Sequoia, Kings Canyon NP

Discussion in 'GPS Tracks - West & PNW' started by AaronK, Oct 21, 2008.

1. AaronK

AaronK Grumpy Grumperson

Oddometer:
    Hey guys,
    I'm going from Death Valley to Sequoia or Kings Canyon NP. Do you know of an tracks or good routes in the area? I have DV covered, more tracks than I can ride.
    Thanks,
    Aaron
  2. kfcz400

kfcz400 dirt track maniac

Oddometer:
    i live in the area and have covered sequoia and kings quite a bit. are you dual sport or road rider? do you want tarmac or dirt? kc
  3. AaronK

AaronK Grumpy Grumperson

Oddometer:
    Hey kc,
    I am a dual sport rider looking for easier to mildly challenging dirt routes and interesting sights. I have a GPS as well. What do you think the weather will be like first 2 weeks of November? Thanks, Aaron
  4. kfcz400

Oddometer:
    the weather is usually perfect that time of the year, barring any major storms of couse. to get to these areas you would have to take sherman pass road from 395, once you are up the hill to the troy meadows area there is a ton of trails and roads. you really just need a forest map if you have not been there, as far as just passing through you would still have to end up back on sherman pass road to access the western sequoia mtns. where you can find more dirt roads many connecting by asphalt. again i wouldn't do it with out a map. but there are alot of options for a dual sport....kc
  5. AaronK

AaronK Grumpy Grumperson

Oddometer:
    Thanks kc,
    Do you know if there is a road to cross farther up north near lone pine or big pine? Do you have any GPS tracks?

Thanks again,

Aaron
  6. bilmunson

bilmunson Adventurer

Oddometer:
    http://www.smts.info/
  7. AaronK

AaronK Grumpy Grumperson

Oddometer:
    That is great. Have you ever done 3-3a through 3-6? Do you know of gas along that route?
    Thanks,

Aaron
  8. Countdown

Countdown Long timer

Oddometer:
    All tracks end at Gas or there is a side track to Gas. I put this together before I had gas pump icons etc. I guess I should update that stuff.

BTW no problem going form Lone Pine to Sequoia/Kings. Just drive to Whitney Portal and hike over, take a short side trip to the top of Whitney.

I hiked from Edison Lake on west side to North Lake on Bishop creek on east side once (a long time ago).
  9. AaronK

AaronK Grumpy Grumperson

Oddometer:
    Hey Jerry
    How difficult are these routes? I'm riding a DR650 with better suspension and re-jetted.
    I think I will pass on the hike to the top of Whitney this trip. How long did it take to hike that route?
    Thanks for the info and great tracks.
    I did your DV350 in March 06. It was a great route and we had to skip some of it because of time and mechanical issues. I didn't have a GPS back then. Any chance of getting a gpx file of that 350 to go with my paper roll chart?
    Thanks again,
    Aaron
  10. Countdown

Countdown Long timer

Oddometer:
    Good DR650 with at least enduro B rider is fine, I am trying to add Adv bypasses where appropriate.

I usually don't give out my ride tracks but I understand people get them at ride. I think I will do southern DV350 this year because of no gas at Scotty's. Come on out!

Trip across sierras was 3 days.
  11. AaronK

AaronK Grumpy Grumperson

Oddometer:
    Thanks Jerry, I'm looking forward to another Countdown ride. I'm going to Death Valley with the nOObs first week of November and then heading out to the Sequoia's then maybe to the coast and back down.
  12. kfcz400

Oddometer:
    there are no roads or trails north of sherman pass, until you get to yosemite, hwy 120.....
  13. Countdown

Countdown Long timer

Oddometer:
    There are lots of trails, just none open to wheels!

We almost had a good road from Lone Pine to Cottenwood meadows to Mineral King but it got killed in the 70's.

We had an old dirt road then only a trail from Coso Junction over Sacatar to Monache and down to the west but it became Wilderness under Clilnton.

The current South pass is actually up Nineteen Mile canyon to Kennedy Meadows and down to the west, Sherman is only one of the options to the west.
  14. kfcz400

Oddometer:
    i think he's lookin to ride, not hike. it's a damn shame there isn't any roads or trails through there some of the prettiest country anywhere. damn enviros, commie bastards.......
  15. kfcz400

Oddometer:
    thats a hike i would love to do.....
  16. katoosh

katoosh Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    What about about Monache Meadows?
  17. toofast4uu

toofast4uu adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hi, anyone have an off road or duals sport route out of kernville leading up to Yosemite?

We're heading up that way the first week in may, this year....any idea's or tracks available?

Thanks
  18. mcnut

mcnut Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:

You have several options that I know with some tracks for bits of the route from Hy178 & 155 / Kernville area to Hy190 / Springville. North of there I have no knowledge.

Starting at the Southern end you can:

Pick up Rancheria Rd from Hy178 just E of Bakersfield
    or
    Access Rancheria Rd via some challenging 4X4 trails out of Keysville near the Lake Isabella dam & Hy155
    or
    The best option from Kernville is to go SW on Hy155 about 10 miles to Sawmill Flat Rd up to Rancheria.

Their is another option (old State Rd) from Wolford Heights but I don't think it is as nice as the others.

Then work north to the Western Divide Hw above Johnsondale. From there you can route around the NE side of the Tule River Indian Res on dirt roads and drop down into Camp Nelson on Hw 190. Once at Camp Nelson ride 190 down to Springville.

Sherman Pass is nice but paved and drops down to the Kern River pretty far N of Kernville. The trails in the area are single track trails many of which loop.

Bruce
  19. Countdown

Countdown Long timer

Oddometer:
    SMTS on GPSXchange.com it uses the PCQ tracks in that area.
  20. Countdown

Countdown Long timer

Oddometer:
    It is not in either of the parks?