Most Comfortable Bike

Discussion in 'Road Warriors' started by mrbreeze, Dec 6, 2012.

1. mrbreeze

mrbreeze I keep blowing down the road

Oddometer:
    OK this is a spin off from the "most comfortable bike you never rode" thread - since it seems a lot of people want to talk about the ones they have ridden, I figured a new thread may be in order.

Anyway, the most comfortable bike I have ever ridden -

hard to say. I did a 904 mile day on my DL1000 with a gel seat and Cee Bailey's w/s. That's my longest day ever in the saddle.

I owned a Suzuki GS650G back when I was young and hard all over, and did a few 700+ mile days on that one, I remember it fondly, and it was completely stock except for a fork mounted w/s and some hiway pegs.

I also owned a GSX1100G with a Corbin and the same w/s that came off the 650. It did pretty well. It also had hw pegs.

I haven't had an opportunity to do a long day on my Nomad yet, but I suspect it will perform very well in the comfort category. It's addictive.
  2. Unleaded

Unleaded Unit Train

Oddometer:
    For me it was the 1200GSA. Whenever I'm slabbing it, I miss that thing terribly. Everywhere else, though, little too much of a good thing for my riding. I was also surprised at the comfort level aboard 2010 HD Road Glide I secured for a ride not long ago. If I could afford multiple bikes, including one specializing in long-haul touring, I'd have another look at that one.
  3. L.B.S.

L.B.S. Long timer

Oddometer:
    I grew up with the early 80's GS1100G's being held in the highest esteem for true comfy sport touring excellence by just about every single last Journalist who wrote about them. Was never able to try one myself, alas. The closest I got to a Zook 1100G was my '82 1100 Katana :lol3

My buddy's '81 CB900F with superbike bars was pretty darned comfy, but it stretched me and my little T-Rex arm length a bit too much for reach, over that loooong tank.

For me, my #1 top most awesome and comfortable bike, will always be my 1982 CX500Turbo. It was tailor made just for me, using my exact measurements, apparently.:ricky

The only things I found a little off were the lack of a sixth gear, or at least a taller 5th. The NA models had a shorter ratio than the Euro models, and 5th was just a little buzzy for my liking at 65-70 mph. The other thing was the strange aero effects of the windshield. When it rained, you could watch droplets of water form on the top upright trailing edge, and then hover, suspended in mid air, gently bobbing up and down, side to side like magic. It was rather mesmerizing to watch :uhoh

In non rainy rides, if you sat too far forward, this same aero effect would cause a stong push on the back of your helmet. Sitting "normally" though, and it was just right. No buffeting or anything. Way better than my '09 F800ST was, anyway.
  4. Wolfgang55

Wolfgang55 Long timer

Oddometer:
    GS850-1981, stock seat.........entire scoot was still the best, yes, even better than my 09 GS
  5. hugemoth

hugemoth Bad Motorscooter

Oddometer:
    I've owned a lot of bikes over the last 45 years but the old GL500 is the most comfortable street bike I've owned. Standard riding position, good seat, large fairing, not too heavy, not too wide, vibrates just enough to feel like a motorcycle, quiet but pleasant exhaust note, neutral handling, good cornering clearance. Just an all around pleasant everyday bike.

I used to think a Goldwing would be the most comfortable but it was too wide, the valve covers were in the way of where I wanted to put my feet. The seat was too low and too far forward. It was cumbersome around town.

Tried a couple different cruiser style bikes and found them very uncomfortable. Same goes for sport bikes. My little dual sport bike is pretty good though.
  6. Mobiker

Mobiker Long timer

Oddometer:
    My longest day in the saddle was a little over 700 miles. I did it on a HD FXRP while it still had the sprung cop saddle on it. I was tired, but not sore. Truly a comfortable ride.

I've done several 500-600 mile days on my R100GS with a Russell Daylong on it.

These two are the most comfortable bikes I've ever ridden by a wide margin .
  7. EetsOK

EetsOK Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    So here's a silly question:
    Where has the sprung saddle gone? HD offered up tot he late 70's (or ealry 80's?) on their FL touring rigs. Police bikes still ahve them and I assume it is becasue they work. Yet, I don't recall ANY of the long haul toruing rigs having this as an option. The only bike that I can think of is the HD Crossbones and it is simply a styling thing for that bike.

