KTM 640 Adventure owners, sign in please...

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by creeper, Feb 20, 2004.

1. Gregidy

Gregidy Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    did you spin the cables to the bottom of the bar ??
  2. fastlane1

fastlane1 Catching up with my past

Oddometer:
    I have a starting problem. My 2005 640 Adventure will NOT fire at all.:cry

Story is as follows: Ignition fuse blew on the highway and engine died.
    Trailered the bike home after blowing 4 more 10Amp ignition fuses at the side of the highway. Engine would fire and the fuse would blow so i suspected an electrical short.

I parked the bike for 8 months and never touched it until now. I found two worn through wires under the dash that I repaired. Starter turns engine over but it will not start. (So that fuse is not blowing now)
    Opened carb and cleaned it, set valves, drained fuel, installed new spark plug (yes there is a spark). I even used an easy engine start Ether spray in the airbox and got a few loud bang backfires.
    Battery is new. Just will not start?

Could the spark not be strong enough? Maybe the timing is way out? Bike was running very well until that day it died on the highway. Has 50 000km on it.
    Any advice is appreciated :-)
  3. enduro0125

enduro0125 Sticks and Stones™..

Oddometer:
    Getting fuel?
  4. skibum69

skibum69 slave to gravity Supporter

Oddometer:
    just started to get back to mine since it's been sitting neglected from having the subframe welded last October, poor little thing, got the first coat of paint on
    [​IMG]
  5. bigboyxl

bigboyxl Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    not yet. I've thought about this one, but I think they will be more vulnerable if i do so... correct me if I'm wrong
  6. bigboyxl

Oddometer:
    nice price, but when I found them on ebay, it is said that no international orders - for a pity
  7. Ol'Muley

Ol'Muley old, not dead

Oddometer:
    check their website it says call or email for international orders--GIT R DONE!!!
    :clap
  8. bigboyxl

Oddometer:
    great! :clap
    thnx for the info :freaky
  9. ChuckHazzard

ChuckHazzard Registered Lurker

Oddometer:
    The corn state,11 curves in 318 miles (Iafalls IA)
    You don't need to spin them all the way around. Just put the cables behind the mirror stem.

[​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  10. Gregidy

Gregidy Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    im sure this topic has bean beaten to death but the search sucks!!!.

Question I have an 05 adventure does the smc silencer fit and does it flow more ??
    I dont like loud pipes but the adventures is huge and bottled up.

I searched using 640 adventure -slip on
    -smc
    -silencer
    and just am pipes showed up sorry in advance :dhorse
  11. gunnerbuck

gunnerbuck Island Hopper

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]
    If it looks like this then yes it does fit... They are loud but I did some modifications that worked well to quiet it down:http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=732362&page=3
  12. Gregidy

Gregidy Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    cool thanks !!
  13. Dustydude

Dustydude Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hi Gang-

New 640A owner here in Phx area. Thrilled with the new purchase from Feb and have been having a blast getting to know the bike. It's on 06 w/ about 13k miles on it, but the previous owner maintained this thing to the T! Its got a full service history with meticulous records and the whole bit. It had a 38T on the rear and did a lot of highway miles, so it's been transformed to handle my riding style w/ a 47T rear, knobbies, etc.

After a few shakedown rides getting used to the feel, I finally ran it hard in the dirt last weekend for about 75 miles and had an absolute blast. I'm getting used to the Scotts stabilizer and learning how to use it...it really does make a difference! :clap I've owned XRs and DRs and a KLR...the 640 is THE way to go!! It really is balanced and weighted beautifully.

I've got a few questions:

1. Is the Chris dude in the UK still making the tank guards? I emailed his yahoo acct and never heard back. I need guards...I will spill eventually and don't want massive scrapes or a puncture from a big rock. I've ruled out the Hepco guards, but not entirely.

2. I have what I believe is the stock exhaust muffler/pipe. I believe its a S-trap ISD2 and appears to be in really good shape. I'm looking to possibly unload that and fund a new tank bag. What's a reasonable price for a used one in great shape?

3. I have the KTM sxc competition exhaust and its a bit quiet for my preference. Would going with a whole new pipe (Leo Vince etc) be my best bet to gain db? I don't like cruising silently in someone's blind spot. I prefer to be heard.

4. Why is the GD'd chain so tricky to get just right? Mine is either too tight or smacking the forward most chair guard bolt under heavy load & chain sag. If I adjust per the manual and create no gap betwen the swing arm bottom and chain, it is a hair on the loose side. I've been futzing w/ it since I bought it. Thank goodness for the center stand.

I think that's it. I'm super happy with the bike and look forward to enjoying it.

Cheers-
  14. Earthscape

Earthscape Have ya got a helmut?

Oddometer:
    Anyone know of a source for the blue front fender of the 1999/2000 US models, or something close enough in color that would fit and not look ridiculous? It seems like there are no more from KTM, and I haven't found anything aftermarket either.
    Similarly, I have heard from long ago that 2001 - 2007 rear plastic would fit on the '99/'00 models (being an all or none deal). Has anyone ever actually done this? My original plastic is still okay, but it's a bit faded and won't last forever for sure.
  15. liferider

liferider Never It's enough

Oddometer:
    DustyDude, welcome to the brotherhood...:freaky
    I can only try to help you with this item (since I have the stock exhaust and I know nothing about that issue :cry):

4. I also have been fooling around with the chain tension when I bought my bike. I didn't like how it makes me feel it's loose, following the User's Manual procedure, but... some of the masters here told me the slapping is unavoidable and "better loose than tight" in order to preserve the countershaft health... Sooo... I hate that slapping, but apparently there is no way to avoid it, other than a soundless dualsport helmet and a good offroad ride :lol3
    Yes, no good news, but the rest of the bike is just great...
  16. Pete640

Pete640 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Which fender are you after and what do you refer to as a fender, front screen? (Pic link?)
  17. skibum69

Oddometer:
    black goes with everything:lol3
  18. Jawk

Jawk Im lost again.

Oddometer:
    Ive got one of these tanks and seat in the garage - apparently fits the 640adv, but ive never tried. Ive got a 250exc-e for the dirt stuff so dont feel the need. Let me know if its of interest and I'll look at selling...
    Cheers

19. skibum69

Oddometer:
    do you have a rear fender? I really need one for my 640A
  20. Dustydude

Dustydude Adventurer

Oddometer:
    @ Liferider-thanks for the tip and welcome. I've certainly gone on the loose end of the spectrum and also believe a set of ear plugs will do the trick. I'm overly paranoid of getting it too tight...I think that's whats bothering me. I replaced the hex head bolt that holds the chain guard on with a sleek botton cap allen bolt in hopes to lower the seat height and possibly duck below the chain. I painted the top of the bolt w/ some nail polish so I could see how much rub its actually getting...its really not much. I'm okay with the bolt getting chewed up every 1000 miles or so but I don't want to damage the chain.

I've been watching the flea market for used pipes in hopes to get a feel for price but haven't seen anything. I don't think the stocker is worth much...maybe $100 bucks or so. It certainly is no Leo Vince etc...that sucker is heavy! I'm reading up on re-packing pipes...may be a project in my future.

You're right, the bike is a joy to ride...:clap