MOAB, Trials and ADV Bikes OCT 08

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by rwamf, Oct 5, 2008.

1. rwamf

rwamf Follow me

Oddometer:
    Just did a week in Moab, with my Wife Janet(021150GSADV), my Son Malcolm (Xchallenge), my Brother Paul and his wife Val (07R1200GSADV), Buddy Mike and his wife Crystal (06R1200GSADV), Friend Tim and his wife Lynn (KTM640ADV)
    We took the ADV bikes and the Trials bikes
    We also took the Jeep to let the wives do stuff while we where riding, it worked out great.

Day one "two up day"
    we headed south over and behind the LaSals, and worked our way down Onion Creek, Nice easy day one warm up.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Day two
    we let the women folk take the Jeep on the White Rim, not all the way just to lathrop canyon. Paul and I just played around taking pictures untill he ripped his skid plate off, damm there are rocks on the White Rim trail??
    Mike , Malcolm and Tim did the whole loop, and had a blast
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Sittin' on the edge, waiting for the women to catch up, having a cold one.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Even Mikie made it thru the SILT
    [​IMG]

Day 3 was a Trials day, Slick rock is a blast, but I do not understand all the mountain bikers, don't they know about internal combustion???
    it is so much fun going up the rocks.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Day 4.
    Tim and Lynn left, and Malcolm took the women in the Jeep sight seeing
    Paul Mike and I went out to Gemini Bridges where Mike got to the sand and said screw this headed back to camp, Paul and I went onward, met up with a Guy on a new KLR on a trip from the Bay area, Ken, So Ken hooked up with us and we did Spring canyon and then Long canyon back to Camp
    [​IMG]
    Having fun on my GS riding solo in Spring Canyon
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Day 5
    We decided to do another two up day as Mike and Crystal headed home in the early AM, So we took off thru Castle valley over to Gateway CO, down a very fun paved 141 to a dirt road (CR722) that took us back to 191, very easy but scenic.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Ate lunch here in Gateway, When did they build this place???
    [​IMG]
    Part of the old water flume from the 1800's very impressive.
    [​IMG]

Day 6
    Pal and Val headed out, So Malcolm and I decided to do Lockhart Basin
    So we headed out over Hurrah Pass, then up Lockhart, Someone once told me not to take a GS in there, It had a few bad spots, but all where rideable on the big GS, Just had to pick a line carefully. I only took a couple of pictures as when I got to them I did not want to stop and look at it any longer than necessary. It only had about 6 or 7 rough spots with the last on a down hill set of steps that I would not wanted to go up on the GS.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Picture just don't do it justice, Photos look easy, or I should say not as bad as it was.
    [​IMG]
    How did someone get this thing in there?????
    [​IMG]

Had a blast
    Till next year
  2. dentedvw

dentedvw Where did I put that

Oddometer:
    You know, I never do get tired of seeing Moab.
    thanks for the RR!
  3. grizzzly

grizzzly The Pre-Banned Version

Oddometer:
    one of these days I need to get out there on my new toy:nod
    [​IMG]
    nice pic’s
  4. GB

GB . Administrator Super Moderator

Oddometer:
    Wow! Nice action!! Moab pics are always impressive and spectacular, thanks for posting :thumb
  5. WilderRider

WilderRider Long timer

Oddometer:
    Great report. Thanks for posting up. I, of course, am humbled by the silt riding.
  6. El Guero

El Guero Long timer

Oddometer:
    awesome pictures! I love that GS wheelie shot :lol3 Maybe Moab would be a good place to go next spring...
  7. homerj

homerj 742 Evergreen Terrace

Oddometer:
    Man! what's with all the Moab trips the last few weeks? I did one, EJWPC did one, this one, and there are two others but the OP's name escapes me. How is it that so many Advriders were out there and we didn't take the place over? It'd be like a modern day Hollister. Or we'd all go to bed early because we were so whipped from riding :D
  8. rwamf

rwamf Follow me

Oddometer:
    We talked with two guys on small bikes going to do Chicken Corners, The only other ADV rider we saw the whole week was Ken on his KLR, he rode from Bay area, and was heading over to Denver via back roads, Gave him tracks from Moab to Silverton via Ophir, spend the night in then over Cinnamon after that he was on his own.
    We saw a few new 800GS's driving on the highway, saw a couple other GS's pull into the campground but did not talk to them.
  9. KarlNum

KarlNum Go Dam It, GO!

Oddometer:
    Dude that sum sik stuff! Take me next time!
  10. AUS CRUZER

AUS CRUZER Lets Cruz

Oddometer:
    Nice pics.:clap
  11. KarlNum

KarlNum Go Dam It, GO!

Oddometer:
    Hey RW, I have been thinking of getting a Trials Bike, never ridden one before, not sure if I will like like, would like to start with a used one to keep my investment low, any suggestions? Brand? Years? Motor? I would appreciate it very much. Kyle
  12. rwamf

rwamf Follow me

Oddometer:
    You can find used trails bikes in very good condition for around $2500
    That would be for a 2000- 2005 , There are Montessa 2 strokes, thru 06 then they went all 4 strokes 2006-2009 , Sherco 2.5 and 2.9 2 strokes, Beta Rev3 2 stroke, Gas Gas 250's , Scorpa 250 ( has Yamaha motor) all are very nice, look in Cycle news or at MC shops for a local Trial going on and go, Trials people are very friendly and most will let you try their bike. also a good place to find used ones.

On this trip we all had diff bikes, but two where FANTICS what are the odds
    Malcolm was riding his 97 Fantic Section ( Still runs awesome)
    I have a 02 Montessa
    Paul was on his 1990 Fantic 307
    Mike was on a 02-03-04? Sherco 2.9
    and Tim was on a Beta Rev3 Not sure on what year it was
    We all had a blast and no better place to enjoy a trials bike than on the Slick Rock.
  13. WilderRider

WilderRider Long timer

Oddometer:
    I was thinking the same thing.:freaky
  14. ISDTBower

ISDTBower Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Great Pics Robert! A couple years ago we were back there Jeeping and took a day off. The wife and I jumped on my LC4 and headed for Chicken Corners. On the way back, I "saw this trail" and asked a guy if he thought it went through. "Sure, it is only about 20 miles as the crow flies to pavement." We took off up Lockhart Trail at about 2PM. 5 miles in, I pitch the wife off the back on one of the obsticles you talk about (she won't ride with me again). It should be only a little further ...right? I think I hit pavement about 60 miles later, and then had to get all the way back to Moab in the cold evening. NO gas stations either. Made it just before dark with a thimble of gas. Did I say she won't ride with me again?

Moab is a MUST destination for everyone! Thanks for sharing the pics! Memories!
  15. kktos

kktos on a bright side of life

Oddometer:
    yes !!
    Fantastic RR.
    full grin :)
    many thx,
    /thierry
  16. KLXplode

KLXplode Desert Hunter

Oddometer:
    Ok, im new to trials and My uncle (competed in trials) suggested a 1985 Yamaha TY-350. It is older but it is a reliable bike with great power. I love it and I like its power more then most modern trials bikes. Also, if you can find one they are very cheep (I got mine for $800). Thats just my suggestion......
  17. KLXplode

KLXplode Desert Hunter

Oddometer:
    Must destination? Moab is the center of the universe! It is totally my favorite riding destination. Here, I will post a few pix...

-Just around the corner from the top of Hurrah Pass

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

-Chicken Corners
    [​IMG]

-On the way back down Hurrah Pass
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Yep, thats me...
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Comment and tell me what you think! P.S. Im leaving from Denver to go to Moab on tuesday! I cant wait!!!