Kentuckiana "Icebreaker" Ride Mar. 24-25

Discussion in 'Central – From Da Nort Woods to the Plane States' started by Woodsrat, Dec 26, 2011.

?

So who's coming and whatcha riding?

1. Dunno yet

2. Small (under 400cc) dually bike

3. Big (over 400cc) dually bike

4. Streeter

5. Why would I waste my valuable time on a ride like this???

Multiple votes are allowed.
Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. Woodsrat

Woodsrat Gone ridin'

Oddometer:
    NOTE--LATEST REVISED (AS OF 3-21, 11:00 PM) DOWNLOADABLE GPS TRACKS AVAILABLE AT http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=774808

Although we've yet to experience any "real" winter weather it's always nice to finally drag our steeds out of the barn after a long, cold winter and go riding with friends, both new and old. With this idea in mind some inmates are organizing an overnight spring "Icebreaker" ride down to Mammoth Cave. The ride itself won't be terribly long--hopefully around 150-175 miles or thereabouts--figuring that a part of the ride for everyone will be getting to the starting point which will be at Paoli, IN. To allow for everyone to have plenty of time to make it to the start our departure time will be 11 AM and Sunday's return loop will start early and have us back in plenty of time to make the ride home.

Given that the weather that time of year is probably the biggest challenge--and the reality that there probably isn't much in the way of "bad" roads in the central Kentucky area--it'll be an excellent ride to saddle up the big bikes (including streeters), crank up that new electric vest you got for Christmas and hopefully remember which end of the bike goes forward. Same goes for you "noobs" who've always been interested in joining us on one of our little adventures but felt the route might be more than you could handle. It would also be an excellent opportunity to bring along your better half on the pillon. Mostly this ride will be about seeing old friends and meeting new ones--an overnight "meet-n-greet" to kick off the new riding season.

Besides the obvious beauty of the cave area itself there's a really cool old motel that's in the area and room is limited here:

http://www.wigwamvillage.com

It definitely ain't a five-star motel but when was the last time you stayed in a place like this??? Group rates are available as well so it's not out of the question for us to make our reservations in advance and get a break on what is already a fairly inexpensive overnight stay.

Exploration is going on as I write this and there should be some teaser pics coming to whet your appetite for this adventure posted later.

Please note: Although for the most part everyone who hangs out on this forum already knows this but as a reminder to everyone and for you noobs please be aware that you go on this ride at your own risk. This ride is on public roads and you'll be exposed to all the usual risks you'll find anytime you leave the comfort and safety of the garage. This includes and is not limited to bad drivers, poor road and/or weather conditions, animals running out in front of you, your fellow riders and God only knows what else. If you don't think your abilities are up to this ride don't come along. There's no shame in being honest with yourself and realizing that maybe you're not ready to do a ride like this.

All this being said if something unfortunate happens it's between you, the Law and your insurance company. No one going on the ride or involved with creating the suggested route can vouch for your ability or guarantee your safety so don't go whining here if you fall down and go boom. Ride with some common sense, show a little respect for your fellow riders and the locals' home turf we'll be riding through and everything ought to be peachy-keen.

Note for above poll: The "Dunno yet" option means you plan to attend but aren't sure what you'll ride yet. Didn't take me long to screw that one up...
  2. lufin

lufin Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    :earI think I may be able to make this one Tim I'll mark that on the wifes calender so she won't make plans for me that weekend. HA HA
  3. Davidc83

Davidc83 Long timer

Oddometer:
    I am in, as long as no work, no ice , or no snow.
  4. mbabc

mbabc Journeyman Curmudgeon

Oddometer:
    Here's a couple pics from today's exploring.

You don't want to miss this ride...

[​IMG]

Miles and miles of roads just like this....well, actually just a few and they can be by passed for those who wish.

[​IMG]

Mostly roads like this. Nice mix of state hwys. and back roads.

[​IMG]

For the real adventurer...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2 ferry crossings over the Green river. yawn....

[​IMG]

More info to come.
  5. Woodsrat

Woodsrat Gone ridin'

Oddometer:
    mbabc emailed and cautioned against the Wigwam Village. Apparently it ain't what it's cracked up to be. He said this looked much better:

http://www.rockcabincamping.com

He also mentioned the idea of a fire and good fellowship on Saturday night might be in order before retiring to the cabins, one of which is a bunkhouse of sorts that sleeps nine. For you hardy guys obviously camping is available as well.

This is gonna be fun!!! Thanks for doing this one, Mark.
  6. BackRoadNomad

BackRoadNomad I'm retired...go around me!

Oddometer:
    [/QUOTE]
    This is gonna be fun!!! Thanks for doing this one, Mark.

ADVCoot
    '08 Versys
    '89 NX250

Attached Files:

• 029.jpg
      029.jpg
      File size:
      165.2 KB
      Views:
  7. jclark83

jclark83 Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Looks Good, I haven't explored any in this part of the state. Count me in as a solid maybe for now.
  8. patmo

patmo Long timer

Oddometer:
    I've put this on the calendar. Weather can be iffy that time of year, but sometimes it is really good. Let's hope for the best! There's a restaurant in Pig that I want to try while there.

