AMA Pro 2015 Flat Track thread

Discussion in 'Racing' started by stk0308, Nov 19, 2014.

1. snowhawk jockey

snowhawk jockey Slack Jaw Gaper

Oddometer:
    The other Center of the Universe: Bend, Oregon
    I bet Dave wishes his racer had a problem with too much traction... He has gone through a few different frame configurations searching for a sweet spot. Now the team is running a full custom frame with conventional forks. Sure wish them the best. JL10 was a good pilot for them last season, when he was in the saddle. There were too many distractions for him to really devote himself for the season, between a newborn and "supermoto des nations".
  2. DogBoy

DogBoy Not a Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer:
  3. never2old4fun

never2old4fun Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Well, only a couples more months to before the start of the new season.:clap I think this will be an interesting year with Harley and Yamaha having a new machine to field. :D
    But if I could have one wish though it would for the AMA to run the TT's as they used to back in the old days when they had a small engine class. This would be now the 450's and a big twins class. Yes I do understand the arguments against it, but just the sound of those big bikes once again on the Peoria track would be music.:D
  4. DogBoy

Oddometer:
    Change in procedure for the setting front row of AMA Pro Flat Track mains via finishing order of the Dash for Cash. Dash now only pays one point for the winner and no points for other finishers.

Full press release at AMA Pro Flat Track website

Press release continues with quotes from racers and indicates this change will allow for tighter championship race. Thoughts?
  5. HarveyMushman

HarveyMushman Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Any of the better teams building/campaigning a Yamaha?
  6. bikerfish

bikerfish flyfishandride

Oddometer:
    Indy Mile moved, no longer on motogp weekend. FAIL!!!!!!! sorry, but while I love flattrack, I'm not making two treks to indy, I'll go for the motogp, but not for the mile. I think they are gonna lose most of the attendance, I give the race one last year and then it's back off the schedule.
    stupid stupid DMG
  7. DogBoy

Oddometer:
    The promoters of the Indy Mile posted this on Facebook:

Doesn't seem like the MotoGP date change is that different from 2014. However, if the Indiana State Fair already has those dates booked for its own event at its own facility, I'm guessing no force on heaven or earth could change it for the Indy Mile. Bummer but I applaud the promoters for taking the risk of a finding another date for the Indy Mile and adding the Du Quoin Mile to schedule. Thats four Mile races relatively close proximity to each other between Memorial Day and Labor Day. Hopefully the Midwest fans respond and eat it up. Lucky bastards already have the Peoria TT.
  8. randomride

randomride Motorcycle Junkie

Oddometer:
    There is going to be quite a strong contingent of Yamaha's out there this year. C&J is backlogged with orders for the Yami frame (it is specific and not just different motor mounts installed in the Kawi frame) . There should be one or two done by the time Volusia runs their halfmile in March. That should be a pretty decent shakedown for the new bikes.

With Du Quoin back on the schedule, no teams can test there. That has been the goto place to shakedown new bikes for the midwest based teams.
  9. randomride

Oddometer:
    Not many MotoGPers have been going to the race the last couple of years. They would all rather hang out downtown on Meridian St.

I for one am glad the race is no longer being held during that weekend or during the fair. This will allow the promoters to do something special as the Indy Mile will stand on its own merits just fine. Just like Springfield stands on it's own :wink:

Don't forget, you'll also have Marion County www.midamspeedway.com running the night before and it is a Vintage National. It is one of the best prepped short tracks in the country.

I could give a rats ass about MotoGP. Real racing is done on the dirt with two wheels and no front brake (unless it is a TT) :deal

To be fast on the pavement, you first have to be fast on the dirt!
  10. vee2win

vee2win oldnwiser

Oddometer:
  11. DogBoy

Oddometer:
    Mees wins the Troy Bayliss Classic with Henry Wiles 2nd. Bayliss finished 4th. Hoping to see some video soon.
  12. Crusty

Crusty Cranky old fart

Oddometer:
    I couldn't have said it better myself. If I have to choose between going to Indy to see the Moto GP or going to see the Mile, the Mile wins every time.
  13. Rich B

Rich B Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Dirt is for racing, asphalt is for getting there! :D
  14. bk brkr baker

bk brkr baker Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:

So, you think it's best to divide and conquor ? Let me know how that works out. Dirt track vs Road Racing , which is growing and the other shrinking ?
    Every year I've gone to Indy for the Moto GP , I've made the effort to go to the Mile, if it happens. And I've told the folks at home that were planning to go for GP that the best race of the weekend was at the Fairgrounds.
    I think you're wrong about the GP fans not going to the Mile. I hung out with an Aussie, a Spaniard and a Frenchman last year. They came for the GP but, were digging the dirt track.
    Fast is Fast, motors are motors , tires slide on dirt as well as asphalt. Isn't it a wonderful world ?
  15. randomride

Oddometer:
    Where do you think they learn to slide those tires?

In case you haven't been paying attention, all racing is on a decline. The only one holding its own is supercross/motocross.

