INDIA Calling : Everything you wanna know

Discussion in 'Asia' started by bunny_punia, Nov 13, 2007.

1. Chanderjeet

Chanderjeet "IndiYeah & SveriYeah!!"

Oddometer:

So, they are going to take 33 bucks a day and deposit as much as a cost of a new 500cc bullet. Interseting.

I went to Karol bagh yesterday and checked out prices for used Karizma and Bullet. A used bullet with low miles can cost anywhere between 500 - 1000 USD. A new 350 CC standard costs about 1600 brand new.

OTOH, finding a Karizma under 1000 USD would be not easy and even if i do, it wont be in good condition.

If you are going for a Bullet, decide what you want. Technically, a 350cc is enough for a single rider. Consider this that a 500cc will burn more fuel, more money.
  2. yogesh

yogesh Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    You can get a bullet 500 for less than US$ 25 a day in Delhi and deposit shouldn’t be more than US$ 1000-1200 (unless its a brand new bike). There are plenty of renters in Delhi, no need to book in advance, just arrive a day or two before you want to leave and go to Karol Bagh and ride out next day with the bike you choose.

Ps. don’t forget to bargain.

PPs. You can’t legally buy bikes in India unless you are here for more than 6 months and get approval from your embassy.
  3. ColdC

ColdC Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Good info. It sounds like just purchasing a new Enfield 350 and then selling it would be cheaper than a rental. I was aware of the letter from the embassy requirement, but is it not possible to purchase in India if you are going to be there less than 6 months?! Is this really enforced? How would they know?
    Sounds like if I decide to rent it makes sense just to wait until I'm in Delhi.
    Chanderjeet, considering the cost of a new Enfield 350, would the same amount of money buy a GOOD used Karisma or other Japanese/more modern bike?
    Thanx!
  4. Chanderjeet

Oddometer:
    Man, you really like Karizma dont you :D

Well, here are the prices as of today.

in INR 40 INR = 1 USD
    Karizma - 83295
    Enfield Standard 350 - 77446
    Electra 4S - Left Brake - 80900
    Electra 4S (Electric start) - 86146
    Electra 5S Right Brake - 83327
    Electra 5S Disc Brake and electric start 0 93200
    Thunderbird 350 - 98895
    Machismo 500 LB - 110272

Well honestly, Japanese bikes are being beaten down by indian brands. If you want another bike to consider, look at bajaj pulsar with displacement of either 150,180,200 or 220

Pulsar 150 - 62615
    [​IMG]

180 - 64255
    [​IMG]

200 - 72990
    [​IMG]

220 - 88385
    [​IMG]

Or if cruiser suits your taste - get a Bajaj Avenger @ 69865

[​IMG]

If you are planning to carry some luggage then get a bullet, it will haul everything you throw on it and panniers for enfields are easily available. But carrying stuff on Karizma isnt too easy. You would have to tie stuff down and/or get a soft luggage. (another 2 grand)

IN SHORT GET A BULLET :D

[​IMG]

SEE THIS :D

[​IMG]
  5. yogesh

yogesh Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Because the RTO won’t let you register the bike unless you have the letter and embassy wouldn’t give you the letter because they know how long you have been in India and how long you will stay.

Majority of the foreigners I have met, who had bought their bikes here, didn’t transfer it to their name. They just take the papers from the seller and then give it to those who purchase the bike later, this is illegal, but then again majority of renting going on here is illegal as well.
  6. Chanderjeet

Oddometer:
    Didnt know all this. Does that mean, me and you are promoting illegal business. :lol3

What is that white van doing in front of my house. :bluduh
  7. yogesh

yogesh Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Pretty much :D
  8. ColdC

