New seat for a Ural Tub

Discussion in 'Hacks' started by Melrone, Nov 30, 2011.

1. Melrone

Melrone Long timer

Oddometer:
    I'm asking for some help from you Ural owners.I need to replace the seat in my tub.The stock seat is junk,my wife has some major back issues.So heres what I'm wondering is there a car seat that will work or will that shitty platform is good enough to have one built.Lets see them..Need some ideas
  2. Tarka

Tarka Strangely strange. Oddly normal.

Oddometer:
    Not tried any car seats although one could be fitted,I`m sure.

The stock seat pads just pull out without any tools needed.
    There should be a pull loop at the back of the base pad,tucked in just under the bottom of the back pad....pull this loop to dislodge the rear of the base pad and then pivot the pad forwards and upwards to let the metal tang come out of the hole in the sidecar floor.
    Then push the back pad down to let the two metal prongs clear the inner flange of the sidecar body and remove the back pad.

You`ve then got a clear view of the area available for a car seat which you can measure up.

Only this last weekend,my girlfriend and I removed the seat pads from my 650 because it was feeling more 'squashy' and less supportive than my 750 (which is 4 years younger anyway).
    We found that the thin wooden base of the base pad had rotten with damp so we stripped the cover and foam off....I then made a new base panel from thicker wood and she remade the seats with new covers.
    The foam on mine was okay,so we re-used it.....but a firmer or more supportive seat could be made by using high density foam or by sending the stock units to an upholsterer/bike seat maker to get same size pads which refit easily but with custom padding on them.
  3. usgser

usgser Long timer

Oddometer:
    On the Soviet Steeds forum a member Rich Maund makes custom hack seats for Urals. He also makes a custom tonneau cover that will fit over the higher back of the custom seat. He's got a good reputation for quality work, it'd be worth checking him out.
  4. Melrone

Melrone Long timer

Oddometer:
    I've had the stock seat out once,but what I'm kind of looking for is a automive seat with lumbar support that will fit.Its a good winter project..Wifes back is a mess so this is a priority..We want to ride to the RA Rally in Colorado.
  5. jaydmc

jaydmc Long timer

Oddometer:
    I have looked into this and was not able to find any automotive seats that were not to wide to fit in the body.
    The current Ural seats are not all that bad, Early ones suck! they were stuffed with raw cotton over springs if you have an early one just going to a current one would help. The "deluxe" seat Ural has I found it to be not as good to sit on then the stock Ural seat.
    It might be possible to mount an automotive seat in our M72DX body being 4 inches wider. We have not looked into it as we make our own seats.
    Jay G
    DMC sidecars
    www.dmcsidecars.com
    866-638-1793
  6. Farmer1949

Farmer1949 Out standing in his field

Oddometer:
    Hannigan puts a seat in their cars that is an auto style bucket seat. It reclines, can have a head rest, the top folds down and it slides on two rails. Might be worth a look. The one I have, in a Hannigan Classic, has no lumbar support but maybe it is possible to add it?

Just a thought.
  7. Sidecardoug

Sidecardoug Pleasantly pleasing

Oddometer:
    I have one of Rich's seats in my hack and the monkeys like it. It's heated too

Rich Maund is a great guy and does a lot of Ural work
  8. Melrone

Melrone Long timer

Oddometer:
    Well I got really do something right.Wife went to the doctor yesterday after the MRI and its not good,he said she's not suppose to ride.But being the typical Jewish momma she is, she the dotor she'll quit when shes dead..Now the GSA/Ural has new Works suspenion the ride is smooth.its time to get serious.I'll do some measuring for a junk yard seat and call a couple of seat makers to see what to do.I'm up for ideals......
  9. Melrone

Melrone Long timer

Oddometer:
    Hers a hint to all you Ural owners.I've been playing around doing the measurements and hitting a couple of bone yards.I found a Kia Reo seat will fit by measurement only.I'm going next week and getting the seat.To see if it really fits.I'll keep this posted and maybe even get some pictures out...Let you know how oit works:deal
  10. DRcruiser

DRcruiser Tourin and Scootin

Oddometer:
    What about the after market jeep or the racing seats. Most are light weight and many have a somewhat universal mount system.
  11. BeeMaa

BeeMaa Submariner

Oddometer:
    +1
    I have owned Jeeps and that is exactly what I was thinking while reading this.
    Actually thinking of looking into this for my rig too.
  12. KneeDrachen

KneeDrachen Long timer

Oddometer:
    +2. SWMBO is in need of spinal surgery. I was flipping through some of my Jeep catalogs (had 2 TJs) and may have found a few possibilities. And the winches!!!!!
  13. Melrone

Melrone Long timer

Oddometer:
    Never thought about Jeep seats,racing seats don't have the back support and comfort we are looking for.Looked at a seat for bass boats.They were waterproof and comfortable,but no lumbar support.Thats why I've been looking at car seats..A buddy of mine has a shit load of Jeep parts might go pay him a visit.Thanks...:lol3
  14. KneeDrachen

KneeDrachen Long timer

Oddometer:
    If you check out Quadratec or "The Essentials" catalogs online, you should see some seats with lumbar support for Jeeps.
  15. planzman

planzman commie bike rider

Oddometer:
    when you finally get the seat to fit and if (IF) you are having it recovered, why not ad some heating pads like on the BMW heated seats, something both for the bottom and lower back areas, not just to keep warm, but also to be theraputic (is that spelled right?).

cheers