Trying to drink the Uly Koolaid - I want one

Discussion in 'Japanese polycylindered adventure bikes' started by tominboise, Mar 25, 2009.

1. tominboise

tominboise Long timer

Oddometer:
    I am in the midst of trying to sell a couple of motorcycles and some guns to fund a Buell Uly. A local has a 2009 XB12X with 40! miles on it I can probably buy for $91-9500. I believe this is a good deal. Any thoughts? The local HD dealer has several '06's used on lot for $7500 to $8800.
  2. liledy

liledy Let's Ride

Oddometer:
    If you like riding your SV 650 you'll love the Uly. It corners great! As far as which deal is better , both sound reasonable. If you can swing it ,the 09's have a better turning radius and a little lower seat but Ive put almost 9000 miles on my 06 and don't have any complaints what so ever. It's a blast on freeways, twistys, logging roads or just tooling thru town. If you decide on one of the 06's the black ones , IMO are the way to go. Have Fun.
  3. thisflatearth

thisflatearth 2 wheel has been

Oddometer:
    Get the best one with low miles/$ you can find and everything can upgraded for cheap (relatively)

I love my 06 and haven't had any issue with it. About to swap 08 triple trees on, not because i really need them, because I cant leave anything alone.

My girl says its the most comfortable ride ever, stock seat.
  4. Dr. Greg

Dr. Greg Tryin' to get home.. Supporter

Oddometer:
    I bought '06 Uly S/N 044 on 10/1/05 and rode it for 55,400 wonderful miles, then I hit a deer on 12/6/08 and totaled it. Bought '06 Uly S/N 564 to replace it.

It was/is my favorite bike of ALL TIME. And I'm 61 YO, been riding for 50 years, and come from a sportbike (Aprilia/Ducati)/dirtbike (KX, KDX, KLX) background. I'm a big fan (no pun intended) of the '06 Ulys, but buy what you feel best about.

--Doc
  5. SkiFastBadly

SkiFastBadly A beer? Yes, please

Oddometer:
    Unless it's a stretch, monetarily, I'd get the 09. Tighter turning (less steering lock), several engine upgrades, and I believe they've eliminated the need for TPS reset.

I have an 07 and it's a great bike, and the one I generally to go when I'm heading out the garage with no destination in mind.
  6. tominboise

tominboise Long timer

Oddometer:
    Well, thanks for the replies - so far I have sold one bike, so I have one bike and three guns to go...Hopefully get that wrapped up by this weekend and start looking for the Uly....
  7. Dirtysouth

Dirtysouth Stud fee waived for noobs

Oddometer:
    I need to do a write up on the Uly. I've had 20 bikes or so in the past 5-6 years and while there were some good ones, none of them obviously grabbed me in a way to keep them. Granted I have only had my 06 Uly for 6 weeks, I have managed to put 3200 miles on it and man does this bike rock. Sure it's tall for a guy like myself who has a 30" inseam but I'm not scared, I don't need 2 feet on the ground to feel comfortable at a stop light. The fan is loud but I can't hear it when I am yelling; get you some in my helmet. The steering lock sucks monkey nuts, about like the sv650s that I had. I shakes when sitting at a light but if you have the RPM's adjusted to the recommended 1050 rpm, it isn't bad. I can feel the heat that everyone complains about but that along with the other complaints that you hear from a lot of guys, just don't bother me. It is a motorcycle, a damn fun one at that and as long as she treats me right, this one will be in the garage for a long time to come.
  8. Snr Moment

Snr Moment Unafarkler

Oddometer:
    The Uly Koolaid is good chit. Only regret I have in getting my 09 XT is that I should have gotten the X. Deal on the XT was too good to turn down, but now I find myself on a lot more dirt & gravel than I originally ever thought I'd do. This is my 4th bike in about 18 months & it's a keeper.