I live in Indiana and I've only attended the MotoGP once. I haven't missed a Pro Flat Track race within a 4 hour ride in 5 years. I also attend a lot of local FT races too, where I'm usually a corner marshall (best seat in the house :evil). And no, I don't ride a hardley-abelson.

I'm a big fan of the Kawi twin. A buddy changed the whole conception of what a flat track bike should be (The Howerton Racing 42 that Bryan Smith rides). Ricky is an old friend and a very brilliant designer.

I can't wait to see how the new Yamaha's fare this year as well as the Triumphs.

Flat track is a uniquely American form of motorcycle racing. It's really cool to watch how the riders scrub speed off coming into a corner on a short track. The mile tracks are good for show and require a much different riding style. I like both because of the talent it takes to ride both.
  16. bk brkr baker

bk brkr baker Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:

a. Yeah, King Kenny took on Europe and kicked but and then Freddie, Wayne ,Eddie and the rest. Great training in the dirt, no secret.

b. I have paid attention, I stopped racing too. $4.00 buck gas, insane.

c. The Indy round of the Moto GP was the only chance the Euro vistors had to wittness flat track on a GP weekend. It never lined up in California and it's not happening in Austin . Indy was the one and I wish it would line up again.
  17. PeteN95

PeteN95 Long timer

Oddometer:
    In 2003 we were racing the AMA Supermoto at Laguna which ran with the World Superbikes and we drove up to Watsonville to see the Halberts race a TT at the fairgrounds on Saturday night. It was a great racing weekend, almost rivaling Daytona. :D
  18. Cow Boy Brad

Cow Boy Brad brad1098

Oddometer:
    I just found out DuQuoin is back on the schedule!!

I live 35 minutes from the Magic Mile and went to my first race there in 1992.
  19. DogBoy

Oddometer:
    The California Flat Track Association (CFTA) has a put together an impressive number of items for a silent auction to benefit injured AMA Pro Flat Track racer Jethro Halbert. Halbert suffered a head injury at the Calistoga round last September.

The auction is going on right now through Saturday at 11:00pm Eastern time. Items include ticket packages to AMA Pro Flat Track races across the country, some very impressive collectables such as Scottie Parker's helmet from his first AMA Championship, autographed photos, number plates and posters, rider instruction, race entries and more.

List of items for Jethro Halbert benefit auction.

CFTA Facebook page
  20. never2old4fun

never2old4fun Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Just to let anyone who may be interested. Fan Choice will have will internet broadcast a race tomorrow night. Here's the details.

<TABLE class=kmsg> <TBODY> <TR> <TD class=kmessage-left> From AMA Pro:

DAYTONA BEACH, Fla. (Feb. 17, 2015) - Riders aren't the only members of the AMA Pro Flat Track family putting in extra work this offseason in preparation for when the season officially begins at DAYTONA Flat Track March 12 and 13.

In an effort to test new equipment and ensure the best viewer experience possible when the season begins, AMA Pro Racing and FansChoice.tv will broadcast the Southern Dirt Track Association (SDTA) race from Marion County Speedway in Ocala, Fla., on Feb. 21. Dirt track racing fans will be able to watch all the action live at FansChoice.tv, the same place where every event on the 2015 AMA Pro Flat Track schedule will be streamed live, in high definition and free of charge.

"We appreciate the opportunity to work with the Southern Dirt Track Association as we prepare for the 2015 AMA Pro Flat Track season," said Michael Gentry, Chief Operating Officer of AMA Pro Racing. "Not only will fans get to see the exciting SDTA event live, but our FansChoice.tv crew will have a chance to ensure that we are ready to provide the best race broadcasts possible in 2015."

SDTA's first race this season saw professional riders such as Kenny Coolbeth Jr., Jeffery Carver Jr., and Johnny Lewis in the field, getting ready for Daytona.

"It's great for the people that can't make it," Coolbeth said about having the race live streamed via FansChoice.tv. "At first, I thought (FansChoice.tv) might take fans away from coming to the races but it didn't seem to in 2014 so I think it's really been a blessing for our series. It's awesome to be able to get our sport out there for the world to see."

Shawn McNary, Managing Member of the Southern Dirt Track Association along with Ward Jones and Ray Delacqueseaux, has worked as an announcer for AMA Pro Flat Track as recently as the 2014 Grays Harbor Half-Mile and said he plans on using that experience to create a professional pre-race and in-race experience for fans at the track and watching live online.

"We are excited to have the opportunity to provide world-class coverage of our Florida-based amateur flat track organization," said McNary.

Live streaming coverage will begin with pre-race interviews at 3:00 p.m. ET (12:00 noon PT) with practice at 4:00 p.m. ET (1:00 p.m. PT). The evening program of racing is slated to begin at 6:00 p.m. ET (3:00 p.m. PT). Log on and tune in at www.FansChoice.tv.

</TD></TR> <TR> <TD class=kbuttonbar-left> I told my Pap and Mame I was goin to the dirttrack to go flattrackin.ACTED LIKE THEY WAS GUT SHOT!Says SON,Make your life goes here,HEREs WHERE

</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>