Time to go racing...

Discussion in 'GS Boxers' started by Joe the Viking, Jan 30, 2005.

1. Joe the Viking

Joe the Viking Registered User?

Oddometer:
    Ok, so we've all read about idiots going enduro racing with their GS, now with the advent of the more road oriented R12GS this is not an option (for me anyway). This is why i've challanged a friend of mine and his -86 GSXR1100 to race me and my R12GS at one of the races of the Swedish "Rookie 1000" roadracing series. This is a pretty much open class with bikes ranging from old (late ninties) superbike racers to new stocksport R1s and the like.

Obviously we will be the laughingstocks of all the other racers neither of us having raced before and turning up with very much NON racebikes....

Now beating my friend would obviously be nice but the most important thing is to qualify for the race and to do that i will probably need to shave a few seconds off my laptimes so:

I'd like a bit of input on what modifications to do to turn my R12GS into a roadracing contender

Money will be a big issue but all suggestions are welcome at this stage of making my plan of attack, i will post some of my thoughts on problem areas soon.

Thanks for your input
    Josef
  2. SQD8R

SQD8R Eat squids and be merry

Oddometer:
    screw changing the bike the best upgrade you can get is a few trackday schools and as many trackdays, preferably @ the chosen race track, as possible. The bike, suspension and power will be more than enough to match up eith the GSXR1100 since weights are the same. Trust me get the trackdays and courses in. It's a cheaper alternative than a pukka race setup.
  3. Joe the Viking

Oddometer:
    You're quite right of course, i will be attending step one of the California superbike school, starting may i will be doing AT LEAST one evening a week a trackday instructor at the local Go-kart track plus one or two trackdays a month at various "real" tracks.

Of course i would have done this regardless of racing or not.
    Now the guy i'm racing is seriously quick and has a measured 133bhp on the rear but as i said we will be qualifying against R1s and GSXR1000s so some mods will be needed...
  4. BCC

BCC I know better

Oddometer:
    Completely agree with this advice.

I'd also take the bike to a good race bike shop and get them to set up your suspension (around $25).

Do a practice track day and ask a Control Rider to show you the racing line, etc. Stay 5 feet behind him and do exactly what he does (backing off if you feel you're over your head). Spend the rest of the day practicing.

Oh, and brake late entering. And get on the gas early exiting. And have fun!

BCC
    12gs
  5. Joe the Viking

Oddometer:
    Ok, knowing that 95% of a good race result is in the hands of the rider rather than machine i am focusing on training, both fysical and mental but just to qualify i might need to shave several seconds of laptimes and i'm already pretty close to the limits of the bike in its stock form.

Here are a few different areas to improve, give me suggestions on what to do about them and tell me what other areas i'm overlooking.

Fysical driver training:
    Trackdays on Go-kart track at least one evening a week.
    "Real" trackdays as often as time and money permits (nearest track is 250km).
    Attend one day of California superbike school.
    Try to rope an ex racer friend of mine in to help as much as possible.

Mental driver training:
    Enlist same friend as above.
    When i ride, be aware of what is mentaly keeping me from going faster and focusing on how to overcome that.

Suspension:
    Is not too shabby, suits my weight ok and very expensive to improve so i will leave it stock for now

Engine:
    The GSXR has about a 45bhp advantage and the others i guess 50-90bhp so passing might be tough.
    Maybe a KN-filter, open up the snorkel and can would be a good start. Porting the heads and raising the compression might be worth looking at?

Tires and rims:
    The front tire is a real problem area, not accepting anything racier than a Bt-020 that refuses to heat up properly and slides all over the place. The stock D607 actually gripped better because it got nice and hot but makes the bike turn as well as a Goldwing...
    Going to a 17" front may be an option if i can get enough groundclerance.
    Rear wheel is fine, just slap on a diablo or something.

Groundclerance:
    I think the cylinders are fine as is but i will have to modify the brakearm as its making me hold back a bit. pic from the first trackday i did, its alot more worn now
    Left side will be better when i remove both stands but shifter might be a problem.

Making the bike legal to race:
    Have yet to get the class rules so this list is in progress.
    Remove lots of stuff.
    Build some sort of sumpguard that can catch the engine oil in case of a spill.
    Lock the oilplugs and caliperbolts etc with wire.
    Fit tiltover switch.

Other mods:
    Some crashprotection would be nice, at least a steering stop saver

//Josef
  6. Emoto

Emoto Sure, why not?

