Lets see your air rifles?

Discussion in 'Shiny Things' started by Hodag, May 2, 2009.

1. chipgibbs

chipgibbs ChipG

Oddometer:
    Sorry, Its not a Tasco....It's a Bushnell "Trophy". I like it because the red dot has 2 sizes as well as crosshair and variable brightness. IIRC, it was around $100.
    Less expensive Red Dot sites have a larger Dot which hides the target.

PS I keep all my PCPs full, this keeps the seals from drying out and shrinking. On the CO2 guns, the cartridges have a lubricant in them to keep the seals healthy, as long as you get crossman CO2 cartridges.
  2. P B G

P B G Long timer

Oddometer:
    Did you stipple that grip yourself or was the stock that way when you got it?

Looks very nice.
  3. chipgibbs

chipgibbs ChipG

Oddometer:
    The stock was a DIY by Jim Maccari. I finnished it and did the stipling with a dremmel tool. There is also some inlay on the bottom and a knee brace that hangs down below the forend.[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  4. gambrinus

gambrinus http://www.shrinershq.org

Oddometer:
    I have one of those in my closet right now. 5mm got in in '78 or 79 I just need to find someone to replace the seals and it'll be ready to hand down to my son.

RW
  5. koifarm

koifarm Twas ever thus!

Oddometer:
    An old indian trick with traps, assuming you're using rat traps, is to put three traps together in a "T" form, triggers together, and use pecans as bait. Make a small slit in the pecan, crack it slightly, and shove the metal trigger in the slit firmly attaching the nut to the triggers. You'll get them that way.....if not put four traps in a square with triggers on the inside.
  6. chipgibbs

chipgibbs ChipG

Oddometer:
    This is my Sheridan dated about 1968. Check out the original scope, its a
    Western Field 4 x 15.

[​IMG]
  7. McNeal

McNeal Long timer

Oddometer:
    Hmm, I'll try that. I've used both the non-lethal traps and the big rat traps. The non-lethal traps only got the the young ones as the older squirrels knew to reach in from the side and get the peanut butter. I used the rat trap a couple of times and only once caught a squirrel. While I gladly kill a squirrel if its chewing up my house I'm not going to be cruel about it. The squirrel that was caught wasn't killed straight away. The trap caught the squirrel across the shoulders. I didn't know squirrels could scream like that. I ran out with my pellet gun and put one in the back of its head. I'll try your "T" idea and have the pellet gun ready.
  8. Hay Ewe

Hay Ewe Just a Wannabe

Oddometer:
    all I can talk about is from my experinec in the UK a few years ago.
    in the UK the max power for an air rifle is 12 ft/lbs.
    as a .22 pellet is heavier than a .177, the .22 will have a lower vlocity than the .177 but as it is heavier, it packs the same punch, 12 ft/lb

so, for stopping power of vermin (rabbits / rats / birds) the .22 is the best.

for long distance the .177 is better. because it flies faster, it travels further before hitting the ground (due to the effects of gravity) and hence has a flatter trajectory. for a .22 the further away the more compensation you have to give it i.e. aim higher

but

a .177 is affected more by wind and blades of grass etc.

the .177 will have the same stopping power (12 ft/lbs) as the .22
    I found that the .177 woudl penetrate right through rabbits where as the /22 would not exit. remember the old boys talking about the stopping power of the 7.62 Nato as opposed to the 5.56 Nato, its the same.

I would some times shoot clay pigeons with my .177 and the center part, the .177 pellet would often pass through with out it breaking the clay the .22 would break it every time. (they would be propped up against a fence or wall - not flying!)

My .177 had a power of about 9.5 ft/lb but the fps was constant to within +/- 10 fps. The .22 was bang on 11.9 and similar consistancy.

there is a formula for working out the ft/lbs - I cant remember what it is.

like so many things, the more you pay, the better the quality - as long as it is designed for the task - no point in getting a paper taget rifle for shooting verming, not really appropraite.

I got out of air rifles just before pre-charged started getting popular, bu my choice would be a spring gun (or gas ram - Theoben) and I had good expericnes with Air Arms - the pro sport looked like a proper rifle too.

I had scopes on mine, but neiter were set up for open sights. If I was getting in to air rifles again, I wouldn't consider getting one with open sights, a sign of cheapness (unless it was a paper puncher type)

recomendatations - Air Arms Pro-sport or Weirauch
  9. Cumminsman76

Cumminsman76 befuddled

Oddometer:
    I was at an auction yesterday. There was a Benjerman like the OP's but blued new in the box. Three hundred and seventy five bucks.:huh
  10. z@ch

z@ch Turn it up to eleven

Oddometer:
    Any Sheridan experts in here?

I've got a late '71, early '72 Blue streak that I'd like to learn more about.

I don't have any pictures yet, but my main question is regarding the stock. Mine has a checkered grip and it has a more contoured thumb hold than any other ones I've seen.

It was my dad's, but sadly I can't get the history from him.
  11. docwells7

docwells7 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Air Arms TX200 left handed action in a right handed action. The guy I bought it from preferred loading from the left side, and not knowing any better, I didn't find it a problem. Really accurate...wish I was...:lol3

[​IMG]

I also have an IZH 46 just to punch holes in my basement in a homemade silent trap. Boy is that a humbling exercise. This is not my photo, I borrowed it from a search on smugmug.

