Is my engine repairable? Adventure from Alaska

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by Joevano, Jan 5, 2013.

1. Joevano

Joevano Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hi guys, long time no post. My Alaska trip ended badly last year so I've been hiding from my DR and the disappointment of it. Long story short, on my way back from Alaska, with the throttle pegged in fourth gear, passing a truck, my master link let go and the chain jammed up against the back of the case. The engine died immediately and I coasted to the shoulder. I was able to get a ride home (2200 miles) in the back of a trailer.

I finally pulled the DR into the shop today to assess the situation. Attached are a couple pics of the damage. I'm hoping the case can be gently coaxed back into correct alignment, and the cracked rib welded. I will take it to a local engine shop to get their opinion on Monday. Anyone care to comment?

The other problem might be fourth gear itself. I drained the oil and found no abnormal chunks on the magnetic drain plug. With the oil and spark plugs out, I spun the rear wheel through all the gears and it seems like there is a slight catch or clunk in fourth.

Really, really, really depressed about this :sad:

Well I can't figure out how to post pictures so here's a link.

https://joevanorsdol.smugmug.com/Other/PhotoSync/23839483_NCxC8M#!i=2306162918&k=DbFDsgm

Well I can't figure out how to post pictures. I'll keep working on it.
  2. strongbad

strongbad Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Can't see any pics so no comment about whether it can be repaired. Clip-on master link give out? That happened to me once and it does knock the gumption right out of you. You have my sympathy if that helps.
  3. Hurricane Bob

Hurricane Bob Long timer

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  4. jkm

jkm Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I'd be surprised if you can't fix that. I know guys who would use JB weld for the cracked case, and if they couldn't straighten the 'bend', get in there with a dremel to make some room to keep that gear from rubbing. It looks like it has rubbed, but can't tell if it's touching now. If that gear spun around a couple times, it would probably grind away any of the case it's touching. There's a 'white area' just under that one gear and it looks like it may have already ground away some of the case right there. You didn't mention if you'd tried to start the bike since the damage. Anyway, good luck, and let us know how you make out.....jkm
  5. Hurricane Bob

Hurricane Bob Long timer

Oddometer:
  6. Switchblade315

Switchblade315 I make people disappear

Oddometer:
    worst case you'll have to find a use case half on E-bay. but that looks fixable with a little work.
  7. NJ-Brett

NJ-Brett Brett Supporter

Oddometer:
    I think I would have put a new chain on it and rode it home.
    If its not leaking oil. you are good to go.
    If it is, JB weld.
  8. G600

G600 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Sorry to see that. Bummer.

I would at least get a good welder to take a look before doing anything else. It surely needs to be welded with the side cover on, or the bolt holes wont line up. That also might take care of the sprocket clearance problem.

I have had a few engine side covers welded, all were aluminum and all the repairs were fine. I once had a magnesium crankcase welded, that also turned out fine.

Good luck.
  9. Rot Box

Rot Box Diesel and Dust

Oddometer:
    Bevel the crack a little with a file or dremel, sand it down, clean it with acetone and add some JB weld. Based off what I see in the pics (not load supporting/critical to integrity etc..) I'm confident that it would hold for as long as you own the bike.

EDIT: Or have it tig welded that's your best bet. I would not replace the case.
  10. Joevano

Joevano Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the optimism guys, I need all I can get right now. I have started the bike since then and it did dribble.

I've been told (by a professional mech) that you cannot replace half a case. The cases are drilled for the crank as one case and then cut in half. If you replace half, things will not line up and it will leak. That's why they are sold as a set.
  11. kickstand

kickstand Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Sorry to hear about the bad luck bet you can get that straighten and welded with out much issue. Take your time and ask the welder lots of questions. I think my biggest concern would be if the weld is going to take with oil in and around the crack. Looking fwd to see how this comes out. Best of luck PS. did you do a ride report?
  12. Foot dragger

Foot dragger singletracker

Oddometer:
    It doesnt look to be in that crucial of a spot,I would tap it back in alignment till the outer case will screw back on,then weld or epoxy it till it doesnt leak. Easy to say from here with a beer in hand but its worth a try. Epoxy done right is very tough stuff and has held back leaks for years on my trail bikes.
  13. fallingoff

fallingoff Banned

Oddometer:
    Hi

I have had 2 cases welded, same reason.
    the oil will sometimes work its way out onto the chain.
    therefore on the rear tire.
    there is a product that you paint on the inside of the case to stop this.
    but with age and other things i can not remember the name.
    Hope that some other inmate can chime in with the product name.

cheers

qqq
  14. Joevano

Joevano Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Let me clarify something. The leak dod NOT come from the crack. The crack is only in the rib.

The leak came from the slight misalignment between the bent crankcase and the cover.
  15. sieg

sieg Wearing out tires......2 at a time, day after day. Supporter

Oddometer:
    Then you should have rode it home.:deal

But anyway it's an easy fix, weld it or epoxy it, grind out for gear clearance, true the gasket fit, no worries.:freaky
  16. Zecatfish

Zecatfish XTique Rider

Oddometer:
    I was told the same thing about ,y Rotax Powered ATK, 260...
    They sell them in pairs.
    I chanced it and used 1/2 a case on it and never looked back. It never game me a minutes problem after that.
  17. JensEskildsen

JensEskildsen Long timer

Oddometer:
    Seems like a roadside repair to me, shouldn't cause you much grief. You were lucky.
  18. jules083

jules083 Long timer

Oddometer:

Even better. Prep the crack, JB weld. I'd use some gasket maker on the cover and see what happens. Sometimes that stuff will work wonders.
  19. RideFreak

RideFreak Torque Junky

Oddometer:
    If you replace the case, get both, they are lined bored as a pair (essently matched) when new even though you can purchase a half from suzuki.
  20. gdenn

gdenn Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I was reading your report on the trip last year and was wondering if you fell off the earth after you got home. I also ride a dr650 but let me preface this by admitting I rode a KLR. So hell no that engine isnt ruined. I"d try and BUMP the case back in line, If it doesnt move back in place, I"d clearance the inside so that the gear clears and jb weld it. New gasket and gasket sealer and ride that sucker back to Alaska next year.