Hampton Roads Chatter

Discussion in 'Southeast, The Lair of the Dragon - The Blue Ridge' started by roger123, Dec 25, 2008.

1. B.E. Coyote

B.E. Coyote (Super-Genius)

Oddometer:
    Looks like the Wee XT uses the same rims. It's minor but it is the only thing that has given me a problem on the bike.
  2. poondangle

poondangle Slow

Oddometer:
    Is there anyone local that vapor blasts?
  3. BlakKrauStudios

BlakKrauStudios I'm cool... right?

Oddometer:
    Another plug for the Tourmaster Transition 3 here as well. I had a series 2 that I bought brand new, and wore out. All my zippers had been replaced with keychain rings, and most of the Velcro had been glued back on or sewn back on at least twice. Loved that jacket.

So when the time came, I replaced it with the series 3. FANTASTIC piece of clothing. And you can't beat the price. I got mine over at motorcyclegear.com for $180. Can't beat what you get for what you pay.

And while I can't speak for the Transition jacket, I can say that the Coaster 2 leather jacket, and Injector gloves crash very well. Just replaced that jacket with the next series as well.
  4. ezflyr

ezflyr More Dirt/Mud!!

Oddometer:
    Is it possible to dual sport ride on the roads through the Great Dismal Swamp?
  5. poondangle

poondangle Slow

Oddometer:
    No
  6. ezflyr

ezflyr More Dirt/Mud!!

Oddometer:
    That sucks!!!
  7. poondangle

poondangle Slow

Oddometer:
    Best you can do is the short gravel roads to the parking lots
  8. HooDini

HooDini Hootie Hoo Supporter

Oddometer:
    You can ride to Lake Drumond on Railroad Ditch Road. About 5 miles of gravel to the lake. You have to stop & get a self service permit. The trail closes at 3:00, if I am not mistaken.Closed Sunday IIRC.
  9. MGB

MGB ex. BmwDuc

Oddometer:
    you can spend the entire weekend riding dirt/gravel in GWNF, it's only a few hours away.

10. BlakKrauStudios

Oddometer:
    I still need to get up there some day. Maybe take a weekend trip and try camp... find a hotel at night.
  11. MGB

MGB ex. BmwDuc

Oddometer:
    I've found KOA's reliably good for tent camping or Camping Cabins. This one is in a great spot near miles and miles of dirt forest roads. Just a thought.....

12. phillyrube

phillyrube Leading Chief

Oddometer:
    Any welders? My PC has a set of driving lights on it, cobbled together using a CB radio bracket and some strap steel. Steel is a little wobbly, lights like to jiggle a bit (jiggle is ok, gets attention:D), and also a little flimsy. During the Poe's ride one of the guys got off his bike and kicked one of the lights (dismount on the HIGH side :evil) which was easily readjusted..no harm, no foul. Thought I could build something out of beefier aluminum or modify an existing PIAA universal mount.
  13. ezflyr

ezflyr More Dirt/Mud!!

Oddometer:
    Yep, I am planning a trip to Petersmill/Tasker Gap in the near future. Should be fun!!:D
  14. lesthemess

lesthemess Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I guess it was my turn. Wednesday, I was rear ended on my 1150r at Cook Rd. and Goosley Rd. I ended up with scrapes and bruises, bike is probably going to be totaled. Glad it wasn't worse....

Be careful out there everyone!
  15. dljocky

dljocky Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Glad you didn't get hurt worse than you did!

16. roger123

roger123 Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Did a few hundred miles in northern GA last weekend, Dragon, HWY 28, Wolf Pen Gap (HWY 181) and others. Man, there's good roads in that area. Different vibe though as I did it in the cage. Audi Club of GA puts on a Quattro De-Mayo "ride" every year. 90 cars with about a 150 participants, great time, The Ridges Resort is highly recommended.

Some of the group:

[​IMG]

Wife's TT in front on the north end of the Dragon:

[​IMG]

20 Audis and a KLR in the background, LOL!
  17. BlakKrauStudios

Oddometer:
    Glad you're ok, Less. I ride through there pretty regularly.

Oh, and just as an FYI to anyone in the York County/17 area, The widening project from 134 to Wolf Trap is kicking into high gear. WATCH FOR CONSTRUCTION. My guys have had SEVERAL close calls from people not paying attention, and not obeying the 35mph speed limit. State Police and York County Sheriff are both patrolling the area REGULARLY. I really don't want to see any of my guys hurt, and I don't want a driver to have to live with that either.

Remember, you can always take Jefferson Avenue up to Denbigh or Ft. Eustis to bypass, or take the back roads if you're looking for something more scenic.

Thanks!
  18. Weldman

Weldman Long timer

Oddometer:
  19. HooDini

HooDini Hootie Hoo Supporter

Oddometer:
    Put the new Ohlins on the back of the V-Strom today. WOW!!! I didn''t know the stock suspension was so inadequate for my tonnage. The ride is very much improved. Heeding the advice of many of you, I am going to look into fork improvements.

Many thanks to Bob (O'Kennon), for the use of the lift, shop, tools and all the help.
  20. BlakKrauStudios

Oddometer:
    So I found a gravel road near where I live, where I figure I can practice my off-road riding. The road is well groomed, but has a few potholes and ruts to avoid.

I can successfully ride, on average, about 23 mph without pooping my pants or getting uneasy, which leads me to believe that people who ride faster must be missing that part of my brain that believes in self-preservation. :D I just don't know how you guys do it. :huh

I did, however, manage to find a nice quiet pond to gain my composure and think about how to go about getting home.

[​IMG]