Roundabout Rabun and points beyond

Discussion in 'Southeast, The Lair of the Dragon - The Blue Ridge' started by DirtDabber, Feb 15, 2009.

1. DirtDabber

DirtDabber cultural illiterate

Oddometer:
    This started as a ride report with pictures, maps, mileage, turns and directions. (I even stopped and bought a 62 cent notebook for notes), However the day quickly deteriorated into a loosely planned exploration. Typical for me. Just see where the road goes. :deal

So, here we go, a journey of pictures and places in Rabun County GA and the surrounding area. If you have anything to add throw it in here as well.
  2. DirtDabber

Oddometer:
    I wanted to explore the roads in the southeastern part of Rabun County. It is an area of the county that I haven't spent much time but knew there were some good roads that were in need of being ridden.

I had a Building and Grounds Committee meeting that I had to go to right after early church and knew I had to either have a short ride or split my ride and go to church in full riding gear.

I made sure the riding boots had the mud knocked off before I went inside. :wink:

After service a gentleman in his 80's came up and wanted to look at the bike and talk about his riding days long ago. :thumb

The batteries for the camera were dead so no pictures in the early morning but a stop at Wal Mart cured that.

Near Tallulah Gorge State Park.

[​IMG]

After bypassing the multi million dollar tourist, I mean interpretive center I got to the good stuff.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Lake Tugalo

[​IMG]

Heading North from the park.

[​IMG]
  3. DirtDabber

Oddometer:
    One thing about the Forest Service in Rabun County. They don't like connecting roads, so be prepared for a lot of dead ends. There are some good roads nonetheless.

This road was pretty fun.

[​IMG]

Every once in a while there is a bit of interesting history lost in the woods.

[​IMG]

This guy must have been pretty special.

[​IMG]

There were only 8 gravesites here and all the rest of the headstones looked like this.

[​IMG]
  4. DirtDabber

Oddometer:
    I almost drove right by this. Actually I did then turned around and had a look.

This is a leftover part of a railroad tressle from years ago.

[​IMG]

Got to partake in some twisties.

[​IMG]

Found this guy walking across the road and stopped for a closer look. He was very cautious crossing the road but when he got to the brush he bolted.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Almost home for the day.

[​IMG]

More later.
  5. Willbilly

Willbilly Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Might he have been the only Veteran (Confederate) of the group? The Sons of Confederate Veterans regularly maintains gravesites (as well as some whole cemetaries) for veterans.

ps good work, keep it coming!
  6. DirtDabber

Oddometer:

That is what I gathered. (A family cemetary) I googled his name and came up empty but did get a log of the troup movements. I will try and get more info just to add to the story.

edit

Muster Roll of Company F, 52nd Regiment

Georgia Volunteer Infantry

Rabun County, Georgia

"Beauregard Braves"

Kirby, Ham

The spelling is different but that is typical for much of what I have found in this area. If you go back many of the names change slightly due to mistakes in govt. records.

Looking at the names in the regiment; http://www.geocities.com/Pentagon/Bunker/6739/GA52F.html most of the names are common here today.
  7. flux_capacitor

flux_capacitor I know a shortcut!

Oddometer:
    Cool Clay, I like where this is going...

...now show us that water crossing! :deal :lol3
  8. SuchesRider

SuchesRider Just Do It! Supporter

Oddometer:
    Looks like a good area for the next DOG ride....?:ear DirtDabber, how come you did not ride the DRZ? SR
  9. DirtDabber

Oddometer:

I started the day doing a more street oriented ride. I left really early so it was still cold and the KLR offers more wind protection. :deal

But as usual the ride quickly evolved to dirt and there were more than a few places I was wishing for knobbies rather than nearly worn out Gripsters aka slipsters.
  10. DirtDabber

Oddometer:
    Patience please. I would have to ride 20 miles to get there. :lol3
  11. phideaux

phideaux Long timer Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    That "on the way home" pic looks like old 441 close to where it intersects with big 441. ????
    And that pheasant pics looks to be on the same road???
  12. flux_capacitor

Oddometer:
    Patience is NOT a virtue I posses. :D

So while I wait (patiently) I will contribute to your mighty fine thread. :nod

With some water crossings of my own. :ricky

Sarah's Creek Rd is good fun, although every time I go out there none of the gates are open and it dead ends. Still, it's a pretty long fun road with several creeks to cross... none as big as the first one. Just watch for campers through here during peak season.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  13. Jman955i

Jman955i Falls Down A Lot

Oddometer:
    Augusta/Washington, GA....Sometimes Roanoke VA

Is this part of the old Tallulah Falls Railroad?
  14. Jman955i

Jman955i Falls Down A Lot

Oddometer:
    Augusta/Washington, GA....Sometimes Roanoke VA

Yeah that is a fun road. Too bad the best part dead ends.
  15. flux_capacitor

Oddometer:
    This is one of my favorite campsites. We nicknamed it the 'Dog Fucker Site' because of some local that came by camp one night and mentioned fucking his dog multiple times. There's more to it than that, but that's the summary of it.

Here's Top Dog toting his XR250 across to the camp site which is off of Pool Creek Rd. It's a well hidden site that all the locals seem to know about. :lol3 Oh yeah, Rangers, too. :ricky

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  16. DirtDabber

Oddometer:
    It is along Stekoa Creek so my thinking is it is a from one of the logging railroads. Tallulah falls railroad paralled 441 for the most part.

Looks like I am going have to brush up on my history to ride in my backyard. :deal
  17. DirtDabber

Oddometer:
    The phesant pic is on the same road. I took the pic of the bike as I was walking back from checking out the phesant.

The green sign in the background says "This is the best curvy road in the state of Georgia" :thumb so it in not old 441. :1drink
  18. DirtDabber

Oddometer:
    Tiger Food Mart.

[​IMG]

Located in downtown Tiger. :1drink

It doesn't look like much from the outside but they serve some great tenderloin biscuits in the morning and one of the best hamburgers around at lunch. Especially the Bacon Cheeseburger.

[​IMG]
  19. Willy-B

Willy-B onebudwiser

Oddometer:
    I've camped and fished / hunted just to the right of your bike, very peaceful place.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    I can't believe you remembered that picture. Lucky got front page ADV that weekend with this one I had forgotten about.
    [​IMG]

Take note of the guy in the back ground looking.:lol3 Remember, this was January in the mountains.:deal
  20. DirtDabber

Oddometer:

They had a sign up for no camping in the parking area. I guess someone wasn't so peaceful and ruined it for everyone.

My boys are getting old enough to do an overnight canoe trip. This may be a good spot to launch for the weekend. :nod