Robby Gordon 2013

Discussion in 'Racing' started by larryboy, Dec 9, 2012.

1. HogWild

HogWild Skott Whitknee

Oddometer:
    I doubt anyone would protest the outside assistance since almost everyone gets some type of outside assistance somewhere along the line. If someone protests now, a LOT of eyes will be on that driver, and they'll be sorry later when they receive the same penalty!
  2. troy safari carpente

troy safari carpente f5ree sub-zero agent

Oddometer:
    This ^^^

^

and THIS^^^

No need to protest (if it's on film and they want to, the jury can give a penalty without a team having to lodge a protest... if the offense is deemed warranted)... anyway, I think that the x-raid brass will sit on their cards... and wait and see. Past form indicates that RG will try to drive himself back to the front, and detonate somewhere along the way (or do soft drinks implode/explode?).

Either way, RG tend to fight hardest when he's in the corner... but history suggest he - rarely - gets of the ropes in that situation.

It should be fun and spectacular (fast) to watch though.
  3. Scribe

Scribe £Bob£

Oddometer:
    At least it wasn't a blown belt. :lol3
  4. HogWild

HogWild Skott Whitknee

Oddometer:
    There is a time limit on filing a protest, or making such a ruling, which is probably some hours after the finish of the stage. So, if they don't do it now, it becomes too late.
  5. Flood

Flood F5lood.

Oddometer:
    There's simply no grounds for a protest. Spectators pushing cars out is a staple of the Dakar, that's the stuff people want to see. I can't remember any protest of that kind passing the green table.

Also, RG has lost enough time as it is, no reason to heap a penalty on top.
  6. troy safari carpente

Oddometer:
    You are right... I'm not saying they can hold him to ransom for it (wait three days and then protest) I just pointing out that IF ASO clerk of Course or the FIA Jury deem it to be outside assistance, they CAN penalize him without another team lodging a protest (before the protest time limit - when the provisional general classification results are made final). I agree that no other team will protest ( like you say; bad karma/eyes on us) at this early stage, nor - probably - do they need to.
  7. Strong Bad

Strong Bad Former World's Foremost Authority

Oddometer:
    People are talking that he's 30 min back. But official timing is showing 10 min off leader. Was he given a time penalty for the assistance??? Sorry I was away all day and wasn't trying to watch live.
  8. troy safari carpente

Oddometer:
    Not so... didn't Ari Vatanen get stung for outside assistance when he drowned the Race toureg in Portugal (2006?). a spectator vehicle towed out the car... and (IIRC) he finished the stage on a strap behind one of the VW team T5 service trucks... okay, it was a liason stage (not a special), but he copped a time penalty for it. Also true that this was back when Mitsubishi were analy retentive about maintaining their dominance...

but grounds for a penalty/protest there IS... outside assistance may NOT be provided by any other vehicle/persons than another competing crew. THAT's the rule.
  9. Flood

Flood F5lood.

Oddometer:
    SS1/Prologue times were multiplied by 3 for the cars, by 5 for the bikes to fight strategic sandbagging.
  10. HogWild

HogWild Skott Whitknee

Oddometer:
    No no, Robby HIMSELF was driving that Fiat. He happened to find this old car just sitting beside the road, jumped in, and towed the Hummer out of the ditch. No outside assistanec at all! :D

[​IMG]
  11. troy safari carpente

Oddometer:
    Because the stage was so short (13 km's) the ASO multiplying the times by a factor of three for the scoring purposes.
  12. Strong Bad

Oddometer:
    Copy that, thank you! :wave
  13. ric678

ric678 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    2) Assistance carried out by a non-accredited Vehicle or person will lead to the following penalties :
     1st infringement : obligation for Vehicles and/or the persons concerned to be accredited with the Organisation or to leave the itinerary of the Rally + a 3-hour penalty for the Competitor concerned, 6 hours on a Selective Section;
     2nd infringement: Disqualification of the concerned Driver.
  14. Chuck Roll

Chuck Roll Allergic to Organic

Oddometer:
    Big Snowball this early , :cry:cry
  15. HogWild

HogWild Skott Whitknee

Oddometer:
    Now that I think about it, that particular steep dune was probably not marked in the roadbook as it should have been, so I think ASO may neutalize that section. Robby may be back in it after all! DuneGate!!!
  16. Deadly99

Deadly99 Fast and Far

Oddometer:

Nah this is the internet :evil
  17. troy safari carpente

Oddometer:
    I've never said I don't like him... I've often said he's one of the most naturally talented and gifted off road drivers I've ever witnessed (saw him race personally, repeatedly in SCORE HDRA and MTEG events in the 1987 - 1990 period, where he won titles as a teenager. A unique talent without a doubt...

In my opinion had he stayed at VW and found a way to fit in within the framework there... he'd have had at least two dakar titles to his name by now (probably 2007 and the one Devilliers took in 2009), but he decided to go his own way... and it's never (unfortunately) worked out for him.

my point being that (just like his driving style) he tries to meet the competition (and officialdom) head on... and that's NOT working for him the last half dozen years or so...

I didn't realise that "fan" thread dictates you cannot discuss such a subject openly, with a touch of humour or ribbing... my appologies.
  18. xr400r

xr400r Long timer

Oddometer:
    anyone buy the the robby gordon t shirt? do you get a t shirt and sweatshirt?
  19. Strong Bad

Oddometer:
    He is who he is. People always accuse me of being a Rubby hater which is not true at all I don't hate him, but I'm not a leg humpper either. I love watching him and I love laughing at his antics.
  20. wrk2surf

wrk2surf on the gas or brakes

Oddometer:
    THE exact center of California/Bass lake/Yosemite
    Robbie could run for president .. I like watching him too SB !