HD question

Discussion in 'Road Warriors' started by Deans BMW, Jan 30, 2013.

1. Deans BMW

Deans BMW Granpa Hoon

Oddometer:
    My BIL has a '06 EG Classic, lives in East Texas and I have ridden it a lot in all those East Texas back roads. I have to confess that it was the most comfortable bike I have ever ridden.....but I always got the feeling of vagueness starting around 80-85 on those two lane paved back roads. The question is, re the new '13 EG Classic with the new frame, 6 speed tranny and 103 motor and I think, better brakes.

How do they compare??? Has that vagueness either disapeared or pushed to a higher speed?

What are the thoughts on the new HS's with the new frame, 6 spd and the 103?
  2. Murf2

Murf2 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Yes the handle much better! Sounds like you'd like one to me.

Murf2
  3. NonDairyCreamer

NonDairyCreamer incomprehensible

Oddometer:
    Night and day difference with the new chassis. But the pre '09 models can be improved with a Tru-Track or other brand stabilizer which limits the side to side motion of the power unit when cornering in long sweepers. Easy to install. The motor, primary and trans float on rubber mounts but as a unit are connected to the swingarm and that creates the problem.

And depending on the miles of the unit you rode, replacing the motor mounts (usually the front one) and the swingarm rubber isolaters with better ones, will also help handling. All of these items are easy to install but alignment should be checked when changing any of these, also easy to do.
  4. Cakeeater

Cakeeater Long timer

Oddometer:
    Vagueness is gone. I run my '11 road glide ultra often at 100 mph-plus when I'm in the middle of nowhere, which I often am.

It tracks solid, and true.

Even at top speed (110-115ish) it's steady. The chassis could handle much more motor.

Now, at harder corning at higher speeds (80-85) my bike will start to give a litttle gentle weave on bumps. Nothing frightening, just a hand on my shoulder saying "son, that's enough".

For example, a few months ago I went both ways on I-80 east of salt lake city...sort of a high speed set of turns going up (or down) the mountain. Traffic was moving out both times, and I was in the fast lane, but at 85 mph I wasn't wanting to go any faster down the mountain.

Cakeeater
  5. boatpuller

boatpuller Long timer

Oddometer:
    Yes to what the above have said. In addition, the '06 might need the steering head bearings re-tightened, and maybe the front shock oil freshened up. Both can contribute to the feel at speed you reported. But, in general, the new frame is wonderful! Keep in mind the touring frame is not designed to be a Porsche, and will probably never have the trackability of an FJR or an LT over 100 MPH. But for reasonable speeds, it's a wonderfully comfortable motorcycle.

Sounds like you have a BMW, which is a nice motorcycle. So, thank you for your objectivity about HD's.
  6. EricD10563

EricD10563 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I've rode pre 09 Harley tourers before buying my first one and it felt like the front end and back end were not connected on the earlier models. The last one I rode was a loaner a 08 and I purposely took the same road to and from the shop to compare my 09 to the 08 and immediately I could feel the difference. The newer frame just felt tighter, sure footed and offered more feed back to the rider. I also noticed that I was scraping the road on the older model, I assume the lean angle in greater on the newer frame. There still is some "bagger wobble" on the new frame when pushed and I've experinced that on both Harley's that I've owed, usually occurs in high speed sweepers. The new frame is a vast improvement over the old frame IMHO.
  7. DAKEZ

DAKEZ Long timer

Oddometer:
    Do yourself a favor and ride the FLTRU Road Glide Ultra (with the Shark nose) before you buy. It has ABS & Security standard and provides a MUCH better Air pocket than the Bat Wing on the Ultra.

In both Head Winds and Side Winds it is a MUCH better riding bike.

The new Frame allows 1 degree left and 2 degrees right more lean than the 2008 and older bikes.

[​IMG]
  8. Cakeeater

Cakeeater Long timer

Oddometer:
    Good looking bike! :D

Yes, as Dakez says. I tried all the HD touring models and immediately knew the Road Glide Ultra was for me. I put an aftermarket windshield on it (windvest) that lowers buffetting with a FF helmet. Terrific road bike.

Cakeeater
  9. jon_l

jon_l Long timer

Oddometer:
    I have sat on, but not ridden these yet. On paper the Road Glide and Road King are my favorites. I don't want music, CB, etc. I do want ABS and cruise control.

I was surprised at how small / tight the Road Glide felt sitting on it. The Road King felt roomier, and of course it is lighter, cheaper, and converts to a cruiser easily.

I am 5'11" and 225 lbs, with 30" inseam (short legs).

