My Helix is back

Discussion in 'Battle Scooters' started by windburn, Nov 13, 2008.

1. windburn

windburn Long timer

Oddometer:
    After a cracked intake manifold sidelined me on Interstate 5 in Oregon I took to the task of getting the Helix running again. After some discussion with some Helix owners and my Mechanic I decided to look for a good used motor on ebay. I found a 2004 with 2400 miles that was available and bought the motor. I hired scooter source of Lydle, Ohio to make the switch. the switch went very well and my 1986 Helix has a fresh motor and runs very well. really the best since I have owned it. I have been fluffing and buffing the helix and I ride it every day 38,200 miles total on the odometer. the throttle is very responsive, the engine is quiet, the ride is great. It's been 59 Degrees here but I have had a smile on my face. My silver Wing will have to wait a bit as I get reacquainted with the helix. I'm just having a blast!:clap[​IMG]
  2. Coopdway

Coopdway Curiouser

Oddometer:
    Welcome back to Helixdom Windburn. Our season is for all intents and purposes over, so now I'll be inspecting, swapping tires, etc. while the cold winds blow. I'd like nothing better than to read about you getting some more miles on that fresh engine.

Keep those wheels turnin'!
  3. brockster

brockster Despair & Repair Garage

Oddometer:
    Bravo Mike!:clap
  4. tcjames.yu

tcjames.yu Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Amazing things has happened on your Helix that you changed an new engine, it's the fast way to upgrade your scooter I'll think it over on my Elite150.Ha Ha.:evil :evil
  5. MQracing

MQracing Been here awhile

Oddometer:

I don't know Helix's real well (or, rather, not at all) but if it was just a cracked intake manifold... why didn't you just replace the manifold as opposed to replacing the whole engine?

MSL
  6. windburn

windburn Long timer

Oddometer:
    The Problem came to my attention while Traveling along I-5 in Oregon, USA and the cracked Intake change the fuel to air mixture resulting In a blown Head Gasket and Piston. I was Half way through a 75 mile trip rolling along the freeway at 60 mph. Lost power coasted to a stop and called for assistance. waited three hours on the side of the freeway.

After the Fact I found that this is a common problem in theses older intakes they get brittle and crack from vibration. My scoot was 22 years old when this happened.

My recommendation would be that if you have a Helix that is 15+ years you should change out the intake manifold with a new one. Intake Manifolds are less then 1/15 the cost of a new motor.

This was just an expensive Learning experience.
    :norton
  7. Bandit240

Bandit240 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I ended up getting the blown engine out of Windburn's Helix. When these engines blow up, they do it with style.

Here is the piston.
    [​IMG]