I'd like to hire someone to rewire my off road Ural.

Discussion in 'Pacific Northwet - Where it's green. And wet.' started by Mr. Cob, Dec 16, 2012.

1. Mr. Cob

Mr. Cob Howling "Mad", Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Howdy All,

I am looking to hire someone who is knowledgeable of motorcycle wiring to do a complete but VERY SIMPLE rewiring job on my off road Ural. What I am looking for is SIMPLE, I want to eliminate ANYTHING that is not NEEDED. I don't have any turn signals for example. I would prefer its someone close to me as I would like to work with and hopefully learn from the person who does the work so if I had trouble down the road with anything wire connected I'll understand what was done and where to look to repair it.

I live about 50 miles northeast of Seattle, I can drive the rig to whoever may be interested in doing this so they can see what they will be working with. I can leave the rig at the place its being worked on until its done. Contact me if your interested in helping with this ongoing project. THANKS.
  2. shinysideup

shinysideup Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    What else are you looking to eliminate? You essentially have a lighting coil, (or alternator and dc regulator more likely on the Ural), light switch, high and low beam, turn signals and horn, and any extras: heated grips, power outlet, marker lights, charging port, GPS hardwired, etc.

I would recommend unplugging them and leaving them in the harness for future resale / return to stock, or extra wiring in the event you need it for a future trail side repair. Unless your wiring is bad already; opening, shorting, intermittent, etc. If that is the case call me and we can discuss.

Mark 503-805-8378

3. Levka

Levka n00b

Oddometer:
    Repair of your motorcycle it not problem. Because it is no more difficult AK 47 =) for troubleshooting in electricity are necessary two wires and one bulb . And for repair- a knife a piece of a wire and a sticky tape. If there are any specific questions and there is a desire to understand most, can help. Excuse for my English =)
  4. Mr. Cob

Oddometer:
    Howdy Levka,

Thanks for your reply to my thread, I could muddle through this myself but I want it done properly with good wires and quick disconnect couplings done by someone who knows what their doing. Thanks for your offer to help explain things, your English is fine and MUCH better then my understanding or ability to speak anything other then my native tongue.
  5. (sp?)

(sp?) flaming ahole ;)

Oddometer:
    while I have the expertise, I lack the time or space to tackle this. what Mark suggests above is spot on. take inventory of your current wiring and figure out what doesn't work. that will help you determine the scope of the project.

if you really want a custom wiring loom, I'd suggest finding an aftermarket company who specializes in automotive wiring. something designed for street rods, etc. should have enough conductors, capacity and flexibility to meet your needs. I've heard that such looms are even reasonably priced when compared to OEM.

Steve
  6. Mr. Cob

Oddometer:
    Howdy Steve,

If I bought a custom wire loom it would have many things I didn't need and not have some things I want. I am looking to have someone who knows what their doing start from scratch and built what is needed and no more, I am willing to pay a reasonable price to have it done.
  7. kwisn

kwisn One Happy Dog Supporter

Oddometer:
    See Brian Billings at BBRP in B'Ham.
    <TABLE border=0 cellSpacing=2 cellPadding=2 width="100%"><TBODY><TR><TD width="32%" align=left>Dealer Name:</TD><TD width="68%" align=left>Brian Billings Racing Products</TD></TR><TR><TD width="32%" align=left>Address:</TD><TD width="68%" align=left>919 North State St.</TD></TR><TR><TD width="32%" align=left>City:</TD><TD width="68%" align=left>Bellingham</TD></TR><TR><TD width="32%" align=left>State:</TD><TD width="68%" align=left>Washington</TD></TR><TR><TD width="32%" align=left>Postal Code:</TD><TD width="68%" align=left>98225</TD></TR><TR><TD width="32%" align=left>Country:</TD><TD width="68%" align=left>United States</TD></TR><TR><TD width="32%" align=left>Phone:</TD><TD width="68%" align=left>360-734-3929</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>
  8. Mr. Cob

Oddometer:
    Howdy Kieth,

THANKS, I gave them a call, the plan is to stop at their shop this coming Wednesday, let them take a look and see if they even want to deal with it. THANKS again for the tip.
  9. wachs

wachs just passin' through

Oddometer:
    Don't call this guy - :lol3

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Yesterday @ 7:am it was 15 degrees or so :clap
  10. Levka

Levka n00b

Oddometer:
    oppozit.ru/article70270.html And don't call to this guy, it only will help to break. =))))))
  11. (sp?)

(sp?) flaming ahole ;)

Oddometer:
    a loom for a hot rod would have little of this, which is why I mentioned it. what it would have is new, waterproof connectors and proper wiring.

for example http://www.summitracing.com/parts/prf-10102/overview/

the extra circuits can either be removed or repurposed. I'd vote for the latter.
  12. Maxacceleration

Maxacceleration Off the grid

Oddometer:
    Give Robert Kelii a try. He lives in Kingston.
    He can do it factory in every way except it will be custom.
    Robert does show winning work and has done some nice work for me.
    My CR550F is on his site. :evil He is reasonable. Sometimes busy.

http://robertkelii.com/
  13. Apple Jam

Apple Jam Ride Oregon First

Oddometer:
    Did a little Googling on your CR550F, Max..... perty f'n cool, buddy!!
  14. Ratty2austin

Ratty2austin commutercycle

Oddometer:
    Hey Dave! :wave

If you still need wire/electronic help, I would be up for the job :D

after all, electronics has been my hobby and school subject for years now :deal (and part of my new job, too!)

and I could make it super simple, and even make up a little instruction sheet "Simplified URAL wiring for dummys" cheat sheet if you needed to :evil

Anyway, take care! Shoot me a message if you are interested.
  15. Mr. Cob

Oddometer:
    Howdy Austin,

PM, sent. Thanks for the offer.