We who have one know what we have. Those who don't, don't. I say we keep it a secret, so that an occasional SE will come up for grabs as a used bike that the owner just couldn't handle. Then, we can get our replacement bikes for when we wear this military grade, jungle assault vehicle out.

Truely, the only concern with an SE is when it will wear out or get broken, and what you will do when that happens.

I've had mine for two years now. If it continues to hold together, I plan on growing old with it. I just hope parts will continue to be available.

KTM made this bike to answer the HP-2. I'm not sure if they actually make any money on the model, but it definitely sent a message to BMW! I'm glad they took on the challenge, because I love my baby.