Might want to move this over to the upcoming area or start dual thread so more would see this.
  9. Dog

Dog Professional nOOb

Oddometer:

+1. A few years back when my daughter was 5, my wife and I took her to Mammoth Cave in late-March. We stayed at Wigwam Village for the novelty, and to create a memorable experience for our 5yo, Mission accomplished. Our daughter LOVED it - still talks about it 6 years later, and wants to go back. On the other hand, my wife and I barely tolerated it, but suffered through it as any good parent would. The wigmams are very small, the bathrooms are barely useable (would have preferred a big tree and a creek, rather than use the bathroom in this place...). The only source of heat at night is a small electric space heater plugged into the wall. An interesting, historical place for sure. Glad we did it ONCE for our daughter's enjoyment, but also glad I don't have to do it again.

BTW, sounds like a great ride. I penciled it in to consider as the date gets closer.
  10. Woodsrat

Woodsrat Gone ridin'

Oddometer:
    I hear there may be a possible change of starting point to Paoli, IN. The backroads are better between there and the river crossing at Mauckport and it'll reduce the Indiana mileage somewhat to allow for more in Kentucky.

More on this as it develops but it sounds like a good place to start this ride. A quick check showed three motels in Paoli and plenty more in the surrounding area plus lots of places to camp, assuming you've got the hair to do it.:vardy
  11. KneeKicker

KneeKicker Long timer

Oddometer:

Will the return route end at the starting point?
  12. mbabc

Oddometer:
    Did some more scouting Sunday. Pretty country.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

One place we're thinking on staying Saturday night. They have small cabins and tent camping.

[​IMG]

On the route north I have us crossing the Green river at Houchins Ferry. Hummmm...closed?

[​IMG]

I called the NPS today and they said the ferry is open 7 days per week starting March 1st. Also have camping options here.

[​IMG]

Once across the river the road turns gravel for a bit before turning west over Nolan lake. Lots of nice backroads with more gravel sections thrown in for those who are so inclined. By-passes for those who aren't.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

We don't cross this!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Probably be fixed by trip time.

[​IMG]

Plenty of gas along the way, so certain people won't run out. :evil

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

End of my part.

[​IMG]

More info to come from the ride committee.
  13. KneeKicker

KneeKicker Long timer

Oddometer:
    I crossed that Ferry on Green River about 4 years ago while riding part of the BMW adventure ride route.

If I can dig that route up I will post it. It may or may not be helpful for this ride, had some nice offfroad sections that were still big bike friendly.
  14. Woodsrat

Woodsrat Gone ridin'

Oddometer:
    I'd guess so--unless you bugged out for home and didn't want to return to beautiful downtown Paoli--or wherever it's gonna start.
  15. patmo

patmo Long timer

Oddometer:
    BEST campground in that area is the one at Mammoth Cave National Park. Very nice, wooded lots with plenty of privacy. Cave City would be a good alternative for hotel and food. Comfort Inn was new just a few years ago, clean and nice when I stayed there, with a very low price around 40-50 dollars per night at that time with my SOS discount.
  16. Sourjon

Sourjon TAT'erd

Oddometer:
    Just discovered this thread. Looks like fun. I'll see if I can dig up some tracks from around Rough River Lake.

[​IMG]

John
  17. mbabc

Oddometer:
    Loved Old Railroad Bed rd. John. I just stopped and took a quick look at that bridge. Pretty long but flat gravel road.

Email me some tracks. Been exploring but I'm sure you have some ideas.
  18. Woodsrat

Woodsrat Gone ridin'

Oddometer:
    I love Kentucky...

This is looking to be an epic ride. Do what you can to make sure you can join us. :clap
  19. BigDogAdventures

BigDogAdventures Fart Letter Supporter

Oddometer:
    I'll think I'll make it over to this ride---and see what I can find interesting on the way.
    See you there.
    BigDog

[​IMG]
  20. Woodsrat

Woodsrat Gone ridin'

Oddometer:
    ...who filled me in on his current motorcycling status. He sold his DR-650 after trying to ride it in one too many AMA trail rides and burying it in bottomless mud holes so besides going over to the "Dark Side" (riding quads) he's building yet another ultimate lightweight trail bike. As usual this one is going to have a stroker motor, mega-expensive suspension and who knows what else. My hope is that this one actually works unlike the last 25 or so "ultimate bikes" he's tried to build since I've known him...

While on the horn with him this AM I told him about this ride and he said he'd be there, even if he has to drive the Geo Metro--which is almost a motorcycle (actually more like an enclosed four-wheeled scooter) although he's going to do his best to try to borrow/steal a suitable bike by then.

If anyone wants to harass him I have his girlfriend's email address. PM me to get it. Note to Big Dog--he said he got tired of waiting for you to ask him to dance (or go ride to Alaska, Mexico or wherever), one of the main reasons he sold the big DR--and he sounded kind of heartbroken...:cry