I'd appreciate feedback on "roominess".
  10. EricD10563

EricD10563 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I had the 96ci and now have the 103ci motor on my 2011 EG Limited and it's a nice improvement, I down shift less and it pulls harder in higher RPM's. Like my previous bike I will do a Stage One to the bike and I assume it will wake up the new motor like the old one, I still think the 103ci pulls better than my 96ci that had a stage one. I think Brembo brakes became standard in 2008 and I have no complaints with the brakes at all, the rear foot pedal takes some getting used to but it's not an issue for me, used mainly to skim some speed off or coming to a light. I like the ABS but have no experince with other makers, it would engage to early on my other bike but there was a dealer download that corrected that issue for the most part and I've not felt ABS kick in on my new bike at all yet.
  11. Deans BMW

Deans BMW Granpa Hoon

Oddometer:
    Answering boatpullers question, yes I have several BMW's, currently a R1200S, a '10 R1200GS, a '74 R75/6, just sold my K1600GT. Also a new Husky 650 Strada.

I'll be .....hard to even think about it...:huh....70 in March and am considering slowing down, been riding since the late '50's..........:eek1. To my eyes, the Road King or the Electra Glide Classic are the only HD's I'd want and for the very shallow reason of...They look like I remember they should look. I have been a sport/touring rider for ever and am planning to slow down.......I hope.

Flipping the coin as many times as I have, one of these days it will turn up tails.
  12. boatpuller

boatpuller Long timer

Oddometer:
    The only things that should contribute to "roominess" would be the seat, the handlebars, and the feeling of claustrophobia or openness due to the farings and windshield. The frame is the same, and the seats are all interchangeable as are most of the handlebars. Some have lower shocks than others, but I would not think that'd be a factor in "roominess".
  13. Cakeeater

Cakeeater Long timer

Oddometer:
    I've ridden far less than you...but that's a big reason I ride HD now. I tested a K1600GT. Loved it, but I'd go too fast on it, too often. I already ride my Road Glide faster than my wife likes....or knows about :1drink

Cakeeater
  14. Deans BMW

Deans BMW Granpa Hoon

Oddometer:
    Can't tell you how much I appreciate these grown up answers, thanks guys, I have no interest in the "Pirate" look or wanabe Bad guy sillyness.

Bike is very comfortable and still has that classic look and feeling, but without the classic issues.
  15. royal

royal Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I thought I'd chime in here. I've had two BMW's (LT1200 and and RT1200), and most recently a 2010 Kawasaki Concours. I wanted to have a bike with the classic looks of a what I think a motorcycle should look like AND be comfortable for longer trips. So, I traded my Kawasaki in on a 2012 Electra Glide Classic.

Absolutely couldn't be happier. It's put the fun back in riding again. Comfortable, fun and looks just right. One of those kinds of bikes that after you park it and are walking away, you turn back just to look at it again. 10,000 miles on her and nary a problem. I consider myself lucky to have finally found the right bike for me.
  16. Anorak

Anorak Woolf Barnato Supporter

Oddometer:
    I'm saving up for a Street Glide. I rented a 2010 for a weekend. I loved it. The dealer probably has a rental fleet.
    Why did you sell the 1600? That sounds like a pretty nice bike.
  17. BCC

BCC I know better

Oddometer:
    I've had 7 or 8 bmw's in recent years as well as KTM & Ducati. I've got a '12 EG ultra ltd now. It'll do sweepers at a buck, easy, stable and comfortable. No sway. Handles low speed maneuvering fine, as long as I'm not pushing it around the garage.:lol3

It's a quality bike. I've been surprised just how much I like riding it, since my previous rides have all been sport bike, sport tourer, dual sport and adventure.

I don't dress like a pirate either and no one cares.

[​IMG]
  18. 0ldhippie

0ldhippie Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    The new frame is much better but by no means is the "vagueness" gone altogether. I'm not sure I'm gonna put a "third link" on '09, like I have on my others, because it isn't bad enough. Ya really need to rent and ride one a few days/miles. I do agree the road glide is the best riding tourer.
  19. GAS GUY

GAS GUY MILE EATER

Oddometer:
    I disagree about the Road glide.
    I put 40,000 miles on a 2003 ultra classic and then bought a brand new 2008 road glide and the bike was excellant except for the air management.I tried every windshield combo possible on that bike and always had very noisy air and buffeting.

I figure it is because the fairing is so far forward and I am 6'1 with a 32" inseam, so I am torso tall and sit tall in the saddle.
  20. milo

milo Long timer

Oddometer:
    I never cared for the Road Glide with it's fairing way out in front and the buffeting from being located so. Looks like HD is discontinuing the Road Glide, it's not being offered for model year 2014. Prolly going to redesign it and bring it back with the rumored liquid cooled engine later in 2014, or for 2015.