Tent, Sleeping Bag & Compact Air Mattress Advice

Discussion in 'Trip Planning' started by twr1776, Feb 24, 2014.

1. twr1776

twr1776 "Mr Awesome"

Oddometer:
    I am planning on a solo trip out west this year to check out some of the National Parks. I am going to be on a KLR and plan on camping in the parks some of the time. Any recommends on a compact tent, sleeping bag, and air mattress or sleeping pad for under the sleeping bag? Thanks
  2. St_rydr

St_rydr #livelikerob

Oddometer:
    Big Agnes

I really think their sleeping bags/pads are top notch.
    Tent I would either go cheap or go with REI as their warranty/return policy and available stores makes sense.
  3. Cannonshot

Cannonshot Having a Nice Time Administrator Super Moderator

Oddometer:
    +1 on Big Agnes bag and pad combo. I use an REI tent as well.
  4. Ironheadziggy76

Ironheadziggy76 What the hell?

Oddometer:
    I have a Mountain Hardware brand three person tent that I've been using since 2008, it's been well used and continues to stay water tight. It's been from Georgia to Alaska in it's life, all on the back of a motorcycle. My advise would be to spend a little extra to get a better quality tent as this will be your home while traveling. www.rei.com has good "house brand" tents at decent prices, and they are a good product with an excellent warranty should something happen. Feel free to send me a PM with any questions you might have as far as camping off the back of a bike, I'm no expert, but I really enjoy it! :lol3

I'm also a member over at www.motocampers.com They're a great bunch of folks on there that are willing to share their experiences. They have been over run by threads on pop up campers lately, but most of us there still camp with tents.
  5. Eyes Shut

Eyes Shut See no evil Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    Not related at all to your question, but be sure to buy a National Parks Pass before you leave on your trip. It will allow free entrance into all national parks and any other federal lands that have an entrance fee. (It doesn't give you a discount on campgrounds, though.)

http://www.nps.gov/findapark/passes.htm
  6. larryboy

larryboy Just obey!

Oddometer:
    Big Agnes mattress for me, standard bag, I toss and turn, don't like the Agnes bag. I carry a compressor too, I used to sit there in the dirt and blow the thing up, but it takes too much effort after a long day.

I just got the new Camp Dome 2 from REI to replace a worn out Half Dome, it's half the price and packs smaller.

[​IMG]
  7. Yankee Dog

Yankee Dog Long timer

Oddometer:
    1 - Big agnes sleeping system (bag and mattress).
    2 - 8x10 silnylon tarp.
    3 - bug hut.

doesnt get any more compact
  8. Strong Bad

Strong Bad Former World's Foremost Authority

Oddometer:
  9. One Less Harley

One Less Harley OH.THAT'S GONNA HURT

Oddometer:
    Big Anges, Seadhouse 2 tent, BA bag and pad.

The Seedhouse 2 packs up very small and is free standing which is nice. 2 man tent which has enough room for one and gear. For two people it would be tight.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  10. twr1776

twr1776 "Mr Awesome"

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the replies.

I was already on the National Parks site and will purchase the pass before the trip.
  11. rescueMAN

rescueMAN Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    consider a tent with small "porch" on front, if its rained in the day keeps your damp riding gear out of main tent, and hung up can hopefully help dry over night
  12. Bodwick

Bodwick Ultracrepidarian

Oddometer:
    I'd recommend a two man tent rather than going for a one man. The extra space can be priceless in bad weather and for safe storage at night.

I've used a North Face Mountain 24 (discontinued) for years and it's proved bomb proof. Split into two good compression sacks with poles in a fly rod tube.

Not my pic but shows the inner tent without the outer cover and with the doors open exposing the fly screens.
    [​IMG]

The Mountain 25 seems to be the replacement but it's expensive. I see you own a KLR.:evil A tarp sheet will work...:D

If you plan on going further and extending your range then buy a better tent now rather than having to upgrade later.

:freaky
  13. KustomizingKid

KustomizingKid Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Love my Big Agnes system bag... I have the 15 degree bag and insulated air core pad. Used it in temps from 15-65 degrees and it's very flexible temp wise.
  14. Scram-man

Scram-man n00b

Oddometer:
    All great suggestions so far. I use an exped down mat 9, it's by far the most comfortable mat I've ever used. It's very warm and allows me to pack a lighter sleeping bag. My bag is a yeti passion 3 down bag, which is great for all but the coldest nights in winter.

I'm a big fan of hilleberg (I think there's a thread on adv about them) I have a soulo which is great for just me or a nallo if I'm sharing.

The whole lot is pretty lightweight, about 3.5 kg or 8lbs.
  15. Bodwick

Bodwick Ultracrepidarian

Oddometer:
    I forgot to add a mattress...

I go with a 3/4 length Thermarest.

The top one is the 3/4...
    [​IMG]

No idea what bag to suggest. At the moment I've an Army one that's great. I go through them quite quickly.

:freaky
  16. Road Hound

Road Hound Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I use a Big Agnes Lost Ranger 15 degree semi rectangular bag, with an Exped downmat 7. It's by far the best sleeping I've ever had. The mat has a built in pump and the down provides great insulation. I'm a big fan of REI tents, been using the half dome 2 for several years and it's been a wonderful tent. Good Luck with your choice and have a great trip, the west is amazing.
  17. AteamNM

AteamNM Wonna Be ADVrider Supporter

Oddometer:
    I have a 2 man Kelty, bought off the ADV flea market. Does a great job, I have a Big Agnes air pad and 25 year old North Face Blue Kazoo down bag.

[​IMG]
  18. Dark Helmet

Dark Helmet Go to ludicrous speed!

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]

+1 on the REI Halfdome. I use a Big Agnes air pad that works great and packs small and a Mountain Hardware 35 degree bag. This will be my kit for the TAT this year.

I can fit the tent, sleeping bag, pad, water bag, cooking kit and Kermit chair plus some odds and ends in a large Ortlieb bag on the top rack. Kermit won't go on the TAT though. Have a three legged stool that packs much smaller for that.

DH
  19. terrapinneck

terrapinneck Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Preparing for a trip this summer. I bought the Marmot Limelight 3 person tent on sale for 200 bucks from REI. From the time it was delivered by UPS I had it set up in our den in 5 minutes. EASY. Still researching bags, but I'm leaning heavily toward the Big Agnes Whisky Park, which is big enough that I can move around in, coupled with Big Agnes Q Core pad. On the tents and bags YouTube is a pretty good place to review your selections.
  20. Herky

Herky Frosty Adventurer

Oddometer:
    On a long winding road which started in Iowa
    Tents:
    I've got a 2 man Kelty just like AteamNM a few posts up. Plenty of room for gear on the inside, plus with the rainfly up there is a covered area outside the tent for muddy boots, etc. Look for backpacking tents as they'll take up the least amount of room in your gear and are relatively lightweight.

Bags:
    Get something rated for at at least 10 degrees colder than the coldest night you'd expect. You can always open up the bag or tent if you get too hot. I've had a Kelty 3 season mummy rated for 25 degrees for about 8 years now, and it's been great for anything above freezing.

Pads:
    I've always used Thermarest self-inflating pads. They can be a little pricey (~$100), but they pack up extremely small and do a pretty good job of cushioning uneven ground. There are cheaper alternatives but they are going to take up a lot more space.