Hyper Motard Check In

Discussion in 'Road Warriors' started by conlysm, Jun 11, 2010.

1. optimum_malarky

optimum_malarky Premium nonsense

Oddometer:
    Thread bump! Hoping to see and hear more about Hypers in action!
  2. BMWs2Dave

BMWs2Dave Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    OK, I will take the bait and update those who are interested on my recent Hypermotard 796 experience.
    Back in June 2013 I asked a few questions here in this thread about the Hypermotard, as I was considering buying one.
    I found a used one in July 2013 with very low miles on it, and bought it. In the 10 months I have owned it, I have put 2000 miles on it playing around on roads near home.
    I find it to be a very fun bike, and it is still very pleasing to my eye to look at. I added a tank bag so I can store a few essentials that I need to take with me whenever I ride.
    It is plenty fast enough to have fun on, but not stupid fast to get me killed by a careless twist of the wrist.
    It is not a practical highway touring bike, but is is wonderful at riding the many twisty scenic roads around the Napa Valley where I live. Many times when I just want to get out for a couple hours ride to have fun, it is the perfect bike for that.

Dave
  3. michael_l

michael_l Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thanks! Nice reply, I think I'm going to be shopping for an 1100 in the very near future and it's good to continue reading reviews, including all the other versions.
  4. Tom S

Tom S Can I ride it?

Oddometer:
    My 2010 1100 SP is practical enough for me for "highway touring". :evil
    I like naked, stripped down bikes. Dirt bike like qualities. The lighter the better & still enough power to hit triple digits speeds with ease. I don't need or want to carry a ton of crap with me & the tail rack I built should carry all that I need.
    Don't need or want a windshield or a bike that is slathered in plastic bodywork.
    You don't need a big fat GS or a HD to hit the road. :deal
    Like this guy said ... :D
    http://www.advrider.com/forums/showpost.php?p=21686345&postcount=233
  5. jerdog53

jerdog53 Crop Dusting Everywhere

Oddometer:
    Yah! What he said!! :deal
  6. Tom S

Tom S Can I ride it?

Oddometer:
    And what you said! :thumb
  7. BMWs2Dave

BMWs2Dave Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    If I am going to be riding 60+ miles on the highway, I want a windscreen. To ride without one really gets tiring. That is why I said it is not a practical touring bike.
    I have a BMW roadster with a windscreen and lots of luggage capacity. I take the BMW if I am going for a longer ride and need to carry some stuff.
    If I am going for a fun shorter ride that I do not need to carry anything, I take the Hypermotard 796.

I find that I get about 50 MPG on my Hyper 796. Fuel range has not been an issue. I typically go about 130 miles before the low fuel light comes on. Some have complained about the small fuel tank, but this is not really an issue in my opinion. By the time I have gone 130 miles, I am ready to stop, stretch, and get some fuel.

Dave
  8. lentuk

lentuk Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Just scored this low mile 2010 1100 EVO SP.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
  9. BOXER1

BOXER1 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Beautiful. Congrats!
  10. r'elise me

r'elise me Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    I've got nothing bad to say about sport touring my 2010 Hyper as I don't mind naked bikes and I don't insist on a lot of frills. In fact, I prefer clean wind from my hyper with Puig touring screen than the buffeting cacophany of my GSA with supposedly engineered aero.

About the only wishes I could have for a better touring Hyper would be:
    1. heated grips - solved
    2. better seat - solved with Sargeant Sport
    3. Storage that woks with the Termi Race system (Giant loop coyote? Bags Connection tank ring mounted tank bag) - Hepco Becker C Bow doesn't appear to work with the Evo SP with side mount Term Race :cry
    4. Rearset with significantly more bias to the forward lean to counteract wind force - would be nice to have an intermediate peg a bit fore of the pillion pegs. Working on that since I haven't found a good rearset for touring.
    5. Bigger tank - CA Cycleworks 6.4G but oem is manageable unless you're really in the boons.
    6. Cruise crontrol
    7. better lighting - LED or HID on its way
    8. GPS - Nuvi
    9. Phone charger setup - easy
    10- mirrors - CRG 3" barend mounts
  11. jerdog53

Oddometer:
    That is good looking!! :clap
  12. lentuk

lentuk Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thanks, I have been wanting one of these since I saw one at the 2007 Long beach show, it was in a glass case with a guard standing next to it.
    This 2010 paint scheme was always my favorite.
    This bike was offered by a local dealer to a friend of mine but his legs were too short for the extra height of the SP.
    1040 miles on the odometer, I could not pass it up.
  13. tervanun

tervanun Nooooob

Oddometer:
    *revives dead thread*
    So I came here to just get a feel for how owners feel about long hauling a hyper.... not that Ive don't much recently on my current bikes but the possibility certainly intrigues me.... as well as the option to take a little fire road or trail here and there.
    Y'all are really making me want to go pick one up. There are 2 for sale near me... both 1100's, one S And I think the other is basic. Both 2008? Under 10k miles.
    I just need my 2016 R1 to sell (big mistake), and then perhaps my streetfighter can have a new friend in the garage :)
  14. Tom S

Tom S Can I ride it?

Oddometer:
    How do you feel about it? :evil
  15. tervanun

tervanun Nooooob

Oddometer:
    I mean the idea certainly excites me.
    I got a chance to test ride one around the block (no plates, couldn't go far). But I definitely enjoyed it!
    If I get one I'll try it out for 6 months then decide whether to keep the HM or SF :dunno
  16. Pork Butt

Pork Butt Save the USA

Oddometer:
    Ventura rack and luggage

[​IMG]

once you get where you are going take the tall rack off and use the small hoop to cap the ends

[​IMG]

this was a week down the BRP, Deals Gap, and over to TWO

PB
  17. Tom S

Tom S Can I ride it?

Oddometer:
    Mine is a keeper. :thumb

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Elkwood likes this.
  18. jerdog53

Oddometer:
    I like it!!

[​IMG]
    Elkwood and DittyBag like this.
  19. DittyBag

DittyBag DIAF

Oddometer:
    Kinda attached too.

[​IMG]

@jerdog53 I think that I'll try the Big Empty in WY this year, and if I can make it up there, the Calico Trail in CO. It's a big IF.:scratch
  20. tervanun

tervanun Nooooob

Oddometer:
    I'm definitely gonna need to swap for some adventure tires whenever I get my hands on a Hyper. Any suggestions for a good all around street/Trail tire?
    I'm in Nevada so should be fairly dry dirt year round.