ManRacks.com

Discussion in 'Vendors' started by jungleplant, Aug 24, 2011.

1. thebigman

thebigman XR's all the way . Big Thumps or V-twins

Oddometer:

Are you saying Manracks is gonna be passing these out for stocking stuffers to the first 50 inmates to say , I'll take a set for my PIG. :lol3:lol3:lol3
  2. Spud Rider

Spud Rider Long timer

Oddometer:
    I've got a few ideas concerning the right side brace for the XR650L, Mike. :nod I'll post a few photos, and my ideas, a little later this evening. :D

Spud :wave
  3. jungleplant

jungleplant www.manracks.com mike@manracks.com

Oddometer:
    No because they wont fit all the different cans that are out there but after this i am gonna get on
    up dating the jigs then we can look for a few freebees , you guys know i love to give shit away , Christmas is too close but next spring we should have a quite few :deal subscribe to be on the list ok, then you will get a email when there ready, thanks good question
    your allways looking out for the riders that's why i luv ya brutha , and the money ant shit ,this part is for fun
    its gonna be tough we need riders with there different cans to email there dims so we can have one size fits all
    Honda XR650L's thats is :freaky
  4. Spud Rider

Spud Rider Long timer

Oddometer:
    I've already got my Spud Struts, Mike. However, I would still like to be placed on the list of one of the right side braces you will develop for the XR650L. :D I think you can improve my design, and the resulting, right side brace will work for all XR650L mufflers. :nod

5. thebigman

Oddometer:

You know me , I cant have just 1 of anything , well , except a wife :cry

I have a DG and an FMF exhaust , the FMF is on my bike and the DG is in storage , Just say the word , and when your ready I will send it to you for mock-up :deal
  6. Pitster

Pitster miniac

Oddometer:
    Your racks look great! I have a few guys asking for these ..... http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=620536 but dont really have the proper set up to make more than my one set. If you would like I can send my sample as a jig. Are you interested in make some for the 950se guys...
  7. jungleplant

Oddometer:
    Whats a 950SE:lol3
    what R U talking bout man those look nice
    those guys drink funny beer down there , we normally stick to Hondas Yamahas and Suzukis
    but if it will help you guys out i can take a look, be glad to, pm me if you need my addy, mike
  8. Spud Rider

Spud Rider Long timer

Oddometer:
    I frequently pack my J.C. Whitney Travel Trunk with a hefty load of groceries. I also like to take short trips with my XR650L, and I prefer to take along my J.C. Whitney Travel Trunk as my luggage. :deal Therefore, I decided I should reinforce the subframe of my XR650L. :nod Since I removed the battery box when I performed my Shorai battery relocation, I decided to bolt a ¼-inch thick, steel bar between the two supports that previously held the frame for the battery box. :deal

[​IMG]

For the subframe support on the muffler side, my friend welded a short piece of steel bar at an angle to a longer piece of steel bar. I removed the rear fender brace, and mounted the rear of this bar with the bolt that previously held the fender brace. The bottom of the air box has a thick tab which is bolted to a frame gusset which supports both the air box, and the front of the muffler. :deal I drilled a hole through this lower, air box support, and bolted the front of this brace to the frame gusset. :nod

[​IMG]

Here is a photograph from the rear of my bike, showing the clearance between the subframe struts and the rear tire. :deal

[​IMG]

Here is a photograph of the right side of my bike, after the installation of the subframe struts. The front mounting bolt for the right side strut is located within the green circle in this photo. :nod

[​IMG]

I have a 2-inch space between the outside of the left strut, and my XR600R side plastic. :deal Therefore, I plan to mount a tool tube/box to this strut, and remove the factory tool bag. With the stock tool bag removed, I can install a new, ManRacks RotoPax rack which mounts closer to the saddle, reducing the leverage the loaded rack exerts on the subframe. :D

9. jungleplant

Oddometer:
    if you have read that post by michael brat, his impression is that the right side is the weakest
    because they made the left side stronger for that battery holder , what do ya think spud would a strut on the right side be enough, PS keep those desktop background images comin spud we luv them
  10. Spud Rider

Spud Rider Long timer

Oddometer:
    I hope BigMan doesn't mind; I borrowed one of his photographs to perform the Photoshop work shown below. :deal The first photograph shows the location of both my Spud Struts on the frame of the XR650L.

[​IMG]

I believe my triangulated, 1/4-inch thick, steel bars are stronger than gussets welded to the frame. I also believe the bolted struts prevent possible damage to the frame which might be caused by welding. :nod The following, doctored photograph shows only the location of my right Spud Strut.

[​IMG]

The right Spud Strut is bolted to a gusset on the frame which supports the front of the muffler. However, the bolt securing the front of my right Spud Strut currently passes through a thick, plastic tab located at the bottom of the airbox. This tab isn't necessary, since the airbox is supported by two bolts on top which secure it to the bike's frame. :nod

I would prefer to cut away this plastic tab, so one could weld a metal tab extending to the right from the front of my Spud Strut. The mounting bolt could then be attached to this metal tab, lessening the shear forces on the bolt. Also, with this arrangement, the airbox would not be compromised by the potential failure of the front mounting bolt. :deal In addition to the two, top bolts, the air box would also be supported by resting upon the metal tab extending from the right of the strut. :nod What do you think, Mike?

