800 XC Front 2-line brake upgrade

Discussion in 'Japanese polycylindered adventure bikes' started by Dubl-A, Jun 24, 2013.

1. Dubl-A

Dubl-A SuckerDucker

Oddometer:
    Hi All,

After seeing this video awhile back...

http://vimeo.com/lostrider/lostrider

I'm seriously considering upgrading the front brake line routing/ configuration on my 2nd XC. I would like to go from a 2-Line over the fender to a 2-line direct basically running separate lines to the master cylinder to each caliper.

As I sit at my desk at work a decent distance from my bike pondering and scheming I searched but could not find this info. I was wondering if any XC owners have gone this route and could share their parts list/distributor they used.

I found this site that looks great as far as information but not sure on lengths and fittings people are successfully running. I would honestly feel better just ordering the custom kit and having a mechanic complete the work as brakes/bleeding is not one of my talents.

I'm pretty sure I'll need:

(1) Double Banjo bolt M10X1.25X31 @ Master Cylinder
    (2) Brake lines with Banjo fittings at both ends (Length suggestions??)
    (2) Single Banjo Bolt M10X1.25X21
    (6) WASHER,15.2 X 10 X 1.0,PLATED

The stock setup has the banjo connectors at each end so I assume I can get the Line made with Banjo's on both ends correct?

Any help is greatly appreciated!! Thanks in advance :D

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  2. Rob Dirt

Rob Dirt Riding my blues away

Oddometer:
    If you have ABS, then your lines will be different. They need to go to the ABS unit & then go to the brakes. I know this is common sense, but it needs to be said.
    It has been done already. I think his name is Birdy or something. I'll look for a link.
  3. Dubl-A

Dubl-A SuckerDucker

Oddometer:

Please do Rob, thanks in advance man! :clap

EDIT: Looking at the parts break-down I do not see any line running from the ABS to the front...Am I missing something here...??

[​IMG]
  4. XCRider803

XCRider803 Loftin' the wheel

Oddometer:
    I've thought about this too... decided if I did I would just get the one lower crossover cable longer and swap it out. Would accomplish what you want without all the hassle.. except the brake bleeding. :D

Edit, there you go, number 3.
  5. Dubl-A

Dubl-A SuckerDucker

Oddometer:
    Wow deep in the Tiger 800 thread....

Still have some questions....Birdy (PM Sent but I'm sure people would love to hear)

6. Dubl-A

Dubl-A SuckerDucker

Oddometer:
    Speed Triple setup mentioned in his post...

[​IMG]
  7. Dubl-A

Dubl-A SuckerDucker

Oddometer:
    Looked at the bike last night and I do see the line running to the ABS unit. I guess I could come up with some basic measurements and hope for the best :1drink
  8. phaneuf

phaneuf Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I hit up birdy and he has a few more pics of the set up. With the ABS there is a line from master cylinder to ABS module then to the front. The 3 line setup is the way it is configured but from the ABS module, not the master cylinder. He did have a spring retainer and rubber bushing holding the T fitting borrowing a mount bolt on the upper radiator mount.

I would have this done by now but I'm separated from my bike by 7000 miles. The Army gets in the way of a lot of trip planing but does facilitate the funds for those trips.

I'd love to know what you come up with on line lenght measurements, fitting sizes, and cost. I have a trip planned and see this as a mod that is worth the cost.

I'm sure if you let Spiegler know what your up to they may want to adopt a kit for the tiger so no more guess work for future owners wanting to do the same mod.
  9. Rob Dirt

Rob Dirt Riding my blues away

Oddometer:
    In the meantime, just unhook the brakelines from the front fender. If the front fender comes off, then it will not pull the brakeline into your tire. Reposition it when you get out of rocks & gravel.
  10. onetire

onetire Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I did my non-ABS XC a few weeks ago. I used 22.5 degree bends on the banjos facing the opposite direction (like an S). One line is 42" and the other was 39" in length, from 10mm hole to other 10mm hole. I paid $60 for the pair from ebay, a guy listed as chevotalandcruiser.
  11. Dubl-A

Dubl-A SuckerDucker

Oddometer:

Exactly what I was looking for, thanks One!!

Got any pics showing any of this? :ear
  12. onetire

onetire Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I'll take some and post tomorrow.
  13. onetire

onetire Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Here you go:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
  14. Rubberlegs

Rubberlegs Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Someone please explain to me why people spend time and money on mods like these. I guess to each his own in this world but I can't for the life if me figure out why people change brake lines that are still perfectly good.

Makes as much sense as those people who change thier oil when it's still 50% good.
  15. PBee

PBee ...---...

Oddometer:

Have a close look..................no mudguard.

And maybe some folks like freedom of expression? :wink:

vive la différence
  16. Moonsorrow

Moonsorrow Jesus

Oddometer:
    Sorry for the late reply, only saw this thread just now, but I've got a pair (non-abs) from Helmobile.co.uk You do have to specify the lengths (I've got 100 / 105 cm.) and I'm not sure about the angle aswell. I Just made a picture of the bottom connector and asked for 4 of those, and they fit quite well. Overall picture:
    [​IMG]
  17. Dubl-A

Dubl-A SuckerDucker

Oddometer:

Did ya read the original post? Watch the video first, clench your @$$, then shell out to prevent... :thumb

http://vimeo.com/lostrider/lostrider

Aaron
  18. Dubl-A

Dubl-A SuckerDucker

Oddometer:

Great looking bike BUT you have the lines routed right through the fender which IMO is what I'm trying to avoid all together.

Be safe!!
  19. XCRider803

XCRider803 Loftin' the wheel

Oddometer:
    This