Honda NX125/150/200 Enthusiast's Thread

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by Bronco638, Oct 5, 2011.

1. Bronco638

Bronco638 Nobody Home

Oddometer:
    Owner's & enthusiast's are free to post questions, experiences, modifications and various other knowledge about these neat little thumpers. The NX150/200 is not a US model. So, we'll be relying on our friends from non-US countries to contribute. I've started a blog regarding my NX125 and how it is as a commuter. You can find my blog here.

Here are some (small) pictures of my NX from March 2011:

[​IMG] [​IMG]
  2. jan.van.gent

jan.van.gent Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Here is mine:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

It's an italian imported nx125. On my papers it says it's from 1993, but i think it's a 1989 model, imported to Belgium in 1993.
    Major Taylor likes this.
  3. Bronco638

Bronco638 Nobody Home

Oddometer:
    We have slightly different speedometers but I don't have the tachometer (there's a plastic 'box' there instead). If you ever have to remove the tach, let me know what color wire(s) run to it. I'd like to see if my wiring harness has the wires so I could look for a Honda tach. I'm using a TTO unit now (digital) and it works OK but loses some sensitivity at low RPM. Let me know how your tire search goes. I would agree that it's an 1989 or 90 model. My '88 did not come with the factory rear rack (they didn't with the rack, until '89, in the US). Interestingly, my frame is Honda silver and I do not have the "electric start" wording on the side covers. Are you missing the stamped sheet metal engine guard? It also looks like your tank fairings and rear fender are slightly different.
  4. Leo.G

Leo.G Is still learning

Oddometer:
    Don't forget me!

[​IMG]

Right now I'm thinking about changing the transmision and then doing some work on the bones of the monoshock..

Greetings!
  5. jan.van.gent

Oddometer:
    Hi there,

What do you mean with transmission? The distribution chain?

I'm currently looking for a lizard skin for my front shock. The original dust cover is in bad shape.

Something like this:
    [​IMG]
    I used to have it on my Mountainbike.
  6. jan.van.gent

Oddometer:
    I'l let you know when i dissassemble the unit :1drink
  7. Bronco638

Bronco638 Nobody Home

Oddometer:
    Never!!

jan: I was thinking of getting some fork skins for my TransAlp. However, the 1990 TA fork boots are still available (black only) so I bought a set of those instead. I'll see if I can locate some skins that will fit the NX. 35mm forks, yes?

What bike is that in the pic you posted? Africa Twin (based on the paint scheme)?
  8. jan.van.gent

Oddometer:
    Yes! africa twin.

I used to have lizard skins on my mountainbike, but i can't seem to find lizard skins for larger diameter forks.
  9. Leo.G

Leo.G Is still learning

Oddometer:
    Did I ever told you that you're great? jej!

I'll also need fork boots, but first the things I've already mentioned...
    What is that "Lizard skin" exactly?

When I say "Transmision" I refer to the chain that moves the rear wheel (428) and the front (Piñón, here in Argentina) and the rear sproket (Corona, here in Argentina)
    Next week I'm going to the University in Rio Cuarto for a course and as I have some friends there from Argentinian forums, I asked and they told me where to go to ask for the things I need, so, next saturday I think I will be showing some photos of the things and I hope that I will put them in the bike on saturday too, we'll see... :evil:evil

Thanks for this little space, I hope more people would join!
  10. jan.van.gent

Oddometer:
  11. jan.van.gent

Oddometer:
    An example for a mountainbike of a lizardskin:
    [​IMG]
  12. Leo.G

Leo.G Is still learning

Oddometer:
    I'll also try to do so with the job on my bike..

First let me visit the shops that have been recommended to me, there are a lot of spares for my bike in the country, but I live in a small town, and you know, almost all the shops that sell spare parts are dedicated to cubs, or eventually a street 125cc such as a Honda CG or Yamaha YBR 125...
    I have one that can order things, but I have to wait so much, I'd prefer to have the things in the moment, with this, I will...

About University, I'll tell you that I'm 17 and I'm at the last year of high school, I'll go to do some introductory courses, to start studying to be a Veterinarian some day...(Hoping to specialize in small animals' surgery)

Another off topic for you.. Do you have MSN or Skype?
  13. jan.van.gent

Oddometer:
    I don't have msn or skype, but I do have facebook.

Good luck finding the components you need for chain change etc. Normaly the chain + sprocket kit is not so hard to find since also other models have the same chain i believe. Could be wrong though.
  14. Leo.G

Leo.G Is still learning

Oddometer:
    The rear sproket is some kind of unique, I've done a mod so the front sproket is the same of the NXR 125, je!

I don't have facebook, we could comunicate from here...
  15. Leo.G

Leo.G Is still learning

Oddometer:
    Hey!

It seems that you are very busy riding! jaj!

I hope you are fine, as news I can tell you that my tach cable has cut and now I'm with the speedo only..
    I'll wait 'till I buy the sprokets and the chain for that..

That's all for now!
    Greetings!
  16. jan.van.gent

Oddometer:
    Today i removed the chain. Tomorow i'm going to replace chain + sprocket + gear.
    In my opinion, i could move the gear and sprocket quite a bit in the axial direction. Is this normal, or is this excessive wear?
  17. Bronco638

Bronco638 Nobody Home

Oddometer:
    Jan, are you talking about the counter shaft sprocket (on the engine) or the rear gear? My counter shaft sprocket is slightly loose when properly installed. My rear gear is mounted on a cush drive hub, so there's some play there as well. Did you need me to post the appropriate shop manual chapter on my blog?
  18. jan.van.gent

Oddometer:
  19. Leo.G

Leo.G Is still learning

Oddometer:
    As far as I'm concerned, the front srpoket must have a little play in the countershaft, (I'll show you how mine was later), and talking about the rear sproket, I'm sure your problem is that you have that "silentblocks" of the hub that have some wear (piece Nº 3 in the scheme). Ask for that pieces, I'm sure you'll be able to get them easily..

Talking about me...
    I had a stupid crash in my bike on the weekend, I didn't get hurt, but my bike (That had a bent fork already) bented more the same bent fork and now it is in the little garden of my house waiting for a replacement...

Some photos...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Tomorrow I'm calling lots of spare parts shops from big cities, I hope I can get an OEM fork, it seems the transmision will have to wait a little bit more..

Greetings!
    More photos at:
    http://s287.photobucket.com/albums/ll145/LeOSSJ2/Fotos de la NX/
  20. jan.van.gent

Oddometer:
    Ah, that's the same part as i found in this webshop (where i bought my chain/sprocket etc.): http://www.wemoto.com/bikes/Honda/N...89-99/picture/Cush_Drive_Rubber_-_Individual/

I'm going to work on it this evening, check out which causes the play.

About your crash: i think OEM shocks will be very expensive (if new)... Let's hope not.