TuneECU for 990 - got tunes?

Discussion in 'Dakar champion (950/990)' started by jetpoweredmonkey, Oct 31, 2010.

1. jetpoweredmonkey

jetpoweredmonkey Copilot: GSD Sharpe

Oddometer:
    Hey gang, on another thread, a helpful inmate pointed out a freeware EFI (ECU) reprogrammer called TuneECU. It is 100% free to download, the link is below. To use this software, you will need a USB to OBD2 interface as well as a couple of connectors to build a patch cable in order to plug it in to the KTM.

I've downloaded the software and ordered the parts to make the adapter cable (the adapter cable goes from the USB interface to the bike). I am not a tuner, and I don't know anything about plugging numbers into my ECU to make the bike run better, and I don't know anything about dynos. I am also absolutely uninterested in finding more power in my 990, because it already has about 60 more HP than I have room to use, most of the time. However, it also has annoying and seemingly random hesitations that I'd like to be rid of.

That said, I'd like to be able to play around with different maps without the hassle of taking the bike to the dealer, and the associated hassle of opening my wallet for a five minute operation. I'm guessing there are some other folks who probably feel the same way. What I'd like to do is collect up some tunes for experimentation. It looks like the stock and Akro (open exhaust) map tunes are available here and there on the 'net. Maybe others have had custom tunes built for their bikes on a dyno (using Tuneboy or some other software). I'd love to get my hands on some of those so I can compare maps. Whether that will end up doing me any good remains to be seen.

Some possibilities to try (maybe) - "R" tune on a standard bike - '09+ tune on an older bike. Possible? Dunno yet.

Anyway, once I get this thing up and running, I will be game for some experimenting. I'll keep you guys posted and if anyone wants to try out a different tune, you are welcome to swing by my place here in Sacramento and jack in. Not OFF.

The risk here is that the upload will be unsuccessful and turn the very expensive ECU into a brick. Somewhere I read that this can be reversed using the dealer tool, but in any case I'll do some homework before I go flashing any bikes, including my own.

Some links.

TuneECU

USB OBDII interface (or check ebay)

OBDII pigtail

KTM connector
    cbmind likes this.
  2. jetpoweredmonkey

Oddometer:
    Also - if anyone is interested to try this out and wants a patch cable, post up here. If I get some interest maybe I can order a bunch of connectors and make up a few sets.

TuneECU thread on Superduke forum if you want to read more.
  3. roundtripping

roundtripping Adventourist

Oddometer:
    I think this is exciting. I'd be interested in a cable or two.
  4. Roeligan

Roeligan Belgium power!!!

Oddometer:
    I'm interested in a cable also...
  5. viola-tor

viola-tor Needs to ride!

Oddometer:
    Very interesting... I also know next to nothing about FI programing/tuning, and I think this is one of the final stones to turn over for my 990. I'll be watching this thread develop with great interest! Proceed... :thumb
  6. Nut Clutch

Nut Clutch was Steve Lavigne

Oddometer:
    Sounds great. Tuneboy without the $$$. I'll be putting a cable together soon.

Thanks for the heads up!
  7. PowerCell

PowerCell Manufacture Super Supporter Supporter

Oddometer:
    For anyone wishing to try the TuneECU software, but unwilling to build the custom cable, I'll be building several that will be available to buy. Cost will be $30 plus USPS shipping. I don't make money on these, just want to help the TuneECU project take hold. This will also include the ODB-II cable as pictured below.

If you're interested please send me a PM with your shipping address. I'll respond with the total price.

[​IMG]

8. motorcycledave1000

motorcycledave1000 Speed Thrills

Oddometer:
    PM Sent.

Thx Powercell.
  9. Nut Clutch

Nut Clutch was Steve Lavigne

Oddometer:
    Just PMd you Powercell. Thank you for doing this! :clap
  10. nevermind

nevermind know when to fold 'em, know when to run

Oddometer:
    There are a number of 2010 KTM 990 A's running the 990 R map, mine being one of them. I've been told the 09 tunes may work on the 2010's, but I'm not going to risk confusing or making my ECU inoperative either.

I already have a KTM Tuneboy cable and I went out and plugged in. You get the same kind of stuff you see with the default Tuneboy screen and the ability to download maps. I've downloaded the EU version of the 990R map from the tuneECU site, but I'm not ready to wing it and load that puppy just yet. I'd like a copy of the US map before I go off the deep end...
  11. PowerCell

PowerCell Manufacture Super Supporter Supporter

Oddometer:

TuneECU allows you to read and save your current map prior to making changes...
  12. nevermind

Oddometer:

Beautiful!
  13. Roeligan

Roeligan Belgium power!!!

Oddometer:
    PM'd you.... (and motorcycledave1000 by accident :lol3 :huh )
  14. twodollardoug

twodollardoug the calimesa kid

Oddometer:
    ive already preped my pc3 custom maps. they are ready to import into the tuneecu. just waiting on the cable. good by power commander.
  15. grinns

grinns Semper Fi

Oddometer:
    This looks like a pretty sweet deal, but I already have a tuneboy on order.
  16. jetpoweredmonkey

Oddometer:
    Thanks PowerCell! That's mighty big of ya. Thirty bucks is a steal.

I see a couple of folks already talking about uploading their custom Power Commander tunes to their ECU. Great idea. Does anyone have a hosting site where we can start gathering tunes? Or maybe we could get the TuneECu developers to host for us. Maybe a text file for each tune, named the same as the tune file, with a bit of info on what the tune is and where it came from?
    cbmind likes this.
  17. Spark01

Spark01 V-Twin

Oddometer:
  18. jetpoweredmonkey

Oddometer:
    True, but it's hardly a complete list, and all of the tunes look to be from EU model bikes. No idea if those work in USA bikes or not.
  19. catalina38

catalina38 Long timer

Oddometer:

How is that stock "R" map working out on your non "R"?
  20. nevermind

Oddometer:
    I've got about 300 miles on it so far and no issues. The fuel economy is slightly better, but the jury is still out on seeing if it runs smoother with small throttle openings. Sometimes it is smooth as silk and other times it wants to buck. I want to get out and re-connect the O2 sensors and see if that makes a difference.

Is yours box stock, with O2 sensors connected and secondary butterflies still installed?