DOT rated helmets in OZ? Legal?

Discussion in 'Australia' started by Hewby, Nov 18, 2013.

1. Hewby

Hewby Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    currently on the road, but I call Tassie home
    I am returning to OZ from the USA and wondering if I should bring my helmet? Or do I have to buy a new one in OZ as it don't have the Australian standards sticker? Is it reciprocal? Or not? Anyone know for sure? Thanks.
  2. Gadget678

Gadget678 Long timer

Oddometer:
    I was talking to a dealer the other day.... Apparently a few hundred dollar fine & 2 (or 3- can't remember exactly) demerit points if you get caught without an Aus standards sticker.
  3. TB650

TB650 An average punter living the dream

Oddometer:
    Thanks Gadget, this reminded me to ask, has anybody actually had this happen. I am asking for the person typing the reply not hear say. Not you know someone, not your cousin, your uncle etc. I don’t care about the law, or a salesman I am just curious has someone actually been pinged for it. My fav helmet is a USA holiday purchase and I have been pulled over many a time and not a single plod has asked to see my helmet sticker. Before you flame me over me breaking the law just make sure you don’t do 88 in 80 zone or exit a roundabout without using your blinker :D<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" /><o:p></o:p>

Thanks in advance<o:p></o:p>

<o:p> </o:p>
    <o:p> </o:p>
    TB<o:p></o:p>
  4. Happy Snapper

Happy Snapper GOMOB.

Oddometer:
    As an aside to this.. what happens when visiting American bikers (with or without their own bikes) bring there own helmets for a tour of Australia?

Anybody have any actual experience of that?
  5. Hewby

Hewby Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Yep ok. Thanks tb650. Good to know they are not out to get you. Should I mention I am planing to ride mostly in Tassie and Victoria? Not heading to Queensland in the near future and I don't ride a Harley or wear patches!? Stupid, but it seems it might be sadly relevant in this conversation. But yes I knew the stickers were important. Another question is insurance. If you have a crash the helmet stickers would have no relevance to insurance right? If the likelihood of impact is low, as tb650 has found I think I will risk it. - the helmet is good. I am protected. It's reasonable. If the impact is high - and people on this site are police who know, or people who have been charged I will look to leave my lovely helmet behind :( ( even though they sell the same helmet in Australia it just has two red stickers on it instead of black ones- though it seems almost crazy!. )
  6. Warin

Warin Retired

Oddometer:
    Ummm exiting a roundabout without using a blinker? Is that not legal for a single lane roundabout if your going "straight ahead"?

---------- Never seen a "helmet sticker" check. I'd suspect that it may have some impact if you have an insurance claim for head injuries.
  7. StayUpright

StayUpright Witty Quip goes here

Oddometer:
    It depends on the state. Some states require that the Oz sticker be there, other states simply require that the helmet meets the standards.

I think Queensland is one of these - but in Queensland you'll be likely to have other issues with the plod than stickers.
  8. Hewby

Hewby Been here awhile

Oddometer:
  9. Hewby

Hewby Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    and more research has lead to this thread from last year, so i might bring back the helmet and take the risk as it seems all a bit messed up legally anyway....

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=841888&page=2
    which ends up saying that

10. Roughnut

Roughnut Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Insurance is more the worry, family might miss out if it all turns to shit.

3 of us got pulled over by the Highway Patrol in Queensland the other day, license and breath test, all smiles thank you very much sir on your way.
    I don't think middle aged ADV riders have too much to worry about with the coppers.
  11. Tony T

Tony T Long timer

Oddometer:
    My thoughts exactly.
    Why would you want to take that risk for a few hundred bucks?
    Insurance companies hate bikes enough as it is and I'm sure they would find that not having a strictly legal helmet plenty of ammunition to deny a claim.
    If I'm dumb enough to kill myself, I really wouldn't want my family to suffer even more after I'm gone cos I wanted to save a few dollars.
  12. racca

racca wandering aimlessly

Oddometer:
    You always indicate left when exiting a round about, no matter whether your going left, right, straight ahead or back the way you came. eg. If you going straight ahead, wait till your past the left turn then indicate left to show your exiting.

Flame on.
  13. gsd4me

gsd4me 90% bluff

Oddometer:
    Correctly indicating at roundabouts is easy, don't know how it confuses so many drivers'.
  14. dave43

dave43 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    TB - not me but my son was pinged $100 last year for no sticker here in WA. That close enough for you? Reckon it depends on the mood when you get pulled over.
  15. Nerb

Nerb Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Because it is different in different states? Here in Vic they are just a cross road and you do not indicate if going straight. If turning right you indicate right (actually they have now added "indicate left on exit if practicable"). In qld if you are turning right you use your right indicator when entering the roundabout and your left when exiting.

http://www.vicroads.vic.gov.au/home/safetyandrules/roadrules/roundabouts.htm
    http://www.tmr.qld.gov.au/Safety/Queensland-road-rules/Road-rules-refresher/Roundabouts.aspx
  16. Bigem

Bigem Long timer

Oddometer:

I know from personal experience that insurance isnt a problem as long as the helmet is one of the recognised world standards.

I know of several people who have had their 'imported' helmets replaced due to accident damage.

In a nutshell, the dealers are full of shit and have been running a scare campaign along with the importers for the last 4-5 years.

If they didnt rip us off for helmets, we wouldn't be buying from oversea's!!

Why does it cost $800-900 for an XD-4 here when you can get one out of Japan or the States for for less than $300?

Identical helmet without SAI Globals gold plated sticker on it!

Pretty fucking simple really!!
  17. gsd4me

gsd4me 90% bluff

Oddometer:

Fair enough, if you are going straight on it doesn't really matter whether you indicate of not, it just tells other drivers' what you intend to do.

I have seen drivers' approaching roundabouts and some of the blinker combinations have to be seen to be believed.

How about, left blinker on, get to 9 0`clock position, right blinker, then exit roundabout at 3 0' clock position with no blinker. Pity the car driver who took things at their word and entered the roundabout expecting the oncoming car to exit before the 9 0' clock position as indicated.
  18. TB650

TB650 An average punter living the dream

Oddometer:
    Thanks it is pretty much what I heard from a source

:clap

TB
  19. Warin

Warin Retired

Oddometer:
    Yep. Seen a few of them. Also
    changing lanes in a roundabout...
    Right blinker to get on the roundabout followed by left blinker as they exit left (thus making a 90 degree left turn)...

A roundabout is an intersection ..

You want to turn at an intersection? You indicate your INTENTION to turn BEFORE the intersection (in NSW by law at least 30 meters before the intersection).

------------------------- back on topic
    I think Bigem means a helmut that is from a major manufacture .. not a hat that does not normally come here? And that was for damage to the hat (thus a straight replacement) .. rather than damage to the head?
  20. Tar snakes

Tar snakes Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    A mate and I got pulled over here in Vic by a Highway Patrol cop about 2 years ago, the stickers on our helmets and our pillions were all checked that day.

I don't know anyone else who has had it checked though.