Mainland China Scoots-Opinions Please!

Discussion in 'Battle Scooters' started by bond007, Mar 20, 2008.

1. bond007

bond007 bond007

Oddometer:
    I have been over at scootdawg.com forum and they are crazy about junky Mainland China Scoots. Well I was desperate financially, or thought I was. I fell for the forum owners advise,(Scootdawg), and purchased a Qlink Pegasus 150. Turns out the toy overheats! I took it back to the dealor because it was supposed to have a 2yr warranty and he said; Well of course it overheats! He said I violated my warranty and refused to do anythig about it. So I tried to trade it in. I went to another Qlink dealor and he would only give me about $200 for it! So I took it back home realizing the dealers know it is junk. The second dealor while doing some figuring slipped and mentioned he only pays about $600 for it. I paid $2200 for the thing! Wow who could believe you could buy a motorized vehicle in this day and age that overheats. I tore it down, looks like a blown head gasket at 650 miles. And I'm sure that the radiator is not big enough.
    Well here are some pics smal tiny radiator that is from th Qlink 150cc. The larger one is out of a Ninja 250cc [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    This is about how shocked I was when I saw the tiny original radiator. Surround the engine with plastic and expect the tiny radiator to cool the scoot! No way! I am now working on it! Getting a new head gasket custom made that is worth using and I'm going to put on a Ninja 250cc radiator behind the front wheel. The tiny original was in the front cowl with a fan in front of it! Never hve I witnessed such poor engineering. Another pic!
    [​IMG]
    I was to p!ssed for a year and a half to work on it! But now that I'm over it, I'm actually am looking forward to owning the only streetable Qlink 150cc on the road!
    Good news is my wife is going to use it to go back and forth to work 12 miles one way! Will probably eventually recoupe my losses on the gas we save! Gas was $3.49 at her convience store a day or too ago. Deisel was $4.10! Probably gas will go over $4 by summer tourist season! Ouch!
    Here is a pic of a reliable scoot a KYMCO Xciting 500. My last bike was a Yamaha 1100 but the Xciting is more fun than any other road bike I've owned and that has been several. Pic of Xciting 500
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Peace Out!:lol3
  2. Nd2Roam

Nd2Roam Charleston, WV

Oddometer:
    How did he claim you violated the warranty or did you mod it some how? Otherwise, time to call the attourney general or BBB.
  3. Cat0020

Cat0020 El cheapo

Oddometer:
    Small scooter engine overheating, doesn't sound all that unusual to me.. heck, any engine would over heat if you leave it on long enough.
  4. bvardi

bvardi Probably not Deciduous

Oddometer:
    Don't know about all brands, but my Kymco B&W 150 has been run on the mad bastard scooter rally - 800km, did it in 12 hours altogether with a good chunk of that WOT. (My wife has the 250, I had to keep up with her, so I pushed the speed a little.)

Temperature gauge on the scooter went up to about 1/5th of the way and stayed there - no overheating problem at all. I've run it at 35C days for a few hours in stop and go traffic as well - no problem at all. The radiator+electric fan on mine does the trick quite nicely.
  5. Cat0020

Cat0020 El cheapo

Oddometer:
    Have you tested if that temperature guage actually works?
  6. bvardi

Oddometer:
    Kymco's pretty reliable - they aren't the mainland no name brands of China. They made machines for Honda under contract (the honda elite scooters) and are one of the biggest manufacturers around - if still fairly new to north america.

The temp gauge does work - can't say how accurate it is, but it does move when the scooter is running up to a certain level (and a bit more after you run it long enough) and I'm pretty confident its' telling the correct story - but I haven't verified it with any test equipment.

10,000 km and basically I've replaced the battery (my fault, didn't keep a trickle charger on it over the winter) and the drive belt at 9500km. I've driven it for in stop and go city traffic, on the highway, on long trips and plenty of short rides.

8000 km on my wife's machine (kymco 250) - so far we've re-lubed a squeaky speedo cable and replaced a headlight bulb (high beam went).

(also around 26 kymco's went into the mad bastard rally - 800kms and 12-24 hours to do it depending on your engine size, and there was a mix of machines with mileage and at least a couple that were almost right out of the box. None of the kymcos had any mechanical problems at all - or any overheating.)

I'd feel similar confidence of course in a Honda, Yamaha or other big name player - I have seen a few of the chinese lesser known brands and they seem a lot more of a mixed bag. Some of them are alright if you get a good one (but the quality control isn't quite as good and you might get one with a few issues, but with a dealer who checks the machine properly and honours the warranty you should be good.) Others (which mostly don't make it up into Canada) I have heard are basically complete crap - and some dangerously so.

Of course this is all my experience, opinions, etc.
  7. Cat0020

Cat0020 El cheapo

Oddometer:
    Ok, so have you actually tested if the temperature guage works?

When you leave the engine idle until the radiator fan kicks on, does the temperature guage read more than 1/2 or 3/4 way to hot? that should be a easy enough test to perform.
  8. ExDesertDog

ExDesertDog Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    As far as the radiator goes, my son who lives in China tells me it never gets warm enogh there for anything to over heat. Actually you need to keep the engine warm so the oil wont freeze.
  9. Mohawk Badger

Mohawk Badger Registered

Oddometer:
    Let's face it, even if Chinese product were worth it, and the quality of their scoots is really bad, they are an imperialist nation every bit as bad as the one they overthrough in the 50's.

They are currently killing Tibetans, threatening Butan and arguing with Nepal about the border.

Just boycott the fucks and have done with it.
  10. Cat0020

Cat0020 El cheapo

Oddometer:
    It is not s easy as you think, I doubt you could live a year without products that are "made in China":

http://blogs.reuters.com/from-reuterscom/2008/01/17/game-over-reflections-on-living-china-free/

As trade liberalization and globalization sweep the world, people can buy goods made in various parts of the world without going abroad. An interesting phenomenon is that some Chinese who get rich first are showing growing interest in foreign up-market brand goods while ordinary people in developed countries like Europe, the US and Japan are more willing to buy quality Chinese goods at a cheaper price.

It was a privilege of the rich in developed countries to enjoy luxuries like yachts, fancy cars, Rolex, expensive jewelries and brand-name garments. Nowadays some Chinese can afford them too and are becoming a new customer group eyed by businesses.

Statistics show Chinese people spend about US$2 billion on purchase of luxuries each year, accounting for 12 percent of world sales of such items. That makes it rank the third in the world, second only to the US and Japan. Some analysts point out sale of luxuries in China is set to soar and by the year 2010 China would contribute to 20 percent of world luxuries sale.

China-made toys, textiles, shoes and wood products are extremely popular among consumers in developed countries. The US Christian Science Monitor carried an article titled A Year Without 'Made In China', which records an American housewife's attempt to refrain from buying China-made goods for one year and see what life would be like. Her conclusion after one year's life without goods made in China is that "China-free living has been a hassle". It attests to the fact that China-made products have gained the acknowledgement of consumers in developed countries.

Normally, it is a personal choice whether to buy something expensive or cheap, homemade or foreign-made and no one else is qualified to criticize that. However, some countries or interest groups, proceeding from their own interests, strive to find pretexts for boycotting China-made products. Remarks such as "Chinese shoes have toxicants"; "Chinese cars fail to reach safety standards"; "Cheap Chinese goods upset the market and they are dumping at prices below the cost and should be severely sanctioned" are heard from time to time. While some people might look for a bone in an egg (searching for a fault where there is none), others are making something out of nothing and viciously slandering.

Among Chinese exports, many are products produced by foreign-funded firms or joint ventures and assembled or processed in China. While these companies take most of the profits, the "blame" is all imposed on China, which is rather unfair.

There are also some people who concentrate on criticizing China for exporting "too much" while choosing to ignore the other side of the coin. For example, how has China's exports taken the inflation pressure off the developed countries? How many benefits did they bring to foreign consumers? How much resource and energy did they save for developed countries? Chief Editor of the US News Week recently pointed out China's consumer goods have saved the US $600 billion in the last ten years. The data may be the most convincing.

The developed countries have always claimed support for "free trade" and "fair trade". However, when it comes to their own interests they are the first to violate relevant regulations of the World Trade Organization and the spirit of free trade, turning to trade protectionism. As a matter of fact, boycotting Chinese goods will not only hurt China but also the public interests of the country in question, bad for all sides. That "China-free Living Has Been A Hassle" is a clear proof.

SEATTLE (Reuters) - Lamps, birthday candles, mouse traps and flip-flops. Such is the stuff that binds the modern American family to the global economy, author Sara Bongiorni discovers during a year of boycotting anything made in China.

In "A Year Without 'Made in China,'" (Wiley, $24.95) Bongiorni tells how she and her family found that such formerly simple acts as finding new shoes, buying a birthday toy and fixing a drawer became ordeals without the Asian giant.

Bongiorni takes pains to say she does not have a protectionist agenda and, despite the occasional worry about the loss of U.S. jobs to overseas factories, she has nothing against China. Her goal was simply to make Americans aware of how deeply tied they are to the international trading system.

"I wanted our story to be a friendly, nonjudgmental look at the ways ordinary people are connected to the global economy," she said in an interview before the book appears in July.

As a business journalist in Baton Rouge, Louisiana, Bongiorni wrote about international trade for a decade. "I used to see the Commerce Department trade statistics, the billions of dollars, and think it had nothing to do with me," she said.

The reality was far different.

As the year unfolded, "the boycott made me rethink the distance between China and me. In pushing China out of our lives, I got an eye-popping view of how far China had pushed in," she wrote.

About 15 percent of the $1.7 trillion in goods the United States imported in 2006 came from China, economist Joel Naroff writes in the foreword. Much of that is the manufactured stuff that fills Wal-Mart and other retailers -- the necessities and frivolities sought by lower- and middle-income Americans.

Lower prices have been one benefit of Beijing's rise and make it very hard for consumers to forswear Chinese imports.

LEGOS, LAMPS

And hard it was.

For all of 2005, minor purchases required dogged detective work as Bongiorni scoured catalogues and read labels.

She repeatedly struck out trying to buy inexpensive shoes for her son, and even the chic local boutique that sold fancy European labels had gone out of business. So she shelled out $68 for Italian sneakers from a catalogue.

Broken appliances gathered dust because the spare parts came from China. And, with the Asian country having a near lock on the toy aisles, her 4-year-old son grew tired of taking Danish-made Legos to birthday parties as gifts.

The family resorted to snapping mouse traps when the gentler catch and release kind came from, you guessed it, China.

Bongiorni got a lesson in the global economy after products advertised as Made in USA turned out to have Chinese parts. She decided to keep a lamp with just this problem after speaking to the manufacturer and learning how China is "eating the lunch" of the few U.S lamp producers left.

Since the boycott's end, Bongiorni has chosen a middle ground. Her family seeks alternatives but accepts Chinese products when most practical. But one habit from the boycott remains: It required her to think hard about what she buys.

"Shopping became meaningful," she said.
  11. bvardi

Oddometer:
    Not sure precisely when the radiator fan kicks in - definitely not up to 1/4, somewhere between 1/3 and 1/2 - so yes I would say it is working.
  12. bond007

bond007 bond007

Oddometer:
    I told the dealer that I removed the thermostate so I could observe water flow in the radiator. With the thermostate out it will flow constantly without interuption. I was starting to diagnose the problem! And it was warm enough time of year that you did not need a thermostate on this type of simple machine anyway.
  13. bond007

bond007 bond007

Oddometer:
    I must disagree with you there a properly designed bike will never overheat! I have never had a vehicle overheat unless there was a coolant leak, water pump failure, or electric fan failure. None of those secnerios was evident>
  14. bond007

bond007 bond007

Oddometer:
    Dangerous Is right! I had a little Linhai 49cc that was so wiggly in the corners It scared the fire out of me! My wife wrecked it on a corner almost broke her hip. Her hip still hurts from time to time 2yrs.later Ithink the hospital miss a tint hair fracture. She's healing up nicely now! I was working on the little piss ant and it fell over on me, have no Idea how, and I went flying hand first toward the pavement and broke my wrist 1 It still aches! It is slowly getting better though! I've never been hurt racing Motorcross or on the pavement. But a tiny China bike fell over and busted my wrist. Funny thing I was not even riding it! Little deamon! It was!
  15. Nickp

Nickp Blingasyst

Oddometer:
    So after one bad Chinese off-brand scooter almost snapped your wife's hip and busted you up you decided to...purchase another Chinese-made off-brand scooter?
  16. bond007

bond007 bond007

Oddometer:
    Yes that is cottect sir! Of course I was swayed by a , supposed authority , on Chinese Scoots. Lee Hamilton, owner of Scootdawg.com They are a buch of dimwits over there, but I trusted all the favored reports on the Qlink Pegasus 150. Now all of those, like me, have gone on to another brand or quite altogether. Turns out Mainland China scoots are never ridden more than across town. And never very far. They make copy's of an old 80's Honda engine, refered to as the GY6. It may be a copy of a copy and so on. I have seen some pictures where the castings were not even close to lining up at the seams. I did not purchaser one of the GY6 copy's and bought from the ,supposedly, best scoot manufacturer in Mainland China. I think it will work out well, after I get a proper head gasket, and put on the Ninja 250 radiator! It runs like the devil from a backwoods preacher, until the guage starts climing towards hot. Then you got to shut er down. I am just to trusting of a person. When you are honest, you under estimate the depravity and motive's of others!:D I had my 07 Kymco Xciting 500 up to 100mph yesterday and when I got in town a cop saw me, did a U turn, and came after me! I was behavig when he saw me! So I let him follow me a little bit and turned into a gas station and lined up for gas. Copper went to the adjoining lot to gas station, watched me for a little while, and then gave up trying to catch me doing any thing wrong! I'll bet somebody called me in on their cell phone! HA HA Catch me if you can!!!:clap
  17. tortoise2

tortoise2 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
  18. bond007

bond007 bond007

Oddometer:
    Well maybe there is still hope for my Qlink Pegasus 150. It looks just like the Diamo Torino. I'm surprised the clutch held up to the punishment! You are an encouradgement to me. What engine do you have? CFMoto 152cc? and Where is the radiator located? Behind the front cowl? Any Info is helpful because I'm starting to work on the Pegasus the 25th, Lord willing. Thanks for the report. Did you have a sponser vehicle follow like from Diamo?:evil I noticed it was quite cool on the trip! I have trouble when it get's warm outside with overheating issues.:eek1
  19. bond007

bond007 bond007

Oddometer:
    Well I was encouradged about the Qlink Pegassus, that however was short lived. I just went outside, on the porch to check the cover on the Peg. It was gitting windy and another storm is coming through. So I tightened down the straps on the scoot cover and the mirror busted off. Cheap plastic crap. Chinese plastic is of very low quality. They mix a lot of parifine with it and it is brittle and as time goes by, the PLASTIC AND RUBBER PIECES SRART TO FATIGUE AND FAIL. After about a 1.5 yrs. now things are self destrucking. Oh Wonderful ! Unbelievable.
    Also the last post was done by the scooter scoop and he and scootdawg.com are buddies. Looks like they are trying to cover the tracks I make. I have to admit you almost had me. Yeah that was a good one boys. Mexico Trip. You can make anything ,look anyway you want with pics, print, TV Cameras and creative editing. I know I used to be involved in shobiz via Christian TV. Not anymore, I got sick of how it operates. The scooter scoop guy went to work for Diamo. and Scootdawg is in the pockets of Qlink. They are always advertising for them! That's ok I got a gun and I'm a good shot. The gun will be revealed soon. And I'm going to make it a new purpose in my life to warn people about China scoots. I'm going to blog and post and fight back against you turkey's. Oh the fun has only just begun. China scoots are going down! I'm gona see if Ralf Nader wants to get envolved. I do not need him anyway. I've got a lot of written word ammo for the Gun of truth! I just hate seeing other people get ripped off like I was. Im getting ready for the good fight of faith against greedy dealors and china ripoff scoots. The mark up on these scoots is unbeleavable! Divide the list price by 4 and that is apx what the dealors pay for them! GREED IS THEIR MOTIVE!:eek1