11. Spud Rider

Spud Rider Long timer

Oddometer:
    It does appear most of the frame fractures occur on the right side of the frame, Mike. :nod However, I think the subframe will be supported better by bolting struts onto both sides of the frame. :nod I encourage you to mount a left strut to the two battery box mounts, as I have done. If necessary, you can employ a spacer or two to prevent incursion with the battery box. :deal I believe the left strut is not only shorter, and lighter in weight, but it is also stronger than the TT strut when bolted to the two supports supplied for the battery box. :nod

12. thebigman

Oddometer:
    Spud , That dont bother me a bit, anything that will help , l , In fact , if you need a few more pics , I think I have some more that are different then these , just let me know if yall want me to post a few more :deal:freaky :clap
  13. Spud Rider

Spud Rider Long timer

Oddometer:
    Thank you, BigMan. :D I believe my modified Spud Strut might solve the problem with the weak, XR650L subframe. :nod I'm also pretty sure my modified Spud Strut will work with all aftermarket mufflers, in addition to the stock muffler. Because of his generosity to me, and others, I freely offer this design for Mike's consideration. :nod

14. Spud Rider

Spud Rider Long timer

Oddometer:
    If you have any photos clearly showing the frame gusset supporting the front of the muffler, please do post them, BigMan. :nod

My Spud Struts have performed very well for me this year. :D I believe adding a tab to the front of my right Spud Strut will strengthen the design even more, and obviate the potential difficulties involved with welding gussets to the bike's frame. :nod I also believe the shorter, straighter design of my Spud Struts is stronger than the longer, bent design of the TT frame braces. :deal

If Mike wants to build a prototype, right Spud Strut, I will be happy to cut away the air box tab on my XR650L, and experiment with the new design. :nod

[​IMG]

15. jungleplant

Oddometer:
    Thanks spud i think we need to rename them to SPUD TATTERS or SPUD STUDS
    can you live without them for a week
    if you need some paypal for the shipping make biggie pay for it :lol3 Na ill send it thanks spud
  16. Spud Rider

Spud Rider Long timer

Oddometer:
    Sure, I shall let you borrow my Spud Struts for a week or so, Mike. :nod Give me a day or two to pull them off the bike, and I will ship them to you in the same box with the rack I need to return. :deal

17. jungleplant

Oddometer:
    ok spud thanks, ps
    i have invited Michael Brat to the thread because he has actually had a frame failure and has great knowledge on this subject
  18. Spud Rider

Spud Rider Long timer

Oddometer:
    You're welcome, Mike. :D I look forward to hearing Mike Bratcher's viewpoints on this subject. :nod

I think the brace for the battery box strengthens the left side of the XR650L subframe. :nod However, the battery box weighs over ten pounds, and I don't think the subframe benefits from having the battery box slamming on it. :eek1 I have read reports of a few battery boxes breaking off during long trips into rough terrain. :deal

I'm glad I removed the battery box when I relocated my Shorai battery to the top of the airbox. :nod However, one can remove 5 pounds of weight from the battery box by merely substituting a Shorai battery for the stock battery. :deal

[​IMG]

19. jungleplant

Oddometer:
    Ya it should be interesting , I think its best to configure the struts to help the stock-bike because most riders leave there bikes stock, but many change the muffler so that would be the 2nd, then the battery seems to be the 3rd upgrade that would effect the fitment of the strut of course theres always the guys like me that want a tractor tire , can you guys think of any i have missed I would like to hang some additional mounting points onto them as well we have a 150 ton brake press to bend them and a 4000 watt laser to cut them but we need to keep the cost down for the rider these need to be affordable as hell guys
  20. Spud Rider

Spud Rider Long timer

Oddometer:
    I think there's a good chance my left Spud Strut will fit with the stock battery box in place. If it doesn't fit over the battery box, I don't think my left Spud Strut will need to be modified very much; adding a tab, or a spacer behind the front bolt will probably suffice. :wink:

Clearance for wide tires will not be an issue. :deal My Spud Struts leave lots of room for even the largest tires. :nod

[​IMG]

Accommodating different mufflers is not a problem, since my right Spud Strut is located inside the muffler. :deal You will merely need to add a tab to the front of my right Spud Strut, so it can directly contact the frame gusset, as shown below. :nod

[​IMG]

My modified, right Spud Strut will require the XR650L owner to remove the plastic tab at the bottom of the airbox, but this will not compromise the strength of the airbox. I would rather remove the airbox tab, than weld gussets onto the bike's frame. :nod

If I were going to weld, I would prefer to add a single bolt holder, such as the ones used to attach the battery box to the frame. I would weld the bolt holder to the right side of the frame, down by the muffler pipe, as shown in the following, doctored photograph. :nod

[​IMG]

Then one could bolt a straight Spud Strut on the right side, as shown below. :deal

[​IMG]

Here's a photograph simulating the installation of two, straight Spud Stuts on the frame of the bike. :nod

[​IMG]

However, as I said before, I would prefer to remove the airbox tab, and bolt directly to the existing gusset, rather than do any welding at all. :nod