Yamaha RoadStar XV1700 Warrior

Discussion in 'Road Warriors' started by Jarle, Sep 10, 2012.

1. Jarle

Jarle The Warrior

Oddometer:
    A adv trip can be so many things, and for all the first trip ss a milestone. My first "road trip" was a nearly 8000km long trip in the U.S. on a HD Heritage in 2007: http://jarleeekroute66.wordpress.com/

A year later it was a long trip here in Norway on a Kawasaki VN800.

In 2011, I drove with my daughter a trip through 17 countries on my Yamaha XV1700 Road Star Warrior http://europatur2011.wordpress.com/

and in 2012 I ran the distance Norway - Turkey on the same bike. A ride on 12100km http://jarleeeknorgetyrkia.wordpress.com/

If you drive on dirt roads or asphalt, I think that all motorcycle brands can be used, but you may need to add a route on which brand you choose, and what skills you have as a driver.

For my own part, I have driven motorcycle in 10 years and is fully aware that my skills are far below what the skilled drivers can manage. But it prevents me not to look forward to the next trip :-)

I am glad to have joined this forum and hope to get lots of useful information and inspiration for future trips. The goal is 3 month trip.

[​IMG]
  2. kraven

kraven GoPro Anti-Hero Supporter

Oddometer:
    Cool. The Warrior is a neat bike. :clap

Welcome.
  3. mrbreeze

mrbreeze I keep blowing down the road

Oddometer:
    that's one sweet ride!
  4. Woland

Woland Wannabe adventurer

Oddometer:
    So you're here looking for advice on a proper bike?

Welcome:D
  5. Jarle

Jarle The Warrior

Oddometer:

I think the choice of motorcycle is going to become a BMW R 1200 GSA, but I am mainly hoping to get good tips on choosing the route the next time I'm going on a trip.

My dream is to run Alaska - Chile or Norway - Asia
  6. jersey jim

jersey jim Long timer

Oddometer:
    With a few accessories added the Warrior makes a fine bike for road trips. I'd probably choose something different if a lot of dirt/gravel was planned.

[​IMG]
  7. Jarle

Jarle The Warrior

Oddometer:

After more than 50.000km in the saddle on a Warrior, I know that it works perfectly fine on asphalt. The only negative is that I miss being able to get up and stand on the pegs and have a slightly larger fuel tank.

The goal of my next trip is to run a bit more on the gravel roads and therefore I probably choose a BMW.

But the Warrior has soul so it will not be for sale :-)
  8. jersey jim

jersey jim Long timer

Oddometer:
    I'd really like a 6th gear and another gallon or two of gas for long rides, but at least with the 4 gallon tank I get plenty of chances to get off the bike and stretch.

Have you considered the 1200 Tenere? I'm a bit of a Yamaha fan, so I find myself checking them out lately. That's the big adventure bike I'd probably buy for myself.

And yes, the Warrior does have soul, it's not just another cookie cutter cruiser. I plan to keep mine for a long time.
  9. DJGypsy

DJGypsy Ewok Taxidermist

Oddometer:
    don't get a cookie cutter bike. stay weird :freaky
  10. Jarle

Jarle The Warrior

Oddometer:
    Some roads require a different tool :-)
  11. Jarle

Jarle The Warrior

Oddometer:
    It is my opinion too :-)
  12. Jarle

Jarle The Warrior

Oddometer:
    Bought a 2001 F650GS Dakar. Works well on gravel roads, but it is too high for me when the ground is uneven. Bought therefore an F800GS which I am looking forward to use next year when the snow disappears.
  13. rauchman

rauchman Long timer

Oddometer:
    I was just talking to a riding buddy today about the Warrior, and for both of us, it's high on the list of the next bike. I'm on an SV1000S that's been modded for comfort and have had a Roadstar (non-Warrior) and SV650S. I really want something w/ comfort that has a high fun factor.

I have to ask, how do you like the bike? Do you find it still offers enough performance (engine, suspension, brakes, fun)? Can you list the pro's/con's?

Excellent ride report. Didn't understand a word of it outside of the pix descriptions, but a.m.a.z.i.n.g!
  14. bk brkr baker

bk brkr baker Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]

Some V-twin Yamahas think gravel is cake.
  15. Jarle

Jarle The Warrior

Oddometer:
    The engine is strong. You do not have to keep on changing gears all the time. With 140nm torque makes it both strong enough and fast enough to both take many other bikes in acceleration or driving past the trailers without risk. In the 4 years I have been running 55.000km (34000 miles), without any problems until the belt broke this fall. The belt was then driven 65.000km.

All technical information can be found online, so I do not need Repeat this.

It is quite possible to buy lots of stuff so you can put his own stamp on the bike. Here in Norway I have for 4 years not seen a single Warrior, you get a rare cycle with the world's coolest muffler with cool sound. There is also a bike that works well on roads with sharp turns.

When it comes to reading my blog, you may want to use chrome web browser that can translate the text into English :-)
  16. pinkius

pinkius Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]

this is my 05 Warrior with 20k, i want my handle bar to come back a little more to b more comfortable, Zoov
  17. Jarle

Jarle The Warrior

Oddometer:
  18. pinkius

pinkius Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    You got me thinking Jarle and I did buy a pair of 3 1/2 risers with 2 inches pull back a month ago and loved it
  19. Jarle

Jarle The Warrior

Oddometer:
    I rebuild my motorcycle to be a Sunday motorcycle so I have taken of my risers and put on the T-bar :-)
  20. JerryH

JerryH Vintage scooter/motorcycle enthusiast Supporter

Oddometer:
    The Warrior is my favorite of the "muscle cruisers" (Warrior, VTX1800, Mean Streak, ME109) but I have to admit that to me the stock exhaust is the best looking part on it. It literally makes the bike. Most used Warriors have had this beautiful pipe replaced by a pair of those ugly long skinny "long shots"