ColdC Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Again, I can't thank you enough.
    Chanderjeet, I'm not sold on the Karisma...just would like a more modern bike than the Enfield. Doing some more research on my own, it sounds as if the Bajaj Pulsar might be a better option because of the availability of parts, mechanical assistance, etc.
    Buying a new 180cc Pulsar for $1,600 usd sounds better than giving up a $1,800 deposit for a rented Enfield and paying another $750 usd for 3 weeks of rent.
    Since I'm riding solo and travel light, I think I could probably bungy/cargo net my pack to the back and with the addition of a tank bag, carry all I would need.
    Does anyone RENT Pulsars or have a "buy back" scheme?
    Given the laws mentioned will anyone sell me a new one or is it best to find a used one and just never "register" the sale?
    Sounds like whatever I do it is going to technically break some law. However I'm used to doing that having rented and ridden bikes in Vietnam, Lao, Cambodia, China, etc......:brow
  9. arn

arn Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    A brand new Karizma will set you back about 2000 USD. Sold after 3-4000km, you will lose about 400 - 500 USD.

You can strap heavy compact luggage (tools), to the saree guard at the rear (a sort of skirt guard cum footrest mandated by our clever clever legislators, fitted on all Indian bikes including the R1 sold here:huh), and use a bungee cord to secure luggage to the pillion area. And, ofc, there is place for a tankbag. What you will not get is the sort of monstrous metal frames and panniers shown by Chanderjeet , which are a standard fitment for bullets, and not much else.

However, considering you will be wearing the bulky stuff, whether you really NEED those huge panniers is another matter.

Renting, buying may be illegal, but "borrowing" a friend's bike - they haven't got around to legislating that yet. So have a friend buy it (with your money), "lend" it to you, and then have him sell it off once the trip is over (and return the balance, agrred on before ther trip). New bike = no hassles.

Try KRP as well and see whether they can be your "friend"
  10. ColdC

ColdC Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    ....ah yes, I'm beginning to understand this whole moto buying, lending, renting thing. Would appreciate if anyone has specific contacts as to who is helpful and friendly in these matters. Specific shops/dealers in Karol bagh? Who do you reccommend given that I prefer a Pulsar or Karisma? Any feedback on Madaan Motors in Karol bagh if I end up with an Enfield?
    PM or email me if preferred. Thanx!
  11. yogesh

yogesh Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Arn is right, even though new bike would be better, but you would loose out on resale big time and you would only be able to sell it in Delhi, since the registration certificate normally doesn’t arrives for couple of weeks.

As for buying a second hand motorcycle (that’s the only way you’ll get a Karizma or a Pulsar), well as long as you have the money, most renters would be willing to work with you.

Ps. if you don’t mind spending an extra US$55, buy saddle bags from www.cramster.in, they have a store here and those saddle bags should take in a bit of luggage with ease.
  12. Chanderjeet

Oddometer:
    And if you are starting frm delhi, you can use my cramster luggage bags :thumb
  13. leewildwater

leewildwater rrrrRide Man rrrrRide

Oddometer:
    out riding my two legged horse near Bryson City NC
    hey guys

Thanks for taking the time to post the info on India. I certainly would love to travel back to India and want to give a recomendation to http://www.junglemantra.com/ they are located just outside Bandhavgard National Park. Truly wonderful hosts.

And from a "hillbilly" from NC Mtns, I wanna to throw another two cents in; I for one am tired of hearing India and esp. the people there getting a bad rap. Those folks answering the phones etc. are just trying to make a living and like us all, would probally appreciate a break every now and then. So why not give 'em one. Maybe you just might get one back. I've been working with the public since '81 as a whitewater guide, and it has been quite amazing the past few years in seeing the growing number of guests org. from India going rafting. I have found them to be the most appreciative, fun loving, and and family focused of any ethnic group.

So with that said, I am ready to go back and you boys have a kingfisher on me.:freaky
  14. Chanderjeet

Oddometer:
    Appreciate about your thoughts about india. :thumb
  15. bibo

bibo Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hi all. It seems we will be a lot of us in India this summer.

I keep on preparing the trip, now i'm waiting for my visa to arrive from Madrid. The other day i bought a book ( do you remember that old strange things made out of paper ??? :D) called Adventure Motorcycling Handbook. It's very useful as it helps you in EVERY aspect you need. From choosing your bike, how to tune it for every different travel, any kind of tips, documents you'll need, travellers experiences, adresses, prices ... everything.