I wonder why that is?
  8. concours

concours WFO for 50 years

Oddometer:
    It's all gone... because the marketing department INSISTS that 27" seat heights are what the people who watch American Chopper DEMAND when buying! :lol3

Myself, I pine for the sprung "sofa seat" on the FLH's of yesteryear.
    [​IMG]

My 1980 XS1100 took me around the US twice in rubber mounted comfort, 765 biggest day. My current Royal Barge Tour DeLuxe with a Russell DayLong is endless... as long as you care to ride, in air suspended comfort.
  9. EetsOK

EetsOK Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    These marketing departments do they ever talk to people who, you know, BUY the products?

Longest day time wise was 17 hours ona Sporty.
    Longest day mile waise was just over 600 miles on a Triumph. The Triumph didn't hurt the Sporty was agony which is why after 17 hours I still hadn't broken the 600 I did on my Triumph. The Sporty's biggest drawback was vibes, and foot peg placement. I faired better once I put passenger pegs on the Sporty so I could put my feet back and get eh weight off my spine.
  10. norseXL

norseXL Northman

Oddometer:
    R1200GS I must say,
    I was so lucky to get to ride it on the introduction in South Africa.

Unfortunately I had some lower back prolapse problems then and the flight down there was painfull, but as soon I got on the bike I was fine for the whole day of riding.
  11. marksbonneville

marksbonneville Long timer

Oddometer:
    My 1992 FXRP with 4" springs on the police seat (32" seat height) is the most comfortable bike I have ever owned or ridden in years.

[​IMG]
  12. davevv

davevv One more old rider

Oddometer:
    2001 Road King Police was the best for me. Perfect fit and I could ride it all day for days on end with no pain anywhere. 2007 Buell Ulysses was a close second. My Electra Glide will get pretty close after I change the bars.

[​IMG]
  13. brentde3

brentde3 Should be outside

Oddometer:
    My longest day was a Saddlesore run on a 98 VFR800. It had a Sargent seat (which I actually didn't like that much). 1,002 miles from Lafayette, LA to Las Cruces, NM. I had put on a peg lowering kit and the PO installed Heli-bars. It still leaned forward quite a bit. I was able to rest on my tankbag. All in all it was pretty damn comfy.

The next most comfortable was a 99 Bandit 600. Little more upright. I've never given too much thought to comfort. In my mind, bikes are supposed to hurt a little bit.
  14. 30Bones

30Bones Long timer

Oddometer:
    Honestly, my 06 Sprint fit me perfect box stock, odd that a similar VFR800 was unbearable with a fancy seat and cruise control. I think I am just a few years older now :dunno

850 miles in 24 hours, 3000 miles in 7 days. I miss that bike sometimes.
  15. The PacRat

The PacRat I'm that other guy

Oddometer:
    Most comfortable for me out of the bikes I've owned was the PC800 / Pacific Coast. Excellent cult bike.
  16. BCC

BCC I know better

Oddometer:
    Geezerglide.

[​IMG]
  17. MutatedRock

MutatedRock Subscribed to Issues

Oddometer:
    Victory vision with leather sergeant seat as a borrow is great in town. My st1300 for distance.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2
  18. stoney4vida

stoney4vida Semper Fidelis

Oddometer:
    By far my 2004 Harley road glide with corbin seat and Klock works windshield. I have done numerous 800 - 900 mile days and 5000 miles in 10 days and still felt pretty damn good.
  19. Steve G.

Steve G. Long timer

Oddometer:

You are correct. The early 1980's GS 850, GS 1000 and GS 1100 Suzukis arguably remain the best original seats delivered on a new bike. Wide, long, firm,,,don't know why so many manufactures can't figure this out??
    Oh right, it's about the look, not the function,,,,,,:lol3
  20. Crocodile Tears

Crocodile Tears Powerful Truth Angels Supporter

Oddometer:
    I have done a few 600 mile days (and by day I mean leave work at 5pm in Toledo and ride straight through til 2am to Houghton MI) on my Bandit 1200S and I am usually still ready for more. The only real touring upgrade is a zero gravity windscreen. When I first got it I felt like it was a bit big but learned to appreciate the size. I may try a different set of bars next summer.

I suppose when you have to fuel up ever 130 miles it does help with avoiding cramps when slabbing it.