[​IMG]

I also have an IZH 60 rifle. It's flimsy as hell, but surprisingly accurate considering it has a loose fitting five shot inline magazine. I will say this...it is one of the funnest little guns I own. Also mostly for plinking and hole punching in the basement.
    [​IMG]This is another borrowed image from google, but you get the picture...the only difference is I got a peep sight that really improved my accuracy, otherwise stock.

Seriously considering a blued Benjamin...:tb
  12. Aurelius

Aurelius Long timer

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]

Fired this test group off hand at 15 meters:

[​IMG]
  13. z@ch

z@ch Turn it up to eleven

Oddometer:
    Just shot my blue streak for the first time last night.

I'm hitting 3/4" circles pretty consistently already. This thing is FUN to shoot.

that pumping/single shot thing is kinda a PIA though. :lol3
  14. Anglewood

Anglewood Has a fake Mustache

Oddometer:
    My first air rifle was a Red Ryder BB gun. I have shot thousands of rounds through it to the point that I barely have to aim using the sights. About two years later, I got a Beeman HW-30 Break action and have also gone through thousands of rounds. It may be a "budget" gun for some (about $170 in 1990) but has kept many birds out of the orchard and is still fun to plink with when back home. I don't have a pic handy, but I am sure I will pass that gun down to my future kids when the time comes.

Lates,

Connor
  15. Old_Lion

Old_Lion Crotchety Biker

Oddometer:
    See post #58 below
  16. straightrod

straightrod Long timer

Oddometer:
    ^ What a fine video from NRA. Do firearms of any kind make a difference in ones life - absolutely.
  17. Old_Lion

Old_Lion Crotchety Biker

Oddometer:
    When searching Google with:

site:www.advrider.com airsoft

one is presented with numerous posts and threads relating to
    balancing tires with Airsoft BBs.

I did notice a brief discussion at
    http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=539582

which ended three years ago in January of 2010 with thirteen posts.

One of my grandsons has been playing Milsims (military simulations).
    As a result I have become interested in Airsoft rifles and handguns.

Consequently I purchased on Ebay a used Tokyo Marui M9 replica springer pistol.
    [​IMG]

I have owned air rifles and pistols for 66 years (since age 12).

Never been one to spend fortunes on anything.
    So my limited possessions are:

Daisy Powerline 717 Spring Pistol
    http://www.daisy.com/node/70

Daisy Powerline 917 Multipump Rifle
    This one seems to have made it into the National Firearms Museum.
    LINK

Sheridan Bluestreak
    Crosman claims that they have sold this rifle for over four decades.
    LINK
    That seems a bit of a stretch to me.
    I ordered the gun from the Sheridan factory in Wisconsin.
    Benjamin bought the company in 1977.
    Crosman acquired it in 1992.

History of the Company LINK

They have stood up without failing since I bought them decades ago.

I must say that the more I learn about Airsoft the more I am leaning toward
    expanding into the Airsoft arsenal.

The Tokyo Marui M9 replica makes for easy and unobtrusive practice.
    Before breakfast shooting from the kitchen door a few rounds at a target in the yard keeps one's
    muscle memory intact.

George
  18. Old_Lion

Old_Lion Crotchety Biker

Oddometer:
    <iframe allowfullscreen="" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/-pqFyKh-rUI?rel=0" frameborder="0" height="360" width="640"></iframe>

Be it said that without this Girandoni Air Rifle the expedition might have ended in tragedy.

Some interesting facts about the Girandoni Rifle
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Girandoni_Air_Rifle

The Girandoni air rifle was an important first. It was the first repeating rifle of any kind
    to see military service. It was one of the first uses of a tubular magazine.
    And, although it saw service for only 35 years, it predated and was more advanced
    in design and mechanical technology than the Henry rifle which arrived fifty years later.

Historical background and research LINK

Additional LINK
    By Robert D. Beeman Ph.D

See section entitled:
    [FONT=&quot]Evidence Area 2: Number of Shots Per Air Charge[/FONT]

George
  19. chipgibbs

chipgibbs ChipG

Oddometer:
    How come a modern day air rifle can't get 40 shots on an 800psi fill? And why can't a modern day air rifle shoot 20 shots in 32 seconds? And it doesn't even make a report or make smoke?
    I have many air rifles and none of mine can do any of this.....

I hate to say but, I'm pretty sure somebody's got their facts mixed up
  20. Old_Lion

Old_Lion Crotchety Biker

Oddometer:
    http://www.army.mil/article/27314/army-officers-journals-and-an-air-rifle/

Quote:
    "An air rifle believed to have been on the Lewis and Clark expedition, now owned by the U.S. Army Heritage and Education Center, Carlisle, Pa., is currently on display at the Pentagon."

http://www.army.mil/article/15180/army-opens-living-history-exhibit-at-pentagon/
    WASHINGTON (Army News Service, Dec. 15, 2008

Quote:
    " The Girandoni Air Rifle: Designed and manufactured in Vienna, Austria in the 1780s, the weapon fits the description of the air rifle taken by the Corps of Discovery on their expedition in 1803-1806. The rifle has the marks of use and repairs consistent with the descriptions in the Lewis and Clark journals."

George