It's not specially focused to travels in India but there are like 10 pages about India and it's very useful for future travels. There's a kind of a ranking of best/most used bikes to travel RTW and besides KTMs, BMWs, ATs and XTs there are ... Royal Enfields! :clap Yes. They say RE can climb a wall ...

Now i know what i will do: I won't reserve my RE from here. Due to the great offer in Karol Bagh I will arrive to Delhi, go there, bargain the best i can and get the best bike i can.

BTW, i want to thank all the Indian Crew for being so nice and helpful for all of us. If someday you need something from Spain, just ask for it.

:freakyFor all of you!!!

Check it at http://www.adventure-motorcycling.com
  16. arn

arn Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    There is another aspect to the reason why bullet rentals are more popular - among those actually renting out the bikes.

Most westerners come from places where speed limits are strictly enforced - which is not the case here (except in some cities). Hence they really rip the rented bikes here.

You cannot "rip" a bullet. Pushed hard the motor makes it clear that it is not liking what is happening - and if you still insist, you have a good chance of bending a valve or something. Not so with the more modern Jap machines/pulsars. Those engines don't complain and suddenly the rider comes face to face with a situation that they cannot handle due to the traffic conditions being very different.

BANG!

Exit one bike, for the fellow renting them. Better to let out bikes that have a built in "safety valve" and will have miserable engine related breakdowns now and then, rather than encourage risky high speed stuff - which can lead to a totalled bike, and enquiries from the police (like what this deceased guy was doing with your bike)
  17. Gornzilla

Gornzilla Registered Slob

Oddometer:
    Howdy,

I leave California for Delhi on 21 May. My bike is being shipped from Melbourne, Australia. I won't have an idea when it'll make it for a few days. No big deal, I'll need some time to figure out traffic.

I've got a friend from San Francisco who has an apartment in Varanasi that I'll be using as a base.

I don't really have any plans except I'd like to visit the Enfield factory, and meet up with a few Indians I've "met" on motorcycle mailing lists. I might make it to China for the Olympics (and visit SE Asia), but plan on coming back to India. Of course, my travel plans aren't really plans. I like keeping everything wide open.

So if you see a guy with a broken down Ducati on the side of the road laughing at himself, say hi.

--Dave
  18. Chanderjeet

Oddometer:
    will do, :wave
  19. ColdC

ColdC Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    OK, I land in Delhi on June 30th and will head to Karol Bagh immediately hoping to find a non-Enfield rental, e.g. Karizma or Bajaj Pulsar, but if not I guess I'll head to Lali Singh for an Enfield.

My questions now are: what is a reasonable route/schedule to Leh? Especially the first part of the trip to Manali. Is Delhi to Chandigarh or Shimla then to Manali reasonable or should I take more than two days to get to Manali from Delhi? What is your advice as the best route from Delhi to Manali?
    How early do I need to leave Delhi to get out of the city before the traffic starts? 3AM?

After Manali I was thinking Manali to Keylong to Sarchu to Leh. Is there accommodation in Sarchu that doesn't require a sleeping bag? I like to travel light so is a sleeping bag a must have item?

Route advice and any other things I need to know is much appreciated.

Chanderjeet, that offer on the loan of the saddle bags still stand? More than happy to rent them; payment in beers? :beer Any chance you can give me a hand down at Karol Bagh?
    Cheers
  20. Gornzilla

Gornzilla Registered Slob

Oddometer:
    I had a seizure and have to postpone my trip to India. At least the story was funny. I had some morning sex with a friend of mine who spent her birthday night at my house. Right after I came, I had a seizure and pulled her with me off my bed. Landed on my back which the doctor thought I broke. The radiologist just got in touch with me minutes ago and said it's not broken. Man, what a relief.

First seizure in 3 years and completely unexpected. My old neurologist said I probably wouldn't have another. So, Delhi in late July or August. In time for monsoon season but I'll cancell making it to China to see the Olympics. I was waiting to find out if my back was broken before rescheduling my flight.