Oddometer:
    Joe,

I have an R1200GS and I used to own a 1986 GSXR1100. The best thing you can hope for is that you are a better rider than your friend and that the track is tight and twisty because you may have a slight edge in agility. If it is a track with long straights and sweeping curves, I'm afraid you are toast. The GSXR1100 won many endurance races with little modification. I'd still have mine, but a lady in a pickup truck decided to occupy the space I was in...
  7. johnjen

johnjen Now, even more NOW!…

Oddometer:
    The most rewarding and effective single upgrade you can make is suspension. It raises your confidence and control of the bike far more than any other improvement. Yes shocks are expensive and you have to dial them in but the results will last for the rest of the bikes life and the stock shocks while OK are just that only OK compared to the best units available.

Another modification is to use aftermarket brake pads. EBC, Galfer are the 2 leading suppliers of HH rated pads... Once seated in they can supply harder braking with a little more feel and feedback. They should cost about $35 (usd) a set. Upgrading the rears is optional unless they are already heavily worn.

JJ
  8. Jinx

Jinx Dollarable...but lazy

Oddometer:
    Cut across the infield. :evil
  9. ridetwistyroads

ridetwistyroads tailwind please

Oddometer:
    :nod
  10. Joe the Viking

Oddometer:
    ok, going for a set of Öhlins shocks would set me back about 1400euros and i can't say i think they'll do me much good with the lack of sticky tires. Anyone know how much groundclerance can be gained with the Öhlins?
    I'm thinking if i can raise the bike an inch at the front and two at the back i might be able to fit a 17" front wheel, thoughts anyone?

As for changing pads: Very good idea, the stock stoppers are good but changing to stickier front pads will probably balance out the front/rear ratio of the integral brakes somewhat.
  11. philschl

philschl Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I understand you're mainly after engine mods, but I can't help there. I'm running a remus can on my R11GS but would have left the stock pipe on it had it been my choice (bought bike second hand and that's how it came).

here's some additional info to what has already been said:

- Switch off ABS on the track for harder breaking
    - don't use crash guards - they limit ground clearance
    - try to loose weight by pulling off bits you don't need (passenger seat etc)
    - experiment with handlebar position for best ergonomics in particular for hanging off and throttle control
    - your only hope is to carry high corner speed.
    - rev the bastard

Oh, and use the psychological advantage by carving up the boys on their R1's 'round the outside on your chook chaser - they'll get distracted and make mistakes... 1 down 29 to go....:eek1

Phil
    PS: Metz Tourances become very sticky when used on the track. Here my front tyre from last Saturday's stint @ Eastern Creek....

[​IMG]
  12. philschl

Oddometer:
    Joe, forgot to say:
    Good Luck!!!!
    Phil
  13. Joe the Viking

Oddometer:
    Nope, i'm mainly after mods that will allow me to go quicker and i think better tires and groundclerance are the most important factors but i may be wrong, it's happend before.:wink:

I appreciate your input and i'm not trying to be rude but we're not talking about going to my first trackday here, this is a serious national racing leauge even if it's designed to be a good starting point for a career in RR.

Looks very much like my D607s did, very sticky but just would not let the bike turn anywhere near as well as the BT-020s.
    Have you tried 607s or 020s on track and if so how do they compare to Tourances.

Thanks, Josef
  14. philschl

Oddometer:
    No offense taken mate, you just don't know who you're talking to over the net... nope never tried those tyres on the R11, but the Tourances work a lot better than the TKC80! :D
  15. mitch

mitch Long timer

Oddometer:
    The Continental Road Attack are made in 19" and 17" to suite BMW's and stick very well I'm told.
  16. Joe the Viking

Oddometer:
    I had a look at the Conti website and i can't find them in either 19" or narrow 17", does this mean i need to get new glasses?

I might want to try the V-rods D207 tire even though its a bit too wide it's probably very sticky.

Anyone know of a good way to melt large amounts of snow so i can start testing?
    I heard releasing CO2 is a good way so maybe i should just take the bike out and let it idle till spring comes around...
  17. mitch

mitch Long timer

Oddometer:

Try conti-tyres.co.uk or
    conti-online.com
    I did not find a 19'' one but I seem to remember the U.S. importer saying they would bring them in if there was enough call for them, how is your German ? there may be somthing on their homepage.
    Good Luck
  18. Surly

Surly surly adventurer

Oddometer:
    i dont think you will need to worry aboot the above :lol3
  19. B-art

B-art Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Tires ?
    I would go for Michelin Anakee. 19" and 17"vor the GS are sticke when hot.

Suspension?
    Ohlins to expensive ? Go for springs only Hyperpro springs that is.
    These are for the OEM shocks and would be around 200Euros.
    And will give You feedback and clearance.

www.hyperpro.com In sweden you can get them at Motospeed (Vasteras)

These guys also can do engine work.
    They did the engine for the HyperIII (Hyperpro special) 200HP. :evil

Oh, sorry this is for you friend. The HyperIII has a GSXR 1100 engine. :)

B-art
  20. BCC

BCC I know better

Oddometer:
    Ya musta had fun! (I was shovelling snow)

BCC
    12gs