Yellowknife ice trucking

Discussion in 'Shiny Things' started by squonker, Sep 18, 2007.

1. Unique458

Unique458 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Boy oh boy , one trip and the stories I have already. I love it out here, I like hauling the fuel , easy on easy off, it's a bit of a learning curve for me as I've never done it before but good.
    It's damn cold up here -40 and nothing really wants to work at these temps.
    Gotta go to bed trip 2 early morning.
  2. squonker

squonker Stupid is the new norm

Oddometer:
    Excellent! :clap Glad that you like it, I look forward to hearing your stories (and your impressions of Diavik!!)

Keep on truckin'!!
  3. tmk

tmk Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Squonker ....Sorry to hear that you are not on the Tibbitt to Contwoyto this season . Unique 458, Would you be driving for Ron Hamilton by chance ? Good luck , and enjoy your season up there . Thanks for keeping us posted and look forward to your future posts .
  4. gsd4me

gsd4me 90% bluff

Oddometer:
    Pics, we need pics.
  5. ChazCable

ChazCable Mechanic

Oddometer:
    sories, we also need stories
  6. gsd4me

gsd4me 90% bluff

Oddometer:
    A picture is worth a thousand words. :D
  7. Unique458

Oddometer:
    2 trips 3 breakdowns , you sure you miss it ?
    Not fun repairing a truck at 3 am in - 40

On my way back from Diavik yesterday, some drivers were saying that earlier in the week BHP recorded a temp of -49 and -70 windchill. Glad I was in YK at the time, It's all my truck can do to stay warm at -40
    Imagine -50-70
    See you later got to go load my trailer
  8. ChazCable

ChazCable Mechanic

Oddometer:
    Any major problem?
    Hopefully your luck will turn around for ya bud, keep the greasy side down and us updated
  9. squonker

Oddometer:
    Thanks for checking in Unique. Sounds like you're having an adventure...!

:lurk
  10. Pro Mover

Pro Mover Truck Pilot

Oddometer:
    Nothing too serious, I hope? Was it power trouble, or issues with your trailer(s)??

Details, pictures .... show us the BROKEN stuff! ;-)

Oh and above all STAY SAFE!!
  11. Hardware02

Hardware02 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Stupid question time...

From watching Ice Road Truckers and from this thread, I get the sense that break downs are more common than down south.

How much of this is due to the extreme conditions and how much because companies are running old, worn out rigs?

Also...many of the trucks seem to be standard highway tractors. Wouldn't it make sense to invest in new(er) extreme duty trucks, say with power also going to the front axle and also invest in figuring out a way to effectively winterize them?

Wouldn't that mean more money in the long run because they can run more consistently during drops in the temp and also degraded conditions?
  12. troidus

troidus Long timer

Oddometer:
    The ice roads are open for what, 3-4 months? What do you do with winter-designed trucks for the rest of the year? A driven steer axle will kill fuel economy, and if they're designed to retain heat, they'll have trouble shedding it in warm weather.

Run synthetic fluids and grease, keep water out of the fuel and air lines, and don't do anything stupid and they should be OK with normal equipment. It's not like they're doing a rough-country crossing of Siberia. And shit breaks on road tractors even in good conditions.
  13. barnyard

barnyard Verbal tactician Super Moderator

Oddometer:
    Even well-maintained equipment breaks down when it is nice out. The cold just magnifies it.
  14. Hardware02

Hardware02 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Good points. I didn't know so I asked.

I see the point on the driven steer axle. As for heat retention, I was thinking mods that could be added/deleted in a few hours, leaving the rig good to go for the warm(er) months.
  15. squonker

Oddometer:
    I think that basically no-one has yet come up with a better idea than the belly tarp. It hardly makes much difference to heat, but then there isn't much need anyway. If you put something thick enough infront of your radiator you'll keep the engine warm and as long as you're moving the tranny and diff oils will be warm, too. As for the interior, good door and window seals would be the first thing I'd take care of but I always have a few extra clothes within reach from the driver's seat!

The best advice I can give about heat from my experience up there is that if you want to stay warm in your truck, don't drive a Freightliner!!:lol3
  16. troidus

troidus Long timer

Oddometer:
    Too bad it's not really practical to spray a case of Great Stuff spray foam in all the voids in the cab. Maybe wear a Roadcrafter with full Gerbings beneath and hope the lighter plug holds up. :lol3
  17. squonker

Oddometer:
    You know, electric gear is almost worth a try. Even just a vest might make a difference. I quite like that idea!
  18. troidus

troidus Long timer

Oddometer:
    I'd have to start with electric socks. My extremities get very cold very quickly when the temperature drops, and warming the core doesn't change that.
  19. ChazCable

ChazCable Mechanic

Oddometer:
    Dad got a pair of electric boots he plugs into the ciggarette lighter in the service truck when he has to run up the winter road
  20. Unique458

Oddometer:
    Sitting here at camp, only leaving at 1 pm for the ice road, so i,am gonna try to e-mail myself some pics, then use my laptop